The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
antz_1991
21/5/10 AQA AS Geography, anyone else do r River % Flood managemants, cold enviroments, poulation and Health, find this difficult ?

i thought it was easssaaaayy :P was well happy, did rivers and flood management population and health and food and the coastal stuffs
Reply 2
dam, i thought it was well solid >.< any idea's what i need to get atleast and E ?
Reply 3
antz_1991
dam, i thought it was well solid >.< any idea's what i need to get atleast and E ?

ul be fine grade boudnries usually REALLy low its last couple years 53% was an A!!!!! i might be able to get 100 UMS :P but anyway yer ul be fine if u want an E
Reply 4
cheer's just need an E so i can retake it hopefull in january, coz i'm screwed if i get a U >.<
I found the first question about rivers a bit strange....the one with the map. most of it was ok, but in the health section the question about your chosen disease of affluence distribution was ridiculous...i can tell you anything about obesity, but 6 marks on how it is distributed? really?

anyway im glad to hear that the grade boundaries have been low recently lol :smile:
Reply 6
i totally messed up, i wrote about the correct stuff on case studies for the 15mark river section bit wrote all about economical and social impacts, but i named the two locations wrong. I forgot the names so i randomly said it was kent and south africa. For the disease question i talked about Yellow fever disease which is another huge **** up >.<
Reply 7
i didnt do this exam but when i was looking through grade boundaries for my other subjects i noticed geography unit 1 was only 50% for an A!! why is this, even history which is alot harder is around 65%
Reply 8
Wezzler
i didnt do this exam but when i was looking through grade boundaries for my other subjects i noticed geography unit 1 was only 50% for an A!! why is this, even history which is alot harder is around 65%

its because they find the raw precentage of top 25 percent in country and that is the A grade boundy so if top 25% only get 50% then thats A grade boundries
Reply 9
The exam was okay but i didnt like the questions. I think i did well but i was never satisfied with writing a bit massive case study rant, because all the questions required more of a general overview, dipping into a few different case studies rather than explaining one in detail.

All those facts and figures wasted!
And...4 marks to explain the difference between morbidity and mortality? How much can you really write?

The floods in contracting areas was a nice question though, pretty much the same as GCSE in most aspects.
Reply 10
!!!! That exam was crazy! The first question threw me a bit... It was more like skills and you couldn't read the contour liunes... How did everyone do on that? What did everyone think of the 6 mark headland and bays question?
Reply 11
Swimstar
!!!! That exam was crazy! The first question threw me a bit... It was more like skills and you couldn't read the contour liunes... How did everyone do on that? What did everyone think of the 6 mark headland and bays question?

Same about the contour lines, I got a bit scared because i would have had to spend ages looking at all the contours closely for such a low mark question, in the end i just mentioned a load of waterfalls and said it got less steep.

As for the headlands and bays one, that was a bit weird too given its probably the quickest to explain out of all the landforms. I drew a diagram to fill up the space XD
people who did health
what did you write for the tobacco question?
Reply 13
I found the exam SO hard, especially food and population.

Anyone get completely stumped on the food 15 marker? :s

For the first question....waffling was the answer and for the headland and bays question I drew a little diagram of wave refraction and spoke about discordant coastlines.

I'm relying on that 50% boundary :s
Reply 14
04ghicks
Same about the contour lines, I got a bit scared because i would have had to spend ages looking at all the contours closely for such a low mark question, in the end i just mentioned a load of waterfalls and said it got less steep.

As for the headlands and bays one, that was a bit weird too given its probably the quickest to explain out of all the landforms. I drew a diagram to fill up the space XD

for second part of question in floods of very first question wer'nt u meant to talk about vertical lateral erosion at source and lateral erosion+ flood plains at end supported by river terraces?
Reply 15
Freyja16
I found the exam SO hard, especially food and population.

Anyone get completely stumped on the food 15 marker? :s

For the first question....waffling was the answer and for the headland and bays question I drew a little diagram of wave refraction and spoke about discordant coastlines.

I'm relying on that 50% boundary :s

I was pretty much out of time and couldnt think of 2 case studies :s-smilie: so all i did was write about the different stages of the common agricultural policy and compared them i.e underproduction to start subsidies and incentives to produce more than too much production yadayada..
Reply 16
04ghicks

Me too :smile: diagrams all the way. I think it was a bit of a weird question, what more was to say than along a discordant coastline the soft rock is eroded quicker than the hard rock? I mentioned something about sheltering the bay at the side casuing a concave shape, but hey, it was an attempt to fill up all that space.
Ah well I expect you didn't miss out half the last 15 mark question :frown:
Reply 17
ashton.alfred
I was pretty much out of time and couldnt think of 2 case studies :s-smilie: so all i did was write about the different stages of the common agricultural policy and compared them i.e underproduction to start subsidies and incentives to produce more than too much production yadayada..

yeah, no way was that easier than last year's paper. I almost ENJOYED that one. I like potholes :smile: :P
Ashton.. you go to Nottingham High School? (just out of interest..). Also you just claimed that you did 5 questions (did you do pop. health and food), so no wonder you were short for time.

Was there a mortallity/morbidity question in population???

Also did anyone else think that exam was seriously long, but not long enough to write a decent answer for the 15 markers?

Paper wasn't especially difficult, just long.
in terms of ums last summer the old year 12 geographers the majority of them got full ums. they were getting around 80 to get full ums. so im guessing you need probably70 plus to get nearly full ums if an a is 60....maybe?

Latest

Trending

Trending