The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hope it goes well for you guys. :smile:

If you want I'll help answer any queries you have.
Reply 2
well just back... i thought the credit paper 1 was hard, and paper 2 slightly easier. Overall, some tricky bits, making it quite hard but in general i think the credit was a fair paper i would say... and the invigilators let us keep the papers again :smile:
Reply 3
Had a wee glance at the paper 1 after th 4th years had finished. Was quite surprised about the first question in paper 1. It wasn't a difficult question, just a slightly odd one. But from what I saw, the 1st paper was very fair. 3 marks for changing the subject...IMO, the paper looked easier than last years one. Mind you, haven't seen paper 2.
Reply 4
jackwka
Had a wee glance at the paper 1 after th 4th years had finished. Was quite surprised about the first question in paper 1. It wasn't a difficult question, just a slightly odd one. But from what I saw, the 1st paper was very fair. 3 marks for changing the subject...IMO, the paper looked easier than last years one. Mind you, haven't seen paper 2.

yeh the changing the subject one was good. From speaking to people in my year, p1 q1 caused problems as some weren't sure where % came in relation to order. I did (40% of £11.50) = 4.6-1.81 = 2.79 ?

ive got a question for anyone willing to help...

In paper 2: Question 7 says, ...
Two bottles...

-smaller bottle v= 200ml height = 12
-larger bottle v= 1600 height = ?

I gathered it was to do with enlargement scale factor, so i did 1600/200 = 8 x 12 = 96cm. But im pretty sure this is wrong as a 1m high bottle of shampoo is ridiculous. Any ideas? friend mentioned something about v cubed??
Reply 5
icecold94
yeh the changing the subject one was good. From speaking to people in my year, p1 q1 caused problems as some weren't sure where % came in relation to order. I did (40% of £11.50) = 4.6-1.81 = 2.79 ?

Two bottles...

I gathered it was to do with enlargement scale factor, so i did 1600/200 = 8 x 12 = 96cm. But im pretty sure this is wrong as a 1m high bottle of shampoo is ridiculous. Any ideas? friend mentioned something about v cubed??

From what I remember, when calculating the volume, you would first calculate the scale factor and then cube it. If it was area, you would have squared it. But you will only have lost a mark at worst assuming the rest is right.
icecold94

Two bottles...

Yeah, you were meant to cube it. I always hate that, I used to get it wrong all the time until I battered it into my brain. I got 512 though, and multiplied that by 12 and got like, 1644 or something. That's insanity so I cube rooted it and got 18 point something. Probably wrong, but it's more realistic than a bottle over a thousand centimetres high. Ha.
Reply 7
icecold94

Two bottles...

I also got 96! It was a stupid question but if you divided 1600 by 96 and 200 by 12 you actually got the same both times I found... I don't know if that's even relevant but thought I'd add it in
_Stephieee
I also got 96! It was a stupid question but if you divided 1600 by 96 and 200 by 12 you actually got the same both times I found... I don't know if that's even relevant but thought I'd add it in

well i thought that 1600/ 200 = 8 was the volume scale factor so the scale factor was cube root of which was 2... then i times that by 12 to give 24?
gibbogersfan
well i thought that 1600/ 200 = 8 was the volume scale factor so the scale factor was cube root of which was 2... then i times that by 12 to give 24?

Oh c***. You're probably right. Why did they confuse me, I'm not used to doing it backwards! We usually have to work out what the volume scale factor is, not cube root the factor or whatever. Grrrr. :mad:
NaturalDisaster
Oh c***. You're probably right. Why did they confuse me, I'm not used to doing it backwards! We usually have to work out what the volume scale factor is, not cube root the factor or whatever. Grrrr. :mad:

Hopefully lol

I wish i never came on here lol cos ive done so many things wrong that i hadnt noticed and now people have brought them to my attention lol grrr!
gibbogersfan
Hopefully lol

I wish i never came on here lol cos ive done so many things wrong that i hadnt noticed and now people have brought them to my attention lol grrr!

Join the club. It cheered me up for English and Chemistry because they had the same answers as me, but now it's making me want to run into a wall! Maths is so not my strong point. Taking it next year though. I actually though General was harder than Credit because I didn't study General stuff at all! The KU was annoying as hell because of that. Seriously, my teachers didn't bother, they just prepped my class for Credit. But if I get a one it will be so worth it. :biggrin: Next one's German. How fast can I flick through a dictionary? Bliss. Hardly any thinking to do, half the work's already done. Yessssss.
Reply 12
jackwka

last years non calc was hard. only managed to get a 2 but got a sucessful appeal. :biggrin:
Reply 13
Ah i remember last year, somehow managed to get a 1 in both even though i missed out a few questions in each one, i write really slowly. Higher maths in 16 days.
_Stephieee

I see people are saying there was a changing the subject question! How did you find it lol? Hope i helped you get 3 marks :woo: haha :biggrin:
gibbogersfan

This sounds correct to me. (Im not the best source but im in first year uni maths). Indeed having to calculate Volume Scale Factor is something I havent really seen so for them to make you do that and in reverse really wouldnt be easy. :/
Reply 16
matthew93
I see people are saying there was a changing the subject question! How did you find it lol? Hope i helped you get 3 marks :woo: haha :biggrin:

the change the subject question was (changing to s)

t=7s+4 over 2

My working:

2t = 7s + 4
2t-4 = 7s
s = 2t-4 over 7

that sound right ? (and i know im not the one you helped, i just wanted to check my answer)

What did people get for the very last question on paper 2 about depth of the water in the harbour. Asking what the maximum depth difference was?
icecold94
the change the subject question was (changing to s)

t=7s+4 over 2

My working:

2t = 7s + 4
2t-4 = 7s
s = 2t-4 over 7

that sound right ? (and i know im not the one you helped, i just wanted to check my answer)

That seems bravo! :biggrin: I miss SG!
Reply 18
icecold94

Two bottles...

What you have to remember for these types of questions is simple... the volume scale factor = linear scale factor(cubed)

So to find the height of the bottle find the cube root of the volume scale factor, which was 2, and multiply the height of the miniture bottle by 2 - which you've just found- to find the height off the salon bottle.
Oops never noticed this thread, had been posting in the general Standard Grade Exams thread.

I thought the papers today were harder than any of the past papers I had done from the past few years :frown: But then again, maybe it's just cause that was the real thing!
Paper 1 was hardest for me, followed by Paper 2.

I'll second gibbogersfan's answer to the scale factor question, I also got 24cm. Some of the questions were easy enough provided you'd done some past papers and revision, but some I had never come across before and was just... baffled to be honest.
Like with the obtuse one, I ended up leaving my answer as 53 degrees, I had no idea I had to take it from 180 :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending