The Student Room Group

TSR Piano Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Flauta
Anyone got any good piano method books or practice books? Ideally I'd like to spend this summer working through The Well-Tempered Clavier, I really should be able to at least play the piano before I start teaching the flute :smile:

I thought you knew the flute? :dontknow:

What skills are you trying to improve?
If it's just your reading then Paul Harris' "Improve your Sightreading" series is excellent, I hear. You can't go wrong with a bit of scales practice. SO grab a G5 scales book (I can even send you mine) and learn the fingering.

The Well Tempered Clavier can get VERY difficult.
(edited 10 years ago)
Brilliant, there's a TSR Piano Society!
Reply 2502
Original post by keromedic
I thought you knew the flute? :dontknow:

What skills are you trying to improve?
If it's just your reading then Paul Harris' "Improve your Sightreading" series is excellent, I hear. You can't go wrong with a bit of scales practice. SO grab a G5 scales book (I can even send you mind) and learn the fingering.

The Well Tempered Clavier can get VERY difficult.

Yeah I do, I want to branch out and learn some more stuff though

Putting the hands together is my biggest issue, I can do the fingerings correctly when they're separate but when they're together I start kind of panicking and making stuff up and then I stumble, I guess doing the scales would help with that? I'll definitely look for that book, didn't know he wrote stuff for the keyboard too I have a few of his clarinet ones

Oh yeah not all of them obviously, I start dying when it gets to the 4 voice fugues but I love the preludes from the first book :biggrin:
Original post by happysmile
Brilliant, there's a TSR Piano Society!

Yes :five:

Do you play?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Flauta

Putting the hands together is my biggest issue, I can do the fingerings correctly when they're separate but when they're together I start kind of panicking and making stuff up and then I stumble, I guess doing the scales would help with that? I'll definitely look for that book, didn't know he wrote stuff for the keyboard too I have a few of his clarinet ones

Oh yeah not all of them obviously, I start dying when it gets to the 4 voice fugues but I love the preludes from the first book :biggrin:

Playing the scales will help :smile: play them very slowly first, if you struggle to keep the consistency hands together.
Original post by Flauta

Excellent. One would should never be stifled as a musician.

Ah, I see. Just start slowly. It might be worth buying some of the regular grade books. Hand complexity is built in slowly.

This guy does the grade pieces so you can check yourself against him.

I didn't know he wrote for the clarinet :tongue:.

So you already play then!! Impressive! I sucked at teaching myself and only made progress when I began getting lessons.
Reply 2507

That's the fugue in D Minor isn't it? How do you do all of those lines at once that's insane!

I'll reply to your inbox later I'm going out to Wicksteeds with some friends like I'm a kid again :tongue:
Reply 2508
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Playing the scales will help :smile: play them very slowly first, if you struggle to keep the consistency hands together.

Thank you, that's very helpful :smile:
That's good. That is excellent.

My sight reading is non existent so grade 0. I'm working on it with my teacher between now and July so hopefully it'll get to your level. I've had a few teachers and the ones that got me to grade 3 and 5 ignored sightreading.

What do you mean "thanks for the youtube name"?

Thanks! I've ordered the existing grade 8 boook!

Thank you!

Ahh that's not a problem, you can start to develop your sight reading skills then. That's very good and I'm sure you'll get there in time at all. Grade 3 is a nice start; you can work your way up now!

Oh.. I thought you gave your youtube name as "fan"?

No problem; brilliant!! Have fun with it! Scales will probably be a killer :colone:
Original post by Lovinlife2
Thank you!

Ahh that's not a problem, you can start to develop your sight reading skills then. That's very good and I'm sure you'll get there in time at all. Grade 3 is a nice start; you can work your way up now!

Oh.. I thought you gave your youtube name as "fan"?

No problem; brilliant!! Have fun with it! Scales will probably be a killer :colone:

This is my youtube channel below
[video="youtube;6F9mUmr84Lw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F9mUmr84Lw[/video]

Thanks
This is my youtube channel below
[video="youtube;6F9mUmr84Lw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F9mUmr84Lw[/video]

Thanks

Ah got you :smile:

That particular piece that you played is very soothing; well done at playing it so well :smile:

You're very welcome
Reply 2512
Excellent. One would should never be stifled as a musician.

Ah, I see. Just start slowly. It might be worth buying some of the regular grade books. Hand complexity is built in slowly.

This guy does the grade pieces so you can check yourself against him.

I didn't know he wrote for the clarinet :tongue:.

So you already play then!! Impressive! I sucked at teaching myself and only made progress when I began getting lessons.

If it's the same Paul Harris, then he's got a few :smile: He compiled the 76/80 graded studies books for flute/clarinet and he's done some pretty nifty clarinet duets I've played with my teacher

A bit of playing, got a cute little 61 key monodynamic (is that a word?) keyboard but I mostly play on the school's upright. Will upgrade if I manage to get a job over the summer

What pieces are you learning at the moment? :biggrin:
I've decided to do Grade 8 in spring. Ordered the pieces. Realised it's a whole different ball game! Trying to read the first piece now and failing :tongue:
I've decided to do Grade 8 in spring. Ordered the pieces. Realised it's a whole different ball game! Trying to read the first piece now and failing :tongue:

ABRSM? Which pieces? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by charlottejyp
ABRSM? Which pieces? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea

My preliminary choices are:
A3
B6
C9

I'll have some more listens and conform definitely at my piano lesson tomorrow.
Yea

My preliminary choices are:
A3
B6
C9

I'll have some more listens and conform definitely at my piano lesson tomorrow.

Oh, I'm doing A1, B1 and C2 :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, I'm doing A1, B1 and C2 :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it because they're in the book?
Is it because they're in the book?

Yeah, I guess it's just easier plus the piano teacher didn't like her students doing pieces not in the book because she worried that it would be difficult to get the other pieces and make sure they were correct :dontknow: I love my C piece (the Debussy) but it's so hard and taking me forever to get it right :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I guess it's just easier plus the piano teacher didn't like her students doing pieces not in the book because she worried that it would be difficult to get the other pieces and make sure they were correct :dontknow: I love my C piece (the Debussy) but it's so hard and taking me forever to get it right :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

When's ur exam?

Do you know them then? I'll have a listen to urs now.

I really like the Soler :smile:

I cba getting the cd sorry so I had to listen to Alan Chan's rendition :lolwut: but the Debussy sounds like it could be good.
I couldn't play him convincingly though. I have a hard time enough with Chopin.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest