The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Missed Southampton accommodation offer

My fault but I missed accepting my accommodation offer for Glen Eyre starting 2023. I am gutted. The accommodation office say I must look at private accommodation now. I will be a fresher so am keen to be in halls. Does anyone know what my chance of getting a place in halls perhaps quite late? Thank you
Original post by Ellie237
My fault but I missed accepting my accommodation offer for Glen Eyre starting 2023. I am gutted. The accommodation office say I must look at private accommodation now. I will be a fresher so am keen to be in halls. Does anyone know what my chance of getting a place in halls perhaps quite late? Thank you

Surely the accommodation office would be most likely to know, and they've said to look for private accommodation. Doesn't that suggest that the chance of being allocated a place in halls, having been offered a place in halls but not accepting it, is now zero?
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Surely the accommodation office would be most likely to know, and they've said to look for private accommodation. Doesn't that suggest that the chance of being allocated a place in halls, having been offered a place in halls but not accepting it, is now zero?

I just didn’t know whether, if there is a chance of rooms becoming available if people miss their grades, that I could get a room late, last in the pile so to speak. If so, I would not leap too quickly into paying a deposit etc for a private accommodation.
I just didn’t know whether, if there is a chance of rooms becoming available if people miss their grades, that I could get a room late, last in the pile so to speak. If so, I would not leap too quickly into paying a deposit etc for a private accommodation.

You are correct that some students who made Southampton their firm choice will miss the grade requirements and so will not have that place confirmed; the rooms nominally allocated to them will become available. However, a similar number will likely have chosen Southampton as their insurance choice, having selected some other university as their firm choice, missed those grades, and so have their Southampton offer confirmed instead. These students will need accommodation.

Following this process, there may be some space (depending on how the numbers work out) but the fact that the accommodation office have said that you must seek private accommodation suggests that they are not hopeful. There will potentially be students joining Southampton after results day via Clearing, and those students will presumably find a way to secure private accommodation at the last minute. So if you didn't want to risk losing your deposit on private accommodation which you might not need, you could always wait until you know whether or not Southampton will be able to able to offer you a room.

However, the fact that the "accommodation office say I must look at private accommodation" suggests that maybe that don't allow this approach anyway (i.e. for you to on some sort of waiting list in case a room becomes available).
Reply 4
Any updates pleasee
Reply 5
im going into second year and ive decided that i dont want to l live in the house iv gotten with 7 other girls so if your intersted let me know
Reply 6

In the same position. However they gave me my last choice, to which ignored on purpose because I have to be near the uni due to my course. Didnt even know they wouldnt let me do another application (which in my opinion is really stupid of them to do) 🫠
Any updates? This is a new thing for them to do, which is so unfair
Reply 7

I was allocated a private hall through the Southampton accommodation system, so there may be a lot of other Southampton students in a similar situation. If I go to Southampton I'll be in Lucia Foster Welch (it's technically a Solent Uni Hall but Southampton reserves some spaces there every year incase their own halls aren't enough), and I'm sure many others will be there too. So you'll still be able to be with other Southampton students. I'm also gutted I didn't get into the halls on campus but when I called them they said there is no chance of getting into them. Not sure why since surely some students won't get in and will make spaces available?
Reply 8
Original post by DataVenia
You are correct that some students who made Southampton their firm choice will miss the grade requirements and so will not have that place confirmed; the rooms nominally allocated to them will become available. However, a similar number will likely have chosen Southampton as their insurance choice, having selected some other university as their firm choice, missed those grades, and so have their Southampton offer confirmed instead. These students will need accommodation.

Following this process, there may be some space (depending on how the numbers work out) but the fact that the accommodation office have said that you must seek private accommodation suggests that they are not hopeful. There will potentially be students joining Southampton after results day via Clearing, and those students will presumably find a way to secure private accommodation at the last minute. So if you didn't want to risk losing your deposit on private accommodation which you might not need, you could always wait until you know whether or not Southampton will be able to able to offer you a room.

However, the fact that the "accommodation office say I must look at private accommodation" suggests that maybe that don't allow this approach anyway (i.e. for you to on some sort of waiting list in case a room becomes available).

I put Southampton as my insurance choice and I also got allocated accommodation by Southampton but not in their main campus. All insurance choice students have to apply for accommodation through the same process as firm students so it's definitely not to us that they give accomodation left by people who didn't get their grades, in fact, most of us should be freeing up more space by going to our firm choices. Like OP I'm very confused as to where all those extra rooms go.
Reply 9
Original post by leeyaho
im going into second year and ive decided that i dont want to l live in the house iv gotten with 7 other girls so if your intersted let me know

Hey I'm interested in this. I'm also a girl, 19 (retook a year earlier in school), going to start in the first year doing a maths degree. Southampton is my insurance choice after Bristol, so I wouldn't be able to confirm until alevel results day but that is the same for all candidate right?
Reply 10
Original post by leeyaho

Hi, if this is still available then I would be interested. However, I am a postgraduate student starting in September. I’m a 23 female. Please let me know if this is still available :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending