The Student Room Group

OCR AS Eng Lit Exam Reactions - Pride And Prejudice & Wilfred Owen

How did people find this exam? I thought it was a terrible exam. I meant seriously "memory"! Didn't even think they'd put something like that for the topic. Here's what I wrote.

Wilfred Owen:
- The indentation of the poem stanzas make it look like Owen is letting his thoughts flow
- Owen personifies the the coal to make it seem like it is recounting its memory of how its been formed 'whispering in my hearth'
- Owen looks at the memory of men digging in the trenches and the mines
- The coals are said to be partially made from soldier's bodies (reference to A Terre and Anthem For Doomed Youth) and the rhyming of words makes sure its in the mind of readers
- In Disabled the soldier remembers youth youth. The contrast in colours of his youth and now draws attention to the memory and makes it more painful.
- Dulce's memory of the gas attack is very vivid through the use of onomatopoeia
- In Futility the soldier desperately looks back to the memory of the sun waking up his friend in the hope that it will do it again
- Miners end with a couplet which is the message of the poem that the soldiers and miners will be forgotten - looks to the future. Compared to 'now men go content with what we've spoiled' in Strange Meeting

For the Austen question I did the second one on 'emotional lives'
- Mrs Bennet and Lydia show up the family at Netherfield letting the whole room know about their lives and feellings towards Darcy and Jane/Bingley
- Letters are used to express emotions. Darcy's letter to Elizabeth is full of pauses and hyphens showing he is agitated when writing the letter
- Elizabeth and Darcy verbally fight at Netherfield and Elizabeth exposes Darcy uncomfortableness around Wickham when he turns 'a deeper shade of hauteur'
- Elizabeth's physical reactions give a lot away about her emotions. She turns a 'deeper blush' when seeing Darcy at Pemberley which show she does like him.
- The narrative follows Elizabeth around and shows her unconscience feelings. One way this is done is when Elizabeth speaks to herself
- Lady Catherine unwittingly reveals her emotional life when arguing with Elizabeth in chapter 56
- Some characters lives such as Bingley and Darcy's cousin aren't revealed because they are respectable nice men.

HAve the points I made Ok? I would really like an A. I've got an A for the coursework.

And let me know what you wrote too!

Thanks!

Latest

Trending

Trending