The Student Room Group

A Powerful and Inspirational song / story for abused women

[video="youtube;em328ua_Lo8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em328ua_Lo8[/video]

Hi all,,

As it's International Women's day, I thought I'd share this video for any woman or girl on here (or anywhere) who is having a hard time in life.

I'm sure most of you have at least heard of the US RnB singer Mary J Blige. Her career started in the very early 1990's, and when she was an up & coming artist she was in a relationship with a singer called Ka-ci from a much bigger and more established RnB group called Jodeci*

The relationship itself was an abusive one with Ka-ci notoriously cheating on her left, right and centre, and having a lot of mind games (I don't think he actually hit her); but it was certainly emotionally and psychologically abusive... and included him flatly denying that he was engaged to her, after she publicly announced it, making her look psycho, crazy, possessive, deluded etc..... basically publicly humiliating her.

This song (released in the noughties; but has since become an anthem for abused women) was her final f**k you message to him, and how she's now a much stronger person... and their respective history / legacies speak for itself. Mary J Blige has gone on to be widely accepted as one of the RnB greats of all time; earning titles such as "Queen of Hip hop-soul" and "Queen of RnB", as well as many film and TV appearances. In fact, she has been nominated for entry into the 2024 Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame (Basically, it's the music equivalent of a knighthood). On the other hand, the last major project Ka-Ci was involved with was the backing vocals of Will Smiths Millennium hit Will 2K.

So, regardless of your issue (if it's a relationship, or you're having a hard time simply being a woman in your world) I hope this song and her story gives you strength and inspiration to do the right thing for yourself :smile:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending