The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Joining music/ jazz society without much experience?

Hi,

I'm thinking of joining a music society. I've always been into my music (especially jazz) but never played in a proper group. I used to have piano lessons but stopped for a while, then I taught myself how to play some popular songs but kind of lost the ability to read music and I have no experience playing jazz. I'm trying to get back into music and just wondering whether joining the music/ jazz society would be worth it? I'm worried that if I join, I'll be spending a lot of time just watching other people play since I won't be able to keep up with learning new songs or even have the ability to play jazz at all.

Has anyone had experience of being a beginner in a society like the music ones? If so, what was it like?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I'm thinking of joining a music society. I've always been into my music (especially jazz) but never played in a proper group. I used to have piano lessons but stopped for a while, then I taught myself how to play some popular songs but kind of lost the ability to read music and I have no experience playing jazz. I'm trying to get back into music and just wondering whether joining the music/ jazz society would be worth it? I'm worried that if I join, I'll be spending a lot of time just watching other people play since I won't be able to keep up with learning new songs or even have the ability to play jazz at all.

Has anyone had experience of being a beginner in a society like the music ones? If so, what was it like?

“Jazz is when there are four blokes on stage having more fun than people in the audience. They’re all playing different songs, in different keys and in different tempos and they call it jazz”.

J/K i love some jazz. I don’t think they will mind… you’re there for the music l after all.

I’ll be joining some societies that I have absolutely no experience in, so don’t worry too much about it.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Hi,

I was wondering how things panned out with your foray into the jazz society you were thinking of joining.

Are you happy to provide an update?

Ri

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending