The Student Room Group

Calling all 2012 VetMed entry hopefuls, *VERY* Early i know!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marley13
See, if I stay in Scotland it's free for me. :wink: Although I really wouldn't mind paying £2000 a year if it got me a place. :tongue: Umm, last year (or this year?) I applied to Glasgow, Edinburgh, RVC and Bristol. For 2012 I'm only applying to Glasgow, put more pressure on myself just for fun. :rolleyes:

That was them paying me £2000 a year :wink: i'd have to sing in the Edinburgh Cathedral Choir though. But still, £2000 a year off tuition fees is a bit better than Cambridge's £100 :P I messaged you on facebook through the group, so we don't clatter up the thread :smile: x
Reply 261
Original post by Katie1993
I applied this year but got rejected (chem grade) so will be reapplying again this year :biggrin: are there many re-applicants on here?
I really hope I get a place this time !!!

Meeee :smile:

Think I remember us discussing on the 2011 thread that we were in an almost identical position re chemistry grades urghhh

So not looking forward to the 10th March. If I don't get decent grades in the resits I have NO idea what I'm gonna do then :frown:
Original post by Alice.

Think I remember us discussing on the 2011 thread that we were in an almost identical position re chemistry grades urghhh

So not looking forward to the 10th March. If I don't get decent grades in the resits I have NO idea what I'm gonna do then :frown:

is that when our results come out? eep.
Reply 263
Original post by schizopear
is that when our results come out? eep.

Yeah think so!! :frown:
Reply 264
Original post by Alice.

yess that was me :smile: maybe it will be our lucky yearr!?
im doin my resits in may.. both modules... 1 is on the same day as my year 13 prom :frown:
oh well im gonna revise so much i may aswell become a chemist :wink:
Im the same.. i dont have another career choice booooo
Hi :smile: I'm Emily, mind if i join? I'm in year 12 now and hopefully i'll be applying next year to go to vet school in 2012, how soon are the applications done?
Original post by EmilyAlice
Hi :smile: I'm Emily, mind if i join? I'm in year 12 now and hopefully i'll be applying next year to go to vet school in 2012, how soon are the applications done?

Welcome :biggrin: If you're applying for Cambridge then your application has to be in by October this year (Not sure the exact date, maybe someone else can clarify?) and the rest have to be in by January. However your school is probably going to want them in by November/December time :smile:
Original post by Dave_Beeston
Welcome :biggrin: If you're applying for Cambridge then your application has to be in by October this year (Not sure the exact date, maybe someone else can clarify?) and the rest have to be in by January. However your school is probably going to want them in by November/December time :smile:

All veterinary applications have to be in by 15th October I think :smile:
Original post by bertiejess
All veterinary applications have to be in by 15th October I think :smile:

Ah right, well that's news to me :P just checked on UCAS and apparently that's true! I hope they count my work experience for after that date :smile:
Reply 269
**** UCAS it's getting near that time of year:/ Draft personal statements in a few weeks :deal:
Yep - all vet med applications have to be in by the 15th Oct. (It oxbridge, med, vet med and dentistry for that deadline). You may well have to remind/tell/get irate with teachers and schools who don't seem to realise about the deadline. Plenty of people find it getting nearer and nearer and still have no reference done etc. At the end of the day, its your application, for your future career, so make sure you are pro-active getting it in in time!

The other date to bear in mind is the BMAT. Don't know off the top of me head, have a look at their website. But there is a deadline for booking to sit that (normally sat in november I think). If you are applying for RVC or Cambridge you will need to sit this, again, don't rely on your school thinking about it. Make sure they sort out and enter you for it.

Work experience wise, try and get as much done as possible before you apply (have done sounds much better than will be doing!) Failing that, make sure you have booked definite things. Sound much better that you have 2 weeks at xx booked, rather than hopefully, I am trying to arrange etc..... If possible try and have completed as much as possible my the christmas time. Some interviews will be before christmas, but quite a lot are after, so it would be useful to have done placements to talk about them at interview. But, they do tend to look at things that are planned and not completed as well I think.
If anyone has general q's about uni life, re-applying, taking another degree, work exp, A levels, taking an extra year in sixth form etc feel free to ask me! I'm in my 3rd year of an English degree now, am a re-applicant for vetmed having applied before this degree after taking an extra year of 6th form to get the a levels.

A couple of pages ago someone asked about extra curricular activities. It's not about getting a diverse range of activities - although that won't hinder you - but showing that your life experience hasn't been solely about school. Obviously for a lot of school leavers it is the case that school takes up most of your life and if your committed to your grades etc you may find it hard to get a part time job, play a sport/instrument etc, but you need to be able to show on paper (PS) that you're not a one trick pony but someone who is not only a high achiever academically but who knows how to interact with a diverse range of people in new and unfamiliar circumstances :smile:
Reply 272
Original post by melc
Hello,
I felt a bit like a stalker having been 'watching' for months so thought I'd post to introduce myself and situation.
31 yrs old, been wanting to be a vet since I was 8. Was ill advised by a career woman at school to do 'alternative' degree after getting CDEE at A-levels in 97.
Did Animal Science degree at Newcastle, got a 2:2 (I know you're thinking why will she not give up on it already!).
So, I became a lecturer in animal welfare, animal physiology, biochemistry and animal health. I am teaching 1st and 3rd yr degree students.
I work in a zoo and have experience with 170 species of animals.
I have an MSc degree in Livestock Health and Production (from th RVC written for vet graduates).
I am re-sitting A-level biol (A* in AS level, A2 this yr) and Chemistry (AS in Jan, A2 nxt yr).
I have 6wks experience of working with animals in Africa, I have 18mths at liverpool vet school farm, 2wks at liverpool vet school, 5yrs at dairy farm, 9wks with chickens (not including having my own) not to mention lambing every year for 4yrs, a pet sitting business for 2yrs, 3yrs of owning and working with goats, ducks, turkeys and ponies plus 20yrs livery experience (2yrs as livery manager)
1d/wk for 3yrs at a vet practice and 2wks at easter school in liverpool with my students.
I am acquainted with nutritionists, endocrinologists, keepers of all types of exotics and farmers.

Why am I telling you all of this????

I applied to Notts and got rejected without interview because of the following:
- they dont consider my MSc to be a qualification??????
- I did not achieve A in chemistry first time round?????
- they question my commitment to becoming a vet????

Distraught is not the word. I have worked my a** off all of my life to get into vet school and I get that kind of response.

Vet entry 2012 to liverpool, fingers crossed.

Anyone else out there in similar situation please respond!
:-)

Oh my god!
And I thought I had it tough!!!!
Hi, I'm Becky I'm 27 and I too had some pretty s***ty careers advice and ALL of the vet unis told me that they would NOT consider re-takes, I got ABB at A2 for Biology, chem and physics. I was one mark off A in chem.
I had a tonne of work experience and got rejected by all of my applications. I didn't know that you could ask for feed back as to why you were rejected. Throughout my academic (and professional for that matter) careers I've been told "its really hard to become a vet".
I'm like "YES I KNOW THAT AND I'M STILL SLOGGING MY GUTS OUT TO DO IT!!!!":angry:
I did a BSc (hons) in animal health and welfare and now teach equine studies in a further ed college and am assistant yard manager too.
I was thinking about reapplying this time for 2012 entry but the tuition fees are crippling and have put the stoppers on that idea a treat! I have trawled the internet for a job that pays more that £14k a year and with my quals I can't find anything. Its true what they say "there is no money in horses!".:tongue:
Have you seen the thread on here about the UVM in Kosice? Its my last hope if RVC hike their tuition fees for grads in the next two years (aslong as Kosice doesn't catch on and hike theirs too!):confused:
Can feel the dream well and truely slipping away for good!:frown:
I totally feel your pain (sorry for the essay! its just comforting to now there are more of us out there - although that is terrible I wish there wasn't!)
Becky x x x x
Reply 273
I'll be applying in October! Scary! Anyone off to Edinburgh open day on March 16th?
Reply 274
yeaah am going on march 16th (:
January results thursday! good luck everyone! x
Reply 276
Hiya! I'm a re-app from Scotland, fingers crossed this year will be lucky! Got adv highers (physics, bio and chem) at the end of May and panicking so much already!
Reply 277
Nice one Bristol.
As far as I'm aware entry requirements are now A*AA-AAA...damn you.
I got an A in A2 Biology by4, B in AS biology by2 (resit) and A in AS chemistry (resit) which i also got full marks in! I am over the moon! How did everyone else do? :biggrin:
AA in biology and chemistry :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending