The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A - Chains, Energy and Resources (F322). POST EXAM DISCUSSION.

Scroll to see replies

ViralRiver
They will never ask about major and minor compounds, you just need to know that two different products can be formed.

Thats luckly then. That was something else I wasn't 100% sure on.
At least that's what it says in the OCR book. It just says to research the guy's name if you want to know more (and doesn't say anything about the greater atomic mass or whatever you said). So, unless the OCR book is wrong, it won't come up.
ghostkillah
I just did the Jan 2010 paper. Fairly difficult - stuff on there like Kyoto protocol for the answers but on the spec OCR says it cant be examined?. 79/100 so hopefully that was an A. Need to sort out esters - especially drawing them. eg: c6h10o4 - the formula is crazy. Can someone help me out with drawing esters??

ye i dont understand that because they say any change to the spec would have a black line and the kyoto protocol doesn't, when it says not examinable does that mean you can use it in an answer but they wont ask you about it?
please can someone confirm this alot of people have been asking this :frown:
there are two cycles if they ask it for combustion, they would give you a table with the combustion values for each compound.

if its for the formation cycle they will give you the values from a table containing the formation values of the compounds.
:yep: :yep: :yep:
How do you draw esters? o0
Ok, I tried doing the structural formula for esterification between propanoic acid and butanol to make butyl propanoate. Can anyone tell me whether this is right?

CH3CH2COOH+CH3(CH2)2CH(OH)CH3CH2CO(CH2)3CH3+H2OCH_3CH_2COOH+CH_3(CH_2)_2CH(OH)\rightarrow CH_3CH_2CO(CH_2)_3CH_3+H_2O

Thanks.
94/100 on june 09 :biggrin:

Most marks lost on the green chemistry questions... Must revise those later on....
Reply 388
97/100 on the specimen paper. :smile:
I am an idiot though, and misread the last question so forgot to talk about hydration of but-1-ene. Eurgh. Lost me two marks
ViralRiver
Ok, I tried doing the structural formula for esterification between propanoic acid and butanol to make butyl propanoate. Can anyone tell me whether this is right?

Thanks.

an ester is a carbon with 2 oxygens on it. one of those oxygens will have a double bond. there is only one oxygen in your product so it must be wrong.

this is methylethanoate

CH3OCOCH3

notice how the oxygens are next to the carbon
i think i found another mistake in the heinamann text book can someone confirm this

page 143 question 11

look at the answer by have they used c2h5 in the termination step when its butane reacting with bromine :s
Reply 391
Good news, exams tomorrow and I'm averaging 96% on F322( and 100% on the two papers on this thread) lets just hope they don't put in to many ambiguous questions :frown:
Reply 392
ffs im feeling sleepy even after having a little nap and nothings going in :banghead:
LazyWorseThanInfidel
an ester is a carbon with 2 oxygens on it. one of those oxygens will have a double bond. there is only one oxygen in your product so it must be wrong.

this is methylethanoate

CH3OCOCH3

notice how the oxygens are next to the carbon

I misread my diagram >< . Is this the product?

CH3CH2COO(CH2)3CH3CH_3CH_2COO(CH_2)_3CH_3
Reply 394
Can someone please help me?
I've just done the specimen paper and for question 6(b)(i) where it asks for a balanced equation for the complete combustion of heptane i got:
C7H16 + 11o2 -> 7CO2 + 8H2O
but the answer says 11.5 O2.
And i don't understand the answer for the polymer of but-2-ene (showing 2 repeat units) either on question 7?
i got..
.............CH3.....CH3......CH3......CH3
.............|........|..........|.........|
......... -- C --- C ------ C ----- C --
............ |........|.........|.........|
............ H........H.........H.........H

Is this right because the mark scheme says it isn't :frown:

Please help :smile:
Pedus
ffs im feeling sleepy even after having a little nap and nothings going in :banghead:

I thought you did every paper and was prepared :confused:
Pedus

same here and it feels like ive forgotten all the green chem stuff :s

i feel like times running out now, im gonna try to revise till 11 hopefully then go to sleep.

btw does anyone know if we have to learn any apparatuses for reflux, or for Q=mct, because they are in the text book and even the revision guide and i haven't learnt them :frown:
ViralRiver
I misread my diagram >< . Is this the product?

thats right

strange how it isnt called propyl butanoate isnt it
Reply 398
intellectual1
I thought you did every paper and was prepared :confused:

maybe, but the nerves are getting the better of me today :puppyeyes:
Reply 399
Pedus
maybe, but the nerves are getting the better of me today :puppyeyes:

so am i. i think i've been over-doing it since friday, even through the night 'cause last night i had a dream about equations. :eek3: today i feel like a zombie.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending