The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature A Unit 1 - 8th June 2010

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Nyxerise
I'm really don't want Empire to come up in the wider reading question.

Does anyone have any texts that will be useful for that question, or any tips on Empire?

Dont think empire would be main, theres not much that can we done with that my teacher said...although it could come up as some sort of reference?
For the importance of being earnest how does that link with industry/empire? there is this quote about inheritance or something but I cannot seem to find it. :frown:
Reply 82
Beth1234
In my defense, it is in the 'A levels' section :biggrin:
Ah well, feel free to join us if you want :yep: I'm sure there are plenty of people in this thread who will be pleased to help, iff they remember anything from last year, or hyperventilating over tomorrow's exam! :rolleyes:
ANd if you have any questions on A level English, fire away!

haha true it is, it was just on my 'related items' list, so i clicked on it :smile:
anyone got any tips for writing to advise, explain, or persuade? i havn't got the motivation for looking anything up for my self, as im pretty sure that ive just failed my maths exam, oh well :facepalm: so any quick tips would be appreciated :smile:

i'm doing english combined for AS level at college next year, anyone think its any good? :smile:

Nyxerise
And good luck in your exam! Are you doing English Lang or Lit? I always hated Lang... :smile:

thankyouu :biggrin: and i'm doing english lang, i did lit week before last, i think it went okay, i hope it did anyways!! haha
Reply 83
Beth1234
TO EVERYONE doing the exam tomorrow that hasn't been told this yet, or needs reminding:
AO4 (or the knowledge of context) is worth 60% (or 27 marks) of your 45 marks for the first question.
Obviously, it is going to be difficult to make 60% of your piece of writing all about context (it's not a history essay!) so, a few things things to make sure you do...
- whenever you make reference to a wider reading text, make a quick reference to the context it was written in. It doesn't have to be long - 'set in Thatcher's Britain' will do! :biggrin:
- read the few sentences just before the extract - you will be able to get some information from that!

Nice info :smile:
for religion I have lots to talk about, but the realisation of the easiest topic i.e. women not coming up is quite saddening.
Reply 85
Heart of Darkness is my principle Empire&Colonialism text, even though it is isn't the British Empire. It gives good insight into the attitudes of the time - e.g. Marlow's aunt
Reply 86
booksnob
Thanks Beth.
I've been looking at Timelines, particularly with regards to what was going on in the Empire.

Share please! I have Darwins origin of species in 1859
Reply 87
Bossa Nova
For the importance of being earnest how does that link with industry/empire? there is this quote about inheritance or something but I cannot seem to find it. :frown:

I think they were talking about austrailia?
What texts is everyone using for Empire, as I haven't revised at all for that.
Reply 89
Mainly just the dates of conflicts. Queen V assumed role of Empress of India in 1877. The Indian Mutiny in 1857. Facts, facts, facts - none of which I'll be able to elaborate on, coem to think of it.
Reply 90
Will you be saying which wider reading you'll use in your introduction?

Oh god, I'm dreading this exam. I really shouldn't be on here - I should be revising like crazy.
booksnob

Oh god, I'm dreading this exam. I really shouldn't be on here - I should be revising like crazy.

Nope you'll state that anyway in your main body of the essay. :smile:
Reply 92
booksnob

We are revising lol, see our hardy list on the page before.,...wait ill requote!
Reply 93
iPoo'd
War- Drummer Hodge, Channel Firing and In the time of the breaking nations, The Oxen

Religion- Hap, Channel firing The Levelled Churchyard and Channel Firing, and to go against that Hardy's reference to the afterlife in Voices From Things , Convergence of the Twain, Growing In A Churchyard and the Emma poems.

Emma- The Voice, Beeny Cliff at Castle Boterel

Nature - The Darkling Thrush, Neutral Tones, Wessex Heights

Pessimism - Neutral Tones and The Darkling Thrush again, but like other poems they can have elements at hope at the end.

The passing of time -

Arrogance - He resolves to say no more, I need not go

The only good thing is i sorta know my quotes!
I think that i'm prepared but I hope that the unseen extract isn't difficult to comprehend. Looking at January 2009 terrifed me.
Reply 95
Bossa Nova
I think that i'm prepared but I hope that the unseen extract isn't difficult to comprehend. Looking at January 2009 terrifed me.

I dont think itll be too bad. Plus if its bad = lower boundaries!
I was looking at the grade boundaries after being depressed about this exam and it said that to get an A it was 57 out of 90, which is incredibly low.

What shall we revise now?
I'll start seeing as it's gone very quite in here.

Okay lets discuss evolving attitudes; culture, religion + science.
Can somebody PLEASE explain the structure..
Is it 1 part A & B
part 2?
Reply 99
Bossa Nova
I was looking at the grade boundaries after being depressed about this exam and it said that to get an A it was 57 out of 90, which is incredibly low.

What shall we revise now?

lol i need to learn the poems *gets book* this could take all night!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending