The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature A Unit 1 - 8th June 2010

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
iPoo'd
I gotta plan, lets list the themes and the linking poems, that way we can find it easier to remember...first off themes?

War
Religion / Religious Doubt
Emma
Past Loves
Nature
Pessimism

Anymore? I think we should get 2 poems that link in well and 1 where he doesnt show it? Useful for typiclaness?

War - The Oxen and Drummer Hodge show Hardy thinking about the human cost of war, which is quite different from some other Victorian writers (Rudyard Kipling) who supported the idea of war.

Religious doubt - The Levelled Churchyard and Channel Firing, and to go against that Hardy's reference to the afterlife in Voices From Things Growing In A Churchyard and the Emma poems.

Nature - The Darkling Thrush, Neutral Tones

Pessimism - Neutral Tones and The Darkling Thrush again, but like other poems they can have elements at hope at the end.
Beth1234
er... hum... 0%... i think :o:
You are not required to put in wider reading for the set text (poetry) section, as far as I know. In the unseen section, however, you are required to put in one piece on prose, poetry, drama - this is 30% of your exam, I believe.

I was referring to the poetry section.
How many poems has everyone learned in depth in preparation for the exam?
Reply 63
Beth1234
er... hum... 0%... i think :o:
You are not required to put in wider reading for the set text (poetry) section, as far as I know. In the unseen section, however, you are required to put in one piece on prose, poetry, drama - this is 30% of your exam, I believe.

Thank you. I'm a little clueless because I have a terrible teacher, and I fully intend to blame him and hate him forever if I mess up :yep:

One thing, does it have to be 3 pieces, are can I use more, but with less detail??
Reply 64
Im doing Thomas Hardy, Dubliners by James Joyce, Birdson by Sebastian Faulks and W.H Auden poetry.
I think revising for English is soo difficult, we had two excellent teachers which really helped my revision - i remember soo much of the discussions which is odd for me!
Im most scared of the first section the "how does Joyce tell a story in ...." or "How does Hardy use ... in ..." but im sure it will be all good :biggrin:
Best of luck for all of you :smile:
Reply 65
booksnob
Thank you. I'm a little clueless because I have a terrible teacher, and I fully intend to blame him and hate him forever if I mess up :yep:

One thing, does it have to be 3 pieces, are can I use more, but with less detail??

You can, but you might not get as high a mark if you do that. You're better trying to do close analysis of three of four texts rather than making vague references to about fifteen.
Reply 66
I have a lot for the prose :smile: More than I should have since I did some wider reading in my spare time. Ideally i've been told they want two poems, but I dont know too many poems! Reckon they will go for two prose, one poem, one play? Kind of excited to see what the question's will be :smile: Especially the Duffy one... Good luck everybody! x

In class we covered Duffy poetry, then for the other side, The Color Purple, A Streetcar Named Desire, Making History, W.H. Auden and Grace Nichol's poetry. But I also read The Handmaid's Tale, Lovely Bones and The Catcher in the Rye as they are on the spec i've heard :smile:
Reply 67
War- Drummer Hodge, Channel Firing and In the time of the breaking nations, The Oxen

Religion- Hap, Channel firing The Levelled Churchyard and Channel Firing, and to go against that Hardy's reference to the afterlife in Voices From Things , Convergence of the Twain, Growing In A Churchyard and the Emma poems.

Emma- The Voice, Beeny Cliff at Castle Boterel

Nature - The Darkling Thrush, Neutral Tones, Wessex Heights

Pessimism - Neutral Tones and The Darkling Thrush again, but like other poems they can have elements at hope at the end.

The passing of time -

Arrogance - He resolves to say no more, I need not go
For the Hardy section it gives you a choice of two questions right? for the second where it concentrates on a specific poem how do you relate that to other poems? e.g. that particular poem being a suitable conclusion to his collection?

Help. I'm so confused with that question.
Reply 69
Bossa Nova
For the Hardy section it gives you a choice of two questions right? for the second where it concentrates on a specific poem how do you relate that to other poems? e.g. that particular poem being a suitable conclusion to his collection?

That ones easier. Its just lke wider reading , but within hardy's poetry. Find 2 poems that link with a theme youve found, and one that doesnt.

Three of these paragraphs and thassit!
Reply 70
Bossa Nova

I've linked them beforehand into themes. also how they can compare and contrasts. Like you, though, I'm worried about them asking how poems are placed in the collection.
Reply 71
TO EVERYONE doing the exam tomorrow that hasn't been told this yet, or needs reminding:
AO4 (or the knowledge of context) is worth 60% (or 27 marks) of your 45 marks for the first question.
Obviously, it is going to be difficult to make 60% of your piece of writing all about context (it's not a history essay!) so, a few things things to make sure you do...
- whenever you make reference to a wider reading text, make a quick reference to the context it was written in. It doesn't have to be long - 'set in Thatcher's Britain' will do! :biggrin:
- read the few sentences just before the extract - you will be able to get some information from that!
Reply 72
Bossa Nova

If it names a poem and says 'how suitable is this poem as a beginning/conclusion to Hardy's poetry?' analyse the poem and talk about how it it typical/different to the rest of Hardy's poetry and then pick two other poems that you think might be better conclusions, or if you think the named poem is a good conclusion pick one poem that's better and one that's worse.

If it's asking about a suitable beginning/conclusion, you ideally want the poem to be quite a typical Hardy poem. Something like Convergence of the Twain would make a good beginning, I think :smile:
What do you think for section A will come up? I think that evolving attitudes is most likely to come up but on the issue of class does anyone have any quotations for that?
Reply 74
Thanks Beth.
I've been looking at Timelines, particularly with regards to what was going on in the Empire.
Reply 75
iPoo'd
War- Drummer Hodge, Channel Firing and In the time of the breaking nations, The Oxen

Religion- Hap, Channel firing The Levelled Churchyard and Channel Firing, and to go against that Hardy's reference to the afterlife in Voices From Things , Convergence of the Twain, Growing In A Churchyard and the Emma poems.

Emma- The Voice, Beeny Cliff at Castle Boterel

Nature - The Darkling Thrush, Neutral Tones, Wessex Heights

The passing of time -

Arrogance - He resolves to say no more, I need not go

What sort of stuff do you talk about within the poems?

I got : Quick language thing, structural point about how it links with mindset then comparisons.?
Reply 76
I'm really don't want Empire to come up in the wider reading question.

Does anyone have any texts that will be useful for that question, or any tips on Empire?
Reply 77
Bossa Nova
What do you think for section A will come up? I think that evolving attitudes is most likely to come up but on the issue of class does anyone have any quotations for that?

My teacher thinks science and religion! Dont have many class quote's, they mostly are about the poor people linking to bad conditions

'Cattle Sheds for human beings'
Reply 78
iPoo'd
What sort of stuff do you talk about within the poems?

I got : Quick language thing, structural point about how it links with mindset then comparisons.?

FORM, STRUCTURE AND LANGUAGE!

Aha, I have that screamed at me every time I step into an English lesson.
Reply 79
Bossa Nova

I can't fathom how people think something's more likely to come up. Maybe look at J.M.Barrie's The Admirable Crichton.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending