The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature A Unit 1 - 8th June 2010

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Beth1234
Teir? maybe i should have made it clear in the title that I meant AS/A level :biggrin:

oh :unsure: okay... now i feel like an idiot
lol ive got an aqa english exam tomorrow too, but for gcse...
well, good luck anyway everyone :biggrin:
Reply 41
Bossa Nova
I am so unbelievably scared. Anyone studying Hardy?

me too lol
Reply 42
Bossa Nova
Our teacher didn't even finish of the collection and we've only studied around more than half of the prescribed amount. :frown:

What themes have you revised and what do you think will come up? :smile:

None :frown: Havent done any past papers either ! rotten school
Reply 43
Bossa Nova
Our teacher didn't even finish of the collection and we've only studied around more than half of the prescribed amount. :frown:

What themes have you revised and what do you think will come up? :smile:

The themes I can do the best are religion and fate, women and Hardy's use of nature?.

My teacher reckons we might get something about whether Hardy was a typical Victorian, or she said something about war? I don't know, I hope it's not war, I'm not too good on them poems!
omg no not class. What would you write for that?
Reply 45
I started a replica thread yesterday and it got moved! Hmph.

Anyway, I'm doing Hardy. I feel I've done enough there - it's section 1 I'm scared about. I've got a lot of wider reading but I'm not terribly confident about remembering the quotes.
Reply 46
beth101

And good luck in your exam! Are you doing English Lang or Lit? I always hated Lang... :smile:
Nyxerise
The themes I can do the best are religion and fate, women and Hardy's use of nature?.

My teacher reckons we might get something about whether Hardy was a typical Victorian, or she said something about war? I don't know, I hope it's not war, I'm not too good on them poems!

NOOO WAY. The ones you've just listed are my worst areas. I hope that death or war comes up.
Reply 48
Does anyone know how important wider reading is for the set text question?
Reply 49
beth101

In my defense, it is in the 'A levels' section :biggrin:
Ah well, feel free to join us if you want :yep: I'm sure there are plenty of people in this thread who will be pleased to help, iff they remember anything from last year, or hyperventilating over tomorrow's exam! :rolleyes:
ANd if you have any questions on A level English, fire away!
Reply 50
booksnob
I started a replica thread yesterday and it got moved! Hmph.

Anyway, I'm doing Hardy. I feel I've done enough there - it's section 1 I'm scared about. I've got a lot of wider reading but I'm not terribly confident about remembering the quotes.

I just remember short words or phrases and them integrate them into my points. The point of the exam is to see how good you are at analysing and comparing texts, not to see how well you can memorise paragraphs and paragraphs of quotes :wink:
booksnob

My teacher said that you need to refer to a prose, drama and poem with at least three quotations for each.
Reply 52
Bossa Nova
NOOO WAY. The ones you've just listed are my worst areas. I hope that death or war comes up.

Now death I can do :biggrin: Kind of twisted, but Hardy's a miserable old bugger, so aaah well!
Reply 53
doing AS browning, enduring love, curious incident and ancient mariner. anyone got an idea of whats going to come up?
Reply 54
Bossa Nova
My teacher said that you need to refer to a prose, drama and poem with at least three quotations for each.

For the set text (second Section)? I thought that was only for the context question.
Reply 55
Nyxerise

Bossa Nova

I gotta plan, lets list the themes and the linking poems, that way we can find it easier to remember...first off themes?

War
Religion / Religious Doubt
Emma
Past Loves
Nature
Pessimism

Anymore? I think we should get 2 poems that link in well and 1 where he doesnt show it? Useful for typiclaness?
Reply 56
booksnob
For the set text (second Section)? I thought that was only for the context question.

Yh its only for wider reading
Reply 57
booksnob

er... hum... 0%... i think :o:
You are not required to put in wider reading for the set text (poetry) section, as far as I know. In the unseen section, however, you are required to put in one piece on prose, poetry, drama - this is 30% of your exam, I believe.
Reply 58
My teacher has given me entirely different themes. Such as Progress and Industrialisation, Moral Values and Women's Rights, etc. :s-smilie:
War- Drummer Hodge, Channel Firing and In the time of the breaking nations
Religion- Hap, Channel firing and I cannot think of a third?
Emma- The Voice, Beeny Cliff at Castle Boterel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending