The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Insurance acceptees and their accommodation whinage

Helloo all. I'm planning to start an English degree at Bristol next month (missed an offer at Cam). I have only just got home from hols and the excessive formage is stressing me out already. Where shall I couch? What shall I eat? And why must I enclose six first class stamps?

If anyone else would like to join my whinage and stressing, please do. Misery loves company.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
in the pack i was sent it seems like i've got to send ANOTHER passport photo, i've allready sent them two. Tisk.

Thats my moan for the day :biggrin:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
[MOAN]So many forms!!! Arggghhhhh! Suddenly my bank account looks inadequate! And i have to make up some amazing excuses to get a parking space permit :frown:[/MOAN]
No one *needs* a car at uni. So lack of parking permit is not a valid excuse for whineage. :p:
Reply 4
What about the Royal Mail, can I moan about how long it takes them to deliver anything to me? :mad:
Reply 5
susiemakemeblue
No one *needs* a car at uni. So lack of parking permit is not a valid excuse for whineage. :p:

It's true; cars are more hassle than they're worth down at uni. Parking in Bristol is impossible (I'm not exaggerating), and the city council charge through the roof for their spaces.
I've had to wave goodbye to my car...

I cant believe its gunna be a whole 4 YEARS before I'll be driving again!

If we're moaning about banks then Natwest made me my debit card, randomly destroyed it before they sent it out, and didnt bother telling me about it! I think I've got another one coming now though... Well, I better have.
To the original poster:

The best piece of advice I can give you is try not to whine. I know it's difficult when you don't know whether or not you'll get accommodation, but if you join the waiting list as soon as possible, then hopefully a place in halls should come up in the first few weeks.

The most important thing is that you don't come to Bristol with a negative attitude. If you come to Bristol wishing you were at Cambridge, you're almost guaranteed to hate it. If you make yourself believe you had a lucky escape and didn't want to go to Cambridge anyway, and really throw yourself into it and make lots of friends, you'll love it.
Reply 8
susiemakemeblue

The most important thing is that you don't come to Bristol with a negative attitude. If you come to Bristol wishing you were at Cambridge, you're almost guaranteed to hate it. If you make yourself believe you had a lucky escape and didn't want to go to Cambridge anyway, and really throw yourself into it and make lots of friends, you'll love it.

Fantastic advice. I have a good friend who was an Oxbridge reject who wasn't really expecting to go anywhere other than their first choice (it's not egotistical, it's just hard to plan for if things go wrong). He's never regretted it, and has mentioned on a number of occasions that if he had to go through it all again, he'd pick Bristol first any day.

As long as you keep an open mind, be friendly to everyone the first week, everything else (accommodation included) won't seem as tough to deal with.
Oh, and by the way Ellie, we'll be course-mates :smile:
Reply 10
Hey Susie! Thanks for the "buck up, old pal" style advice. I needed to hear that. I already feel rather thankful that I'm not going to Cambridge (it's weird and spooky there, and I am a big slacker!!).. It's just that I am worried about being homeless/living with psycho strangers who I've never met before. I guess there's always the chance that could happen to me in halls.. So where are you going to live?
Reply 11
resNET and sports pass cheques? They want far too many cheques, I swear I've sent loads already?

Damn cheques. damn .. damn, bloody, damn damn *mumbles* :mad:
Reply 12
Cambridge reject here too! Then again, Insurance people are only really going to come from Oxbridge I should expect, no?

However, I'm really going to throw myself into Bristol... the only thing that I'm really that annoyed about is not having all that lah-di-dah formal hall stuff... which apparently Wills Hall has. (though obviously I'm not going to apply there. Badock is my first choice. I'm hoping that they think "wow - someone wants to come here?" due to their low ratio of applicants to places.)

Then again I'd only get bored of formals after a few weeks anyway, and getting drunk on cheap wine is what it is.

Anyway - sending the form of tomorrow morning with all the stamps and stuff.
Reply 13
Peter_E
It's true; cars are more hassle than they're worth down at uni. Parking in Bristol is impossible (I'm not exaggerating), and the city council charge through the roof for their spaces.

I'm not going to use it in Bristol, just to get home and to places outside Bristol. I like walking :smile:

I intend to walk to the uni buildings each day :smile:
Reply 14
Steveee
Cambridge reject here too! Then again, Insurance people are only really going to come from Oxbridge I should expect, no?

However, I'm really going to throw myself into Bristol... the only thing that I'm really that annoyed about is not having all that lah-di-dah formal hall stuff... which apparently Wills Hall has. (though obviously I'm not going to apply there. Badock is my first choice. I'm hoping that they think "wow - someone wants to come here?" due to their low ratio of applicants to places.)

Then again I'd only get bored of formals after a few weeks anyway, and getting drunk on cheap wine is what it is.

Anyway - sending the form of tomorrow morning with all the stamps and stuff.

Im an oxford and cambridge reject :biggrin: (along with Durham, KCL, Nottingham, Edinburgh, LSE....)

Had a choice of Bristol or York this year, and as Bristol would have been my second choice after Oxford, I was pretty happy to get it in the end.
Reply 15
I guess I actually am whining. It's really strange, because they sort the accommodation out so that insurance people have to bloody crap their pants waiting, when the insurance people would generally be better qualified than the Firm people. I don't particularly care, and I'm not bitter at all, but it does appear that I, and people like me, are being punished for being offered a place by Oxbridge. Surely it couldn't hurt to delay the process by two weeks?

As I say - just an observation - it was, after all, only me who missed my offer, and thus didn't live up to my potential. My fault.
Reply 16
Steveee
I guess I actually am whining. It's really strange, because they sort the accommodation out so that insurance people have to bloody crap their pants waiting, when the insurance people would generally be better qualified than the Firm people. I don't particularly care, and I'm not bitter at all, but it does appear that I, and people like me, are being punished for being offered a place by Oxbridge. Surely it couldn't hurt to delay the process by two weeks?

As I say - just an observation - it was, after all, only me who missed my offer, and thus didn't live up to my potential. My fault.

I think it's more of a loyalty thing, Bristol are more endeared to the people who put them as their first choice and so they put them first.

I'm a Cambridge reject from last year, took a year out to do some retakes and now i'm going to do an arguably better course at Bristol. At least that way I got to choose my accomodation :smile:
Reply 17
Yeah, its like Wowbagger said - its not about qualifications, its about loyalty. People that put Bristol as their firm should have advantages over people putting Bristol as their insurance because it is their "first choice". I think its a fair system, and I would still think its a fair system if I had gone my to insurance (Cardiff). Why should people who decided they were going to Bristol ages ago wait longer to find out their accomodation?

For me it was the icing on the cake when I found out I got into my first choice accomodation a few days after results day. I had a really good time celebrating and to be told that soon was really nice - I wouldn't have had the same experience if it was put on hold sorting insurance people out aswell.

I really don't think accomodation should be about people being better qualified or not. There will be people who put Bristol as their firm with grades the same as yours/better than yours but just because they didn't get an offer from oxbridge, or didn't apply there in the first place, doesn't mean they are less qualified than you.
Reply 18
Steveee

Also, going for Oxbridge is basically the risk you take. You're not being punished, you've got an offer at a top flight uni and you've been unlucky not to get in but it was your choice to take their offer. It's a bit much to then expect preferential treatment if you don't meet it.

PS, i'm sure you didn't mean it like that, but implying that you're better qualified than the people who chose Bristol as their first choice, inadvertently or not, isn't going to make you a hell of a lot of friends on the forum :smile:

PPS, I wouldn't worry too much about missing your offer. Oxford and Cambridge are running on the fumes of their reputation. They can no longer be realistically seen to be the best place to do all of their subjects. A fair number of them maybe, but not all of them. It's certainly not the case for aerospace.
Reply 19
Sian01
Yeah, its like Wowbagger said - its not about qualifications, its about loyalty. People that put Bristol as their firm should have advantages over people putting Bristol as their insurance because it is their "first choice". I think its a fair system, and I would still think its a fair system if I had gone my to insurance (Cardiff). Why should people who decided they were going to Bristol ages ago wait longer to find out their accomodation?

For me it was the icing on the cake when I found out I got into my first choice accomodation a few days after results day. I had a really good time celebrating and to be told that soon was really nice - I wouldn't have had the same experience if it was put on hold sorting insurance people out aswell.

I really don't think accomodation should be about people being better qualified or not. There will be people who put Bristol as their firm with grades the same as yours/better than yours but just because they didn't get an offer from oxbridge, or didn't apply there in the first place, doesn't mean they are less qualified than you.

Completely agree, just wish they'd get back to me on my accomodation!

Latest

Trending

Trending