The Student Room Group

Calling all 2012 VetMed entry hopefuls, *VERY* Early i know!

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, I have a bit of a dilema and was wondering if you guys could give me some advice? I have an offer from Notts and Bristol, and I really have no idea what my first choice is. I've been weighing up the pros and cons of each place and am still confused as ever. I really wasn't expecting two offers, so I never really thought about where I wanted to go beforehand (my first choice was whereever I got an offer from!) Anyone else in a similar situation as me? Do you think its wise to go and visit the Uni's once more? thanks :smile:
Original post by Angry cucumber
Did anyone else have an interview at Bristol on Wednesday?

If so have you heard anything?

No one on the fb thread has, so I was wondering whether anyone on here has! :wink:

I did and haven't heard anything either. Looks like someone on the stalking page got an offer yesterday though!
Original post by chunderseverywhere
Hey guys, I have a bit of a dilema and was wondering if you guys could give me some advice? I have an offer from Notts and Bristol, and I really have no idea what my first choice is. I've been weighing up the pros and cons of each place and am still confused as ever. I really wasn't expecting two offers, so I never really thought about where I wanted to go beforehand (my first choice was whereever I got an offer from!) Anyone else in a similar situation as me? Do you think its wise to go and visit the Uni's once more? thanks :smile:

I'm slightly biased but I think Bristol's better... That might be because Nottingham rejected me (not just any day, but on my birthday) and Bristol made me an offer yesterday from my interview on Wednesday.
Nottingham looks fab, I think you'd be wise to have another look though and go on your gut!

if you really can't choose then flip a coin - if you're disappointed by the outcome then pick the other one :wink:
Original post by Angry cucumber
If we are going on "WOAH!" vids; this is a winner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFQc7VRJowk&feature=related

That is absolutely awesome :eek:
Hi :smile:
I'm not entering for vet med just yet as I'm only in year 11 but i just had a few questions and you guys seem to know everything there is to know!!
I was just wondering how much work experience people were doing when they were in Year 11 so far I've done 2 weeks at a pet sitting agency/ 'doggy day care' and a week at a vets last year and have been a volunteer with cinnamon trust where i walked someones dogs for 8 months as they were terminally ill (not great experience i know!) For this summer I've got another week at the same vets and am hoping to do some regular volunteering with riding for the disabled once I've finished my exams. Do you think this is enough to be doing at this stage?
Also next year I'm hoping to take Biology, Chemistry, Geography and Psychology, I know this rules out Cambridge and Edinburgh as I'm not taking Physics or Maths but will it put me at a disadvantage for the other uni's?
Thankyou :smile:
Reply 7226
Original post by abiturner53
Hi :smile:
I'm not entering for vet med just yet as I'm only in year 11 but i just had a few questions and you guys seem to know everything there is to know!!
I was just wondering how much work experience people were doing when they were in Year 11 so far I've done 2 weeks at a pet sitting agency/ 'doggy day care' and a week at a vets last year and have been a volunteer with cinnamon trust where i walked someones dogs for 8 months as they were terminally ill (not great experience i know!) For this summer I've got another week at the same vets and am hoping to do some regular volunteering with riding for the disabled once I've finished my exams. Do you think this is enough to be doing at this stage?
Also next year I'm hoping to take Biology, Chemistry, Geography and Psychology, I know this rules out Cambridge and Edinburgh as I'm not taking Physics or Maths but will it put me at a disadvantage for the other uni's?
Thankyou :smile:

The first thing to say is that not taking Physics or Maths will not rule out Edinburgh - they have changed their requirements to AAA with Bio, Chem and a third academic subject. I should know - I've just had an interview with Geography as my third subject!

The work exp. you've done is a good start. I volunteer at RDA and it's a great experience so try and do that if you can. Other than that just make sure you have a few weeks vet practice (ideally at least two, small/large or mixed if possible), farms (especially dairy and lambing), kennels/catteries and you should be fine.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Cetacea
The first thing to say is that not taking Physics or Maths will not rule out Edinburgh - they have changed their requirements to AAA with Bio, Chem and a third academic subject. I should know - I've just had an interview with Geography as my third subject!

The work exp. you've done is a good start. I volunteer at RDA and it's a great experince so try and do that if you can. Other than that just make sure you have a few weeks vet practice, farms, kennels/catteries and you should be fine.

Thank you!!
Reply 7228
Original post by schizopear
if you really can't choose then flip a coin - if you're disappointed by the outcome then pick the other one :wink:

Thanks for this, when I told my friends/family/vets that this was how I was going to choose should I be lucky enough to get more than one offer, they all told me it was stupid and didn't make sense.
Is it safe to say that if I haven't heard from Notts by now after interview that I'm probably not getting an offer? Congrats to everyone with Notts and Bristol offers though!
Reply 7230

congrats on your offers, so jealous :P id say you should go back and have a look around the cities, whatever one you pick will be your home for the next 5 years!! all the vet courses are very similar so if i was lucky enough to get two offers id be picking the place i liked the most :smile: hope this helps

Hi
I have never been to Bristol but I can help a little with the SB situation. I assume you've been there for interview? If so you'll know that it's in the countryside :wink: i.e. not in the middle of a city! This is a big problem for some people. I absolutely loved the life at SB, but then I come from a small town so I am used to everyone knowing who you are and everyone knowing your business (good and bad!) all the time. I really enjoyed the community spirit there and even now 14yrs after graduating I am still in touch with a lot of friends from SB. On the negative side - the public transport can be a bit iffy, the shuttle bus to main campus is allegedly much better now. One of your friends will always have a car and you can take it in turns to be the designated driver on nights out. On the positive side, you will be right next door to the vet school if living in halls, and even when you move off campus you'll only be in the next village or so.

If you have any specific questions about SB life then I'll be happy to help (bearing in mind that I graduated in 1998!)

Well done on getting 2 offers :biggrin:
Original post by goldengemma
I'm slightly biased but I think Bristol's better... That might be because Nottingham rejected me (not just any day, but on my birthday) and Bristol made me an offer yesterday from my interview on Wednesday.
Nottingham looks fab, I think you'd be wise to have another look though and go on your gut!

Thanks for the advise :smile: Oh no, that's tough, sorry to hear about that from Nottingham. But glad that you've got a Bristol offer :smile: I think it would be best to visit Bristol again because I only visited the Langford site, and that to for only an hour or so.

Original post by schizopear

Haha good advice :smile: I tried that and ended up on Nottingham, and felt quite alright about that! I think I might pay a visit to Bristol, then make up my mind! Thanks for the help :smile:

Original post by hbeattie
congrats on your offers, so jealous :P id say you should go back and have a look around the cities, whatever one you pick will be your home for the next 5 years!! all the vet courses are very similar so if i was lucky enough to get two offers id be picking the place i liked the most :smile: hope this helps

Thanks so much :smile: wasn't expecting one offer let alone two! It does help a bit, thanks :biggrin:

Original post by clair0511
Hi
I have never been to Bristol but I can help a little with the SB situation. I assume you've been there for interview? If so you'll know that it's in the countryside :wink: i.e. not in the middle of a city! This is a big problem for some people. I absolutely loved the life at SB, but then I come from a small town so I am used to everyone knowing who you are and everyone knowing your business (good and bad!) all the time. I really enjoyed the community spirit there and even now 14yrs after graduating I am still in touch with a lot of friends from SB. On the negative side - the public transport can be a bit iffy, the shuttle bus to main campus is allegedly much better now. One of your friends will always have a car and you can take it in turns to be the designated driver on nights out. On the positive side, you will be right next door to the vet school if living in halls, and even when you move off campus you'll only be in the next village or so.

If you have any specific questions about SB life then I'll be happy to help (bearing in mind that I graduated in 1998!)

Well done on getting 2 offers :biggrin:

Thanks for your advice :smile: I did get more of a feel when I went for my Notts interview for SB and I fell in love with the Vet building, facillities and course. I think the problem for me may lie within the whole rural aspect of the campus (I'm from London so I'm used to the hustle and bustle of a city!) I guess I will get used to it. For me, I think I like the Notts course better (because of the new syllabus and intercalation) but I may like the Bristol lifestyle more... I am so confused! But thanks for your advice :smile:
had a mock interview with my vet yesterday, it was soooo usefull, i would recomend doing it to everyone, if you have a vet thats willing to help you of course, as i know some that with some vets you wouldnt stand a chance!!!!! She knew pretty much exactly what to and what not to say, great advice and was relentless with her questioning!!!!! bring on liverpool on wednesday, who else will be there at 11?
(edited 12 years ago)
You know for the Liverpool interview - the 5 references you need to take - I put on the WEQ that i will be doing my kennels work experience in the Easter holidays so obviously I don't have a reference becasue I haven't been yet. What should I do? Anyone else got this kind of problem?
Original post by harricarter11
You know for the Liverpool interview - the 5 references you need to take - I put on the WEQ that i will be doing my kennels work experience in the Easter holidays so obviously I don't have a reference becasue I haven't been yet. What should I do? Anyone else got this kind of problem?

so you dont have another dog/cat husbandry reference? i didnt have a large animal vet 1 so got one done this week. but i phoned liverpool up to ask if my mixed practice reference would be ok for both large and small animal vet, and they said that if i couldnt get one from the equine vets, then i should just put in a little note saying that this was the case, liv said that would be ok.

are you going to be there on wednesday?
Original post by hannah.daw
are you going to be there on wednesday?

Yeah my Liverpool interview is at noon on Wednesday - i'm getting quite nervous now! Do you know what i should do about the reference problem?

The only dog/cat experience I had , other than small animal vet practices, was one day at a extremely wierd, middle of nowhere dog breeders. [ wierdest experience of my life!!]

I didn't get any reference for that, not that I really learnt much, but I got an offer from Liverpool! I just included an extra farming reference, and put a note in the envelope explaining why, so I wouldnt worry!!

Good luck in your interview, and dont be too nervous its really not that bad!!
Original post by milly123!
The only dog/cat experience I had , other than small animal vet practices, was one day at a extremely wierd, middle of nowhere dog breeders. [ wierdest experience of my life!!]

I didn't get any reference for that, not that I really learnt much, but I got an offer from Liverpool! I just included an extra farming reference, and put a note in the envelope explaining why, so I wouldnt worry!!

Good luck in your interview, and dont be too nervous its really not that bad!!

Thanks, I think i'll do the same as you did. Got to go try get a reference from the stables I worked at for two weeks now. I've been and asked in person for twice already and emailed twice - with no luck. Its so annoying!

Anyhot tips for the Liv interview? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending