The Student Room Group

Being a football scout

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vintage
All these people that say experience in the game is needed is stupid. Its not what you know its who you know. Get to know some other scouts etc. See if you can go with them. Go to youth games. Even under 15s etc. Alot of the time there's local clubs who send scouts to them. Identify who they are and go introduce yourself. Get to know people.

It is indeed stupid, but it is also the reality. Football is very much an old boys network. Unless you are fantastic like Wenger or Mourinho, you have very little chance.
Reply 21
I coach scout for a prem club and never played pro. I was taken into the club by another scout who watched me coach with my local junior team. A lot of scouts of league 1 and 2 clubs won't get paid other than expenses and just do it as a hobby for their local club. It does massively help if you know people within a club as football is essentially jobs for the boys. Also, someone mentioned about the system being flawed and everyone looking for six foot plus players. Being small even goes against under 6s which is ridiculous. I've always been a fan of Spanish football and look for technical and intelligent players but a lot go for big lumps who dominate games at a young age as a result of their power, who then get found out a few years later because they're thick and can't actually play against decent players. I've rambled on a bit, but yes you can scout without being pro, and yes, knowing people is a massive advantage. www.elitetechnique.co.uk
Reply 22
Suck mourinhos dick.
To understand the talent the person natural ability, in Argentina, teachers, police, butcher, barbers doings scouting job, because they love football

Quick Reply

Latest