The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Need assistance on these questions:

1) Tom and Suki are brother and sister and go to the same school which is 2km from their home. Suki leaves each morning 10 minutes before Tom and walks. Tom cycles to school by the same route at four times Suki’s walking speed and arrives there 5 minutes before her.

How far from home is Suki when Tom leaves?

A) ½ km
B) 2/3 km
C) 1 km
D) 1 1/3 km
E) 1 ½ km

2) Annie, Barbara, Colin and David all attend regular clinics where they are encouraged to lose weight.

At the beginning of the year, they weighed 65, 80, 75 and 70kg respectively. During the year, all had a change in weight of more than 5kg. Colin lost more than either Barbara or Annie, David actually put on weight.

Which of the following is not a possible increasing order of their weights at the end of the year?

A) ABCD
B) CABD
C) CBAD
D) ACBD

3) A doctor’s surgery last from 9am to 11am. The appointments system allows her 5 minutes per patient. 20 minutes is kept free at the end of the surgery for emergency appointments. On a particular morning the doctor arrives late. 20 patients have been booked for appointments, but 2 do not attend. 1 patient takes 12 minutes to see, but the rest are given the normal 5 minutes. An urgent phone call takes 8 minutes. Surgery was completed at 11am despite a 5 minute emergency appointment.

By how many minutes was the doctor late?

Excuse any typos for question 3, was difficult to make out what the words were.
Reply 1381
Original post by adil12

1) Tom and Suki are brother and sister and go to the same school which is 2km from their home. Suki leaves each morning 10 minutes before Tom and walks. Tom cycles to school by the same route at four times Suki’s walking speed and arrives there 5 minutes before her.

A) ½ km
B) 2/3 km
C) 1 km
D) 1 1/3 km
E) 1 ½ km

2) Annie, Barbara, Colin and David all attend regular clinics where they are encouraged to lose weight.

At the beginning of the year, they weighed 65, 80, 75 and 70kg respectively. During the year, all had a change in weight of more than 5kg. Colin lost more than either Barbara or Annie, David actually put on weight.

Which of the following is not a possible increasing order of their weights at the end of the year?

A) ABCD
B) CABD
C) CBAD
D) ACBD

3) A doctor’s surgery last from 9am to 11am. The appointments system allows her 5 minutes per patient. 20 minutes is kept free at the end of the surgery for emergency appointments. On a particular morning the doctor arrives late. 20 patients have been booked for appointments, but 2 do not attend. 1 patient takes 12 minutes to see, but the rest are given the normal 5 minutes. An urgent phone call takes 8 minutes. Surgery was completed at 11am despite a 5 minute emergency appointment.

1) Say v is Suki's speed. Call t the time that Suki takes to get to the school. The time taken for Tom is therefore t-0.25 (in hrs, he leaves 10 minutes later and gets there 5 minutes earlier). Tom's speed is 4v. We can set up two simultaeneous equations.

2 = (v)(t)
2 = (4v)(t - 0.25)

vt = (4v)(t-0.25)

t = 4t - 1

3t = 1 therefore t = 1/3 hrs

2/(1/3) = v = 6km/h

After 10 minutes (1/6 hrs)

s = vt = 6 x 1/6 = 1km. C.

2) A=65
B=80
C=75
D=70

If C lost more than B then C has to be less than B since he started out less. Immediately we can see (a) is wrong since it orders C after B. A is the correct choice.

3) 9:10 I believe, but I'm not sure. So 10 minutes late.
Reply 1382
Original post by Medicz
I just need help on a few points in Section 2 Biology Specfication - Cant find them in the CGP books :frown:

Reproduction
f) about the physical and emotional changes that take place during adolescence
g) about the human reproductive system, including the menstrual cycle and fertilisation
h) how the fetus develops in the uterus, including the role of the placenta

Adaptation and competition
a) how the distribution and relative abundance of organisms in habitats can be explained using ideas of interdependence, adaptation, competition and predation
b) how the impact of humans on the environment depends on social and economic factors, including population size, industrial processes and levels of consumption and waste

Energy and nutrient transfer
f) the role of microbes and other organisms in the decomposition of organic materials and in the cycling of carbon and nitrogen

Nutrition
a) the processes of digestion, including the function of organs and the role of enzymes, stomach acid and biles

b) that habitats support a diversity of plants and animals that are interdependent
c) how some organisms are adapted to survive daily and seasonal changes in their habitats
d) how predation and competition for resources affect the size of populations [for example, bacteria, growth of vegetation]

Feeding relationships
e) about food webs composed of several food chains, and how food chains can be quantified using pyramids of numbers
f) how toxic materials can accumulate in food chains

---------------------------------

If someone can help me understand all those points, i will upload another Section 2 BMAT 2004 paper later :P

Thanks

i dont think that any of these are gonna come up... the bmat only focuses on human biology.
As for the bit about reproduction, in my cgp book (core science) it just says stuff like boys: voice deepens, girls: hips widen.. etc-- common sense stuff

the menstrual cycle i think is worth revising, it has come up a few times, again this is in my cgp book but just google it. (menstrual cycle) and get a diagram showing when the different hormones kick in etc. FSH, LH, oestrogen and progesterone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/aqa/human/hormonesrev3.shtml

and the stuff about the fetus... i think is AS stuff. i dont think its on the GCSE syllabus anymore.

hope that helps a bit at least :smile:

xx
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1383
Original post by l4ith
1) Say v is Suki's speed. Call t the time that Suki takes to get to the school. The time taken for Tom is therefore t-0.25 (in hrs, he leaves 10 minutes later and gets there 5 minutes earlier). Tom's speed is 4v. We can set up two simultaeneous equations.

2 = (v)(t)
2 = (4v)(t - 0.25)

vt = (4v)(t-0.25)

t = 4t - 1

2/(1/3) = v = 6km/h

2) A=65
B=80
C=75
D=70

If C lost more than B then C has to be less than B since he started out less. Immediately we can see (a) is wrong since it orders C after B. A is the correct choice.

Can always rely on you :biggrin: I got the same for the first one so that's good :smile: I was too lazy to do the second one, but your method is really fast and makes sense :smile: Is section 1 your strongest section by any chance? And 3) was difficult, firstly because it was hard to read lol, but the question was quite tough. I think I will try it and see what I get in comparison to what you got.
Reply 1384
Original post by l4ith

2 = (v)(t)
2 = (4v)(t - 0.25)

vt = (4v)(t-0.25)

t = 4t - 1

2/(1/3) = v = 6km/h

2) A=65
B=80
C=75
D=70

10 minutes late is correct, I think. I got the same. 18 patients, 5 mins each = 90 mins. One takes 7 minutes longer, so 97. Emergency phone call 8 mins makes 105, and emergency surgery 5 mins get's 110. 2 hours is 120 mins, so 120-110 = 10 minutes to spare, ie. late by 10 mins, hence arrived at 9:10.

Good job! You got them all :P very clear and concise working out for the first 2 as well. I'll be damned if you don't get in :wink:
Reply 1385
Original post by HJay
10 minutes late is correct, I think. I got the same. 18 patients, 5 mins each = 90 mins. One takes 7 minutes longer, so 97. Emergency phone call 8 mins makes 105, and emergency surgery 5 mins get's 110. 2 hours is 120 mins, so 120-110 = 10 minutes to spare, ie. late by 10 mins, hence arrived at 9:10.

Good job! You got them all :P very clear and concise working out for the first 2 as well. I'll be damned if you don't get in :wink:

Just did it and also got 10 minutes late :wink: And yes his explanations are very concise and I too will be surprised if he doesn't get in :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Narik
It is not every question that deserves an answer - Pubilius Syrus.
- What does the author mean by the above statement?
- Can you give examples of questions that some may believe do not deserve an aswer, but that you believe should?
- What criteria would you use to determine which question should be answered?

Pubilius Syrus' statement can be interpreted to suggest that an answer need not necessarily always follow a question. With the exception of rhetorical questions, the quote could be a reference to questions that are irrelevant or those with which an answer has little to offer. This essay intends to analyse examples where the statement holds true and where it is controversial, in order to be able to conclude what exactly determines a question's right for a response.

Differential diagnosis may involve a doctor taking a history to reach a correct diagnosis, through questioning the patient. The questions a doctor poses may seem entirely relevant to the doctor, but a patient may feel otherwise. One case study from the book 'Diagnosis' by Lisa Sanders clearly demonstrates such a difference. Ms. Rodgers was suffering from a rare condition in which she became nauseous as soon as she would leave hospital, despite receiving no medical treatment by any doctor. Dr. Hsia believed this may be due to continuing smoking marijuana when she left the hospital, and when she posed this question, Ms. Rodgers was infuriated. She felt it to be irrelevant since marijuana is often used to treat nausea. This example shows how views upon a 'right for a response' can differ between two parties due to differences in understanding, circumstance and the given situation.

NASA have often been criticised for the large amount of money that is used for, what much of the public may consider, irrelevant missions. For example, spending billions on a satellite to witness the manner in which two galaxies collide may seen unecessary since such information would serve us little purpose. In such a case, the controversy arises due to what is required for an answer to be gained.

Without a doubt, the context is probably the most important factor when determining whether Syrus' statement holds true or not. Using just these two examples, we can begin to consider the various critera that determine whether a given question deserves a response. This includes the effect the answer may have, whether an answer serves to provide any meaningful response and how one expects to arrive at the answer.

It's impressively written and some of the more scientific terminology doesn't feel like it's just been crammed in to make the essay look good. The citing of a case from a book was good and is something I haven't managed to do yet. But I also wouldn't go for the whole 'this essay' thing. I've been advised to outline what is going to be addressed in the essay but it looks a bit out of place and I'm personally not going to bother. Also I'm not sure if it's quite enough to cite a point each for and against. They're well explained but I'm not sure if that's enough for a proper argument.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1387
Original post by Medicz
I just need help on a few points in Section 2 Biology Specfication - Cant find them in the CGP books :frown:

Reproduction
f) about the physical and emotional changes that take place during adolescence
g) about the human reproductive system, including the menstrual cycle and fertilisation
h) how the fetus develops in the uterus, including the role of the placenta

a) how the distribution and relative abundance of organisms in habitats can be explained using ideas of interdependence, adaptation, competition and predation
b) how the impact of humans on the environment depends on social and economic factors, including population size, industrial processes and levels of consumption and waste

Energy and nutrient transfer
f) the role of microbes and other organisms in the decomposition of organic materials and in the cycling of carbon and nitrogen

Nutrition
a) the processes of digestion, including the function of organs and the role of enzymes, stomach acid and biles

b) that habitats support a diversity of plants and animals that are interdependent
c) how some organisms are adapted to survive daily and seasonal changes in their habitats
d) how predation and competition for resources affect the size of populations [for example, bacteria, growth of vegetation]

Feeding relationships
e) about food webs composed of several food chains, and how food chains can be quantified using pyramids of numbers
f) how toxic materials can accumulate in food chains

---------------------------------

If someone can help me understand all those points, i will upload another Section 2 BMAT 2004 paper later :P

Thanks

ok,
Where are you and everyone else getting the specification from ?!! If someone could post a link please!
Thank you :smile:
Reply 1388
Original post by HJay

:colondollar: Thank you both I am sure you'll both go where you want to!!
Original post by adil12

A) ½ km
B) 2/3 km
C) 1 km
D) 1 1/3 km
E) 1 ½ km

A) ABCD
B) CABD
C) CBAD
D) ACBD

lol, the first one is exactly like the question in the old prep for bmat book but with diferent names
Original post by l4ith

2 = (v)(t)
2 = (4v)(t - 0.25)

vt = (4v)(t-0.25)

t = 4t - 1

2/(1/3) = v = 6km/h

2) A=65
B=80
C=75
D=70

wow ~ speedy! can i ask which college you are going for in cambridge? :biggrin:
can anyone give me any advice on this essay? help would be much appreciated :biggrin:

Our genes evolved for a Stone Age lifestyle. Therefore, we must adopt Stone Age habits if we are to be healthy.

Write an unified essay in which you address the following:
1. Explain the logical connexion between the 2 sentences
2. What might be the practical implications if were to agree with the reasoning?
3. Discuss the extent to which the argument is valid

This statement suggests that our genes evolved for a stone age lifestyle. Since our genotype largely determine how we function as an organism, we must adopt the lifestyle that suits our genes the most because this will allow our bodies to function the best and hence keep us healthy.

However, if this were the case, many problems would arise. Our health is indeed improved if we eat organic foods, but with the rapidly expanding world population reliance of purely organic farming would not be able to feed the entire population. Hence by adopting Stone Age habits aimed at keeping us healthy it could have the opposite effect and lead to starvation of parts of the population. Likewise, it is simply not possible for the majority to adopt the living habits of the Stone Age, as there is a lack of space, despite the fact that living further apart could reduce the transmission of diseases and improve our health. Furthermore, if Stone Age habits were brought into science and technology there would be a lack of proper experimental procedure and could impede the progress of scientific advancement: potentially with severe implications for the treatment of illnesses, hence going against the ideology of keeping us healthy.

Hence, this argument is only valid where the environment and resources are available to allow us to adopt a Stone Age lifestyle. Unfortunately, for the majority this is simply not practical or possible, and adoption of this could lead to a worsening of health rather than an improvement, as there are not enough resources available in the world to allow this to happen.
Reply 1392
Original post by gildartz
lol, the first one is exactly like the question in the old prep for bmat book but with diferent names

Lol figures, and they sell the old prep for bmat books these days?
Reply 1393
Hey guys, my teacher gave me this BMAT essay question for practice. I've already written an essay about it, but I wanna see how all you super smart people would go about tackling it :wink:

Question is:

"Plants do not have brains because they cannot walk.

-Summarise the argument by which this statement might be justified
-How might one argue against it?
-Can any such arguments be verified by experiment?"
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1394
Original post by Luckyalways
wow ~ speedy! can i ask which college you are going for in cambridge? :biggrin:

Trinity :O
Original post by HJay
Hey guys, my teacher gave me this BMAT essay question for practice. I've already written an essay about it, but I wanna see how all you super smart people would go about tackling it :wink:

Question is:

"Plants do not have brains because they cannot walk.

-Summarise the argument by which this statement might be justified
-How might one argue against it?
-Can any such arguments be verified by experiment?"

This statement could be justified because organisms with brains usually use the brain to control the body for movement in order to increase its chances of survival by, for example, foraging for food, rather than waiting for food to come to it. Moreover, it could be argued that organisms with brains would mobilise the body in movement in search of shelter, or mate, that could increase the likelihood of its genes being passed on to the next generation.

However, in the case of plants, it is perfectly justifiable to argue that the fact that plants cannot walk does not mean that it does not possess a brain. Plants can photosynthesis, making their own food, which eliminates the need for movement in search for food. The roots of plants keep is stabilised during severe weather conditions, so it does not need to search for a shelter, and in terms of mate, pollen is spread by insects and by the wind, so there is no need for movement. Therefore, the lack of need of movement does not in itself present an arguement for plants lacking in a brain. Moreover, lack of movement does not indicate lack of brain, as illustrated in a human example. In those who are paralysed so they cannot move, and are in a persistent vegetative state, they are not necessarily lacking a brain, and hence that arguemnt is not valid.

Experimentally, one could determine whether plants possess a brain by taking away resources that the plant are accustomed to, for example, sunlight, to see whether the plant responds by searching for food in other ways. It is also possible to try to paralyse parts of the plant, and see whether paralysis of a particular section would stop the responsiveness of plants.

could anyone give me any feedback on this essay? I felt i was blabbing by the end of it.... how could i improve it and not sound stupid?:s-smilie:
Original post by l4ith
Trinity :O

good luck! :biggrin: Your amazing academic profile will get you in :smile:
Reply 1397
Original post by Luckyalways
This statement could be justified because organisms with brains usually use the brain to control the body for movement in order to increase its chances of survival by, for example, foraging for food, rather than waiting for food to come to it. Moreover, it could be argued that organisms with brains would mobilise the body in movement in search of shelter, or mate, that could increase the likelihood of its genes being passed on to the next generation.

However, in the case of plants, it is perfectly justifiable to argue that the fact that plants cannot walk does not mean that it does not possess a brain. Plants can photosynthesis, making their own food, which eliminates the need for movement in search for food. The roots of plants keep is stabilised during severe weather conditions, so it does not need to search for a shelter, and in terms of mate, pollen is spread by insects and by the wind, so there is no need for movement. Therefore, the lack of need of movement does not in itself present an arguement for plants lacking in a brain. Moreover, lack of movement does not indicate lack of brain, as illustrated in a human example. In those who are paralysed so they cannot move, and are in a persistent vegetative state, they are not necessarily lacking a brain, and hence that arguemnt is not valid.

Experimentally, one could determine whether plants possess a brain by taking away resources that the plant are accustomed to, for example, sunlight, to see whether the plant responds by searching for food in other ways. It is also possible to try to paralyse parts of the plant, and see whether paralysis of a particular section would stop the responsiveness of plants.

could anyone give me any feedback on this essay? I felt i was blabbing by the end of it.... how could i improve it and not sound stupid?:s-smilie:

That's a really good essay, you're not sounding stupid at all :P
the one I wrote was quite different to yours though, in several aspects. Here you've talked in detail about why a plant does not NEED a brain (because it is autotrophic etc and doesn't have any reasons to move) however I think you could have made it more relevant to the question asked.

I also mentioned the part about the paralysed human beings, so that's well pointed out there. You could have listed more arguments against the point made in the question I think.

For the experiment part, I really didn't know what to say. I mentioned monitoring neuronal activity between plants and a walking and non-walking organism, but I'm sure I was blabbing as well. Any comments on the experiment part guys?

I'll wait for a few more responses and then I'll add my essay in to the mix and see how it fares :smile:
hey genius people could help me on this question

Tim works each day from Monday to Friday. At 5pm each day at work Tim receives 7 tokens.
At 1pm on any day at work Tim can exchange a certain number of these tokens for a free meal
(which always costs the same number of tokens).
On the morning of Monday 1st Tim had 20 tokens. He will take a free lunch on any day that he
has enough tokens. The first day that Tim cannot get a free meal is Tuesday 9th.
What day of the week will it be on the second time that Tim cannot get a free meal?
A Monday
B Tuesday
C Wednesday
D Thursday
E Friday
Fluoride can be added to the water supply in order to reduce tooth decay in the population. But it should not be used in this way to prevent tooth decay, because no one should have medication forced upon them. Moreover, fluoride has side effects; it can affect the immune system and can cause diabetes. Those who drink a lot of water would have a very high dosage of fluoride. It is not unfluoridated water which causes tooth decay, it is sugar. We should deal with the cause of the problem, and reduce our intake of sugar, instead of forcing people to use a medication which will put their health at risk.
Which of the following best expresses the conclusion of the above argument?
A It is wrong to force anyone to take a medication.
B Drinking fluoridated water puts our health at risk.
C In order to avoid tooth decay we should reduce our intake of sugar.
D Fluoride should not be added to the water supply to prevent tooth decay.
E People who drink a lot of water would suffer illness if water were fluoridated.

can someone please help with this? why is the correct answer D and not C? :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending