The Student Room Group

Calling all 2012 VetMed entry hopefuls, *VERY* Early i know!

Scroll to see replies

All mine were properly letter-headed, with contact details, apart from one which was written on notepaper, maybe photocopy the envelope onto a clean white sheet, and write the contact details on yourself? :smile:
Reply 61
thought i'd rescue this thread from the second page....

how are all the 2012 applicants getting along? steaming ahead with their work experience?

i'm getting a bit nervous about going back to college as it's been eight or nine years since i did any chemistry or physics! i'm hoping biology will be alright though...
Wow, can't believe I missed this thread, I've been lurking for ages wondering if one would show up. :p:

Anyway I'm Chels, I live in Manchester and have wanted to be a vet since I was tiiiny. Hai! :smile:

I'll -hopefully- be applying next year for 2012 entry too. It seems so scary that it's only 14 months till I need to be ready!

Work experience wise I'm a little behind. I have 5 days at a big stable and 4 days at a community farm. I also do three days a week at my local SA practice which I LOVE and has really been the motivation to put all my effort into working towards vettiness.

Anyone else worrying about GCSE results? :s-smilie:
Reply 63
ChelsRottie

Anyone else worrying about GCSE results? :s-smilie:

Pretending not to! And hey, Chels. I've only got 2 weeks w/e so far plus a little bit at some kennels. Starting a week at my local vets on Monday...
Reply 64
JLW
OP
YES to the GCSE Q! I'm having a major panic :frown:

I've just finished my work exp at st.helens goat farm today and it was so so so good. It's the best placement i've had! So thats two weeks with goaties, then i've done 2 weeks in a kennels and cattery, 1 week SA, another planned, 2 weeks equine vets planned, lifetime experience with horses and i'm using my riding out for people as equine experience. 2 weeks lambing at christmas planned and 2 weeks on a dairy farm in wales, which is really far away from my little world in Yorkshire so i'm staying on site. Also might be going to do a week of SA in Canada, in a town called Camrose near Calgary and Edmonton.

I'm hoping my W.E will help for any dodgy grades :/
Anyone else?
Reply 65
Hey! I've had the same worries about exams, I've just decided to put it out of my head and forget about it until I receive them through the post.

W/E wise I've been spending the whole summer doing it. So far I've got a weeks SA, 1/2 week lambing, 1 week dairy, 1 week sheep, 1 week assorted Small Furries and I've got 1 week dogs trust and 1 week Donkey Sanctuary coming up before I go back. The rest of my W/E is from September onwards so it's 1 week Exmoor Zoo, organised 1 afternoon/evening a week at a mixed practice, 1 week lambing, 1 week SA, 1 week LA, 1 week Slimbridge, 2 weeks Stables, 1 week pigs, 1 week Equine practice and if I have any time spare I may do some sort of lab/hydrotherapy W.E.

I honestly can't believe its so close! Only got until next October and all the work'll accumulate! How is everyone feeling about A-Levels? I'm just worrying about the intense workload and W/E and extra curricular. I've heard horror stories of people getting good GCSEs and then failing epically at A-Levels due to it being such a contrast :frown:
Reply 66
I'm concerned about A Levels because I haven't studied properly for about 10 years. I don't actually know if my brain still works lol guess I'll find out beginning of september :P
I'm trying not to think about A-Levels because some people find them harder, whilst others have enjoyed them more. I hope I can just relate what we're being taught more to real life. GCSE Chemistry was just numbers and formulae to me, I didn't understand the use of any of it lol!

God the amount of experience you all have scares me! D: I need to really knuckle down in the holidays coming up. And I need to find money somehow, too! x.x
Reply 68
JLW
OP
I work in a pub too, that tides me over, along with allowance from parents :smile: Its hard fitting it in and i have been late for my actual job at least half a dozen times now but i need money for petrol and savings!
Reply 69
ChelsRottie
I'm trying not to think about A-Levels because some people find them harder, whilst others have enjoyed them more. I hope I can just relate what we're being taught more to real life. GCSE Chemistry was just numbers and formulae to me, I didn't understand the use of any of it lol!

God the amount of experience you all have scares me! D: I need to really knuckle down in the holidays coming up. And I need to find money somehow, too! x.x

Ah, you won't like A2 Chemistry then! However, it is so much more interesting at A Level, although the jump in all subjects is pretty big, and because you're doing fewer subjects you can concentrate more on them. I definitely enjoyed A Levels more than GCSE.
Reply 70
JLW
OP
Ok, A-level choices guys?! I know that i don't want to do maths as a subject ever again but i deffinately want to do Biology and Chemistry and Psychology but i'm no closer to deciding on the fourth one. Any ideas welcome!

I can't go and get my GCSE results because i'm having an opperation to fix my nose on that tuesday so i'm spending all of my recovery time firmly deciding on that one other subect. Please help mee! :smile:
English language :biggrin: ( not that I did it )
Reply 72
what's the choices available for your fourth?
Reply 73
JLW
OP
Quite varied tbh, from the information i can find on my schools website we're doing these..
History
Geography
Maths
Further Maths
Media
Dance
Theatre Studies
Music
Economics
Law
ICT
Buisness Studies
English Lang
English Lit
Health and Social
Sociology
Art
D & T
Polotics
Spanish
French
Film Studies
Food Tech
Science in Society
Physics
and Philosophy + my 3
Reply 74
how come you get to choose from so many? my college has like 5 or 6 choices per block. Anyway whittle it down to those that will not help your application in the slightest so dance, food tech etc are out unless you have a specific strong reason for choosing it. Out of those left what do you fancy?

Cambridge:

Passes in three of the following:
Biology/Human Biology; Chemistry; Physics; Mathematics. One of the subjects must be Chemistry and at least one pass must be at A level.
Reply 75
JLW
OP
I haven't a clue. I really haven't. I'm not sure whether i want to endure another year of physics or not :/ they are all done in blocks but all of my pre chosen choices are in every block so whichever other one i choose, they will all fit :smile:
Reply 76
Cool thats lucky! All the interesting stuff at my college is in the Human Biology block and all the crap is in with physics. I really want to do further math but thats in with Bio :frown:

Ed:

Three A levels: AAB in Chemistry, Biology and either Maths or Physics - including A in Chemistry.

To keep your options open make your 3rd Math or Physics is my advice.
I'm doing what Alieshia suggested: Bio, Chem and Physics, plus English Lit (Won't these next two years be FUN xD), but seeing as RVC and Notts will be out of the running in the pretty certain chance I miss my A in Chem, I need to keep them all open. :p:

Do something you're good at! :smile:
Reply 78
i'm doing biology, chemistry and physics because i already have a maths a-level :smile:
Reply 79
JLW
YES to the GCSE Q! I'm having a major panic :frown:

I've just finished my work exp at st.helens goat farm today and it was so so so good. It's the best placement i've had! So thats two weeks with goaties, then i've done 2 weeks in a kennels and cattery, 1 week SA, another planned, 2 weeks equine vets planned, lifetime experience with horses and i'm using my riding out for people as equine experience. 2 weeks lambing at christmas planned and 2 weeks on a dairy farm in wales, which is really far away from my little world in Yorkshire so i'm staying on site. Also might be going to do a week of SA in Canada, in a town called Camrose near Calgary and Edmonton.

I'm hoping my W.E will help for any dodgy grades :/
Anyone else?

I've been there! How come you might be able to go? I'm very jealous. If you haven't been before (which I guess you probs have) the Edmonton mall is worth going to just to ogle at the sheer size of it! Also your work ex looks really good so far, I think at your guys stage I had 2 weeks SA, 18 months RDA, a week pig and that might well be all, can't quite remember!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending