The Student Room Group

TSR Piano Society

Scroll to see replies

Haeron
If you want a godly recording of that etude, Lhevinne :
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0XCj-j7TBTY&feature=related

And also, just to scare you further, this is why Godowsky is a *******
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ2a-Ms9uY4&feature=related

Wow, the Lhevinne is really nice. What's your favourite ChopEts set? Mine is probably Freire.

The second recording there is even crisper than Hamelin's, but a bit slower.
Reply 1581
Wow, the Lhevinne is really nice. What's your favourite ChopEts set? Mine is probably Freire.

I don't have enough sets to judge, really. I have Ashkenazy's and Berezovsky's - I prefer Ashkenazy's, though he's a bit uninspiring in some places - e.g. 25/12, though he brings out the melody nicely. He just does it wayyyy too slow for me. Berezovsky does it better. Pollini is like nerf Ashkenazy, nowhere near as emotionally affecting, I find.
Haeron
I don't have enough sets to judge, really. I have Ashkenazy's and Berezovsky's - I prefer Ashkenazy's, though he's a bit uninspiring in some places - e.g. 25/12, though he brings out the melody nicely. He just does it wayyyy too slow for me. Berezovsky does it better. Pollini is like nerf Ashkenazy, nowhere near as emotionally affecting, I find.

Some of the Pollini is pretty cool, but yes, I agree. Get the Freire (it's split over 2 cds with the 2nd and 3rd sonatas though): damn fast but extremely nuanced and affecting. I really like the Perahia too. Cziffra is good for comedy value (eg. if he doesn't think there's enough arpeggios he sicks a few more in, and his tempi are eccentric). God, I have a lot of these :o:
Reply 1583
Da Bachtopus
Some of the Pollini is pretty cool, but yes, I agree. Get the Freire (it's split over 2 cds with the 2nd and 3rd sonatas though): damn fast but extremely nuanced and affecting. I really like the Perahia too. Cziffra is good for comedy value (eg. if he doesn't think there's enough arpeggios he sicks a few more in, and his tempi are eccentric). God, I have a lot of these :o:

Ew, Chopin 2nd Sonata. Sorry, I'm not a fan of it tbh :P I only like the 3rd.
I imagine all these recordings are satisfactory in some way, but it's way harder to find a completely satisfactory one of the Liszt Transcendentals :shifty:
Haeron
Ew, Chopin 2nd Sonata. Sorry, I'm not a fan of it tbh :P I only like the 3rd.
I imagine all these recordings are satisfactory in some way, but it's way harder to find a completely satisfactory one of the Liszt Transcendentals :shifty:

Tru dat. I don't like Liszt much though, except the B minor sonata, so I just have the Cziffra complete, and listen to random other people (eg Richter) in selected études.
Reply 1585
Tru dat. I don't like Liszt much though, except the B minor sonata, so I just have the Cziffra complete, and listen to random other people (eg Richter) in selected études.

The B Minor Sonata is the best thing he ever wrote, IMO. However, he's brilliant for transcriptions and character pieces - e.g. Liebestraum no. 3, Waldesrauschen. I also think the Transcendental Etudes are up there. The Annees de Pelerinages are largely not great, save a few things.

There's always Rach :wink:
I don't like Rachmaninov.
Reply 1587
I think I'll have to stop talking to you then, I'm afraid.

Only joking :wink: To each his own.

I guess you're quite the Bach fan?
I've never got into Rach's solo piano music I have to say. His concerti and rhapsody are very good though.
Reply 1589
I've never got into Rach's solo piano music I have to say. His concerti and rhapsody are very good though.

It's interesting - his solo piano music is so much more exploratory than his other works - brilliant though they are. They're much less romantic in style, and tend (especially in the etudes-tableaux) to be a bit like prokofiev.
I found some of it quite inaccessible at first, but then I listened more and it grew on me, I suppose.
The Corelli Variations are crazy.
I like Prokofiev so maybe I should given them a listen. Although Prokofiev can be quite naive it's a naivety that appeals to me in a way Rach's doesn't. The War Sonatas are great, and the first three concerti, plus quite a lot of misc. pieces. Rachmaninov I find just rather overstated and saccherine and sentimental, and whilst I've some time for the 2nd concerto, I just feel that the whole temperament of everything he wrote is so antithetical to my own (not to mention my grumpiness regarding his anti-modernism) I can't take much of it. I don't get the third concerto, I find it dull and rambling. I can see what's nice about the B minor prelude, say, but still it's not really my thing. I much prefer Medtner; yes it's conservative, but it's subtle and reserved in a way Rach isn't. I like this quite a bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT6zEFxKhfE

And of course Bach is my hero; or at least up there with Beethoven and Mahler in my musical pantheon.
Have you tried the Paganni rhapsody? I've always liked that quite a lot.
Me? I couldn't play that sheeyat. It's ok, but doesn't inspire me.

Have just realized that the MS Entourage "incoming mail" beep is the first piano entry in the Prokofiev 3rd Concerto.
I like it. Probably a lot to do with the theme of course.
The Lutoslawski variations for 2 pianos are cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J856VKlltvA
Reply 1595
Da Bachtopus
I don't like Rachmaninov.

Odd, he speaks highly of you :tongue:
I need a bit of advice: I was due to do my Grade 8 in November, but due to a lot of circumstances I had to postpone. Unfortunately it meant I had to start on the new syllabus therefore 3 brand new pieces. I'm heading to university in September so the only realistic time of me doing the exam is this June. Now with a lot of work I know I could probably get there, but on top of that I'm sitting A Level exams in May and am busy with orchestra and choir rehersals for the school concert, and orchestra rehersals for another concert in April. I don't want to stretch myself too thinly and do badly/not to my full ability in everything. Would I be better not doing Grade 8 and just concentrating on my other things. Obviously it's not an option to give up the A Levels :P I just don't know what to do. The thing that's making me want to do the exam is I've come this far, it'd be hard just dropping it now. But I don't want to do the exam and then end up failing because I haven't been able to work as much as I should have.

Argh, any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
hannahhi
I need a bit of advice: I was due to do my Grade 8 in November, but due to a lot of circumstances I had to postpone. Unfortunately it meant I had to start on the new syllabus therefore 3 brand new pieces. I'm heading to university in September so the only realistic time of me doing the exam is this June. Now with a lot of work I know I could probably get there, but on top of that I'm sitting A Level exams in May and am busy with orchestra and choir rehersals for the school concert, and orchestra rehersals for another concert in April. I don't want to stretch myself too thinly and do badly/not to my full ability in everything. Would I be better not doing Grade 8 and just concentrating on my other things. Obviously it's not an option to give up the A Levels :P I just don't know what to do. The thing that's making me want to do the exam is I've come this far, it'd be hard just dropping it now. But I don't want to do the exam and then end up failing because I haven't been able to work as much as I should have.

Not 100% sure, but doesn't the old syllabus still get tested in March/April season? So you could do the old syllabus this time?

Someone will have to cross-check that with me thought
pinkpenguin
Not 100% sure, but doesn't the old syllabus still get tested in March/April season? So you could do the old syllabus this time?

Someone will have to cross-check that with me thought

The board I do it with changed at the end of last year unfortunately :frown:
Reply 1599
hannahhi

If you don't specifically need to do Grade 8, I guess it'd be a better option to just leave it so as not to potentially compromise performance in your exams. I've been leaving mine off for a while now; it doesn't make much difference to me. If you really want to do it, you (or perhaps your teacher) would know best whether or not you could. Are you confident in learning 3 pieces in 4/5 months?
If I were you, I'd just leave it. All the best

Quick Reply

Latest