The Student Room Group

Calling all 2012 VetMed entry hopefuls, *VERY* Early i know!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Leigh303
Can I just ask, how much work experience did you guys have before starting year 12?

I'm on a dairy placement atm - just off to feed the calves :biggrin:

I had none. Up until July I had a week's work experience. To say the least I haven't had a summer holiday :smile:
thank you kookabura, you're amazing :biggrin:

i had 10 weeks as i started year 12 ^__^
Just in case people don't know, thought I would let you know/remind you that there is a personal statement review forum on TSR. There is also a PS library with a few vet statements in it.

There are two or three of us who are vet students who review PSs. It means you get a review from a vet student, rather than just your parents/teachers/friends who often don't have a clue what a vet statement needs to have! If you are posting your statement, it is worth not leaving it until the last minute - the PS forum gets very busy then and it will be hard to review your statement in time, and def not a re-draft review.

Only PS helpers can see your PS, so you don't need to worry about other people 'stealing' it (as we are all at uni already!) And be careful about posting statements in here or messaging them to random people! Make sure they are already students, as with the best will in the world it is easy when reading other peoples statements to accidently use phrases they have used. I'm not saying anyone on here would steal statements, but generally speaking it is good to be careful about where you post them online as searches will bring them up for anyone to use. :smile:

Anyway, like I said, just thought I would point it out to any of you who weren't aware.
Can I just ask, how much work experience did you guys have before starting year 12?

I had 1 week horses, 1 week vets and two and half years working at a vets! I've also had a very busy summer holiday!
does anyone know how long term placements work out into weeks? do you just take the hours in a typical week and work it out from how many hours you have worked?
ok thanks everyone :smile: i will have 8 weeks + about 4 years kennels by september, so im on track!
hehehe brought a horn home from the dairy farm today, the vet was dehorning, my mum was like theres blood and hair on it, I laughed :biggrin:
Reply 1167

I had 3 weeks in a vets, which I did as my year 10 work experience so i've literally had no summer. I wish i'd started sooner but oh well, it's too late to worry about that now :/
How much do you have?
going to spend more time at the stables tomoz, then thursday i will spend the day comfort watching prison break, (2nd time) then going to cinema with mates and eating take away at mine as either a celebration or a comfort, haha, then friday either stables or own farm, depends and next week ive got a day with a pd testing woman
This week i'm at hampton vets, and today i went on a call out to Bankhouse stables, Donald mccains training yard! I got so excited and got too see ballabriggs! Tomorrow we are visitng Manor House Stables, Michael Owen's training yard! Shame about the worry of thursday though..!
Arghh this work experience is driving me crazy on friday i wud have done 3 weeks work experience in a row. :frown: worth it though i gess- unless i fail my a levels then its not lol :/
Original post by jordanelouise
This week i'm at hampton vets, and today i went on a call out to Bankhouse stables, Donald mccains training yard! I got so excited and got too see ballabriggs! Tomorrow we are visitng Manor House Stables, Michael Owen's training yard! Shame about the worry of thursday though..!

^
OOO: you lucky lucky lucky person -jealous- :frown: the only race yard i've ever had contact with was john best when one of their horses was admitted at the equine hospital i went to :biggrin:

lol boom this is my fifth week in a row and i still have two more, my knees caps are literally about to explode and the bottom of my feet are rock hard xDDD
Original post by dizzeedollee
^
OOO: you lucky lucky lucky person -jealous- :frown: the only race yard i've ever had contact with was john best when one of their horses was admitted at the equine hospital i went to :biggrin:

lol boom this is my fifth week in a row and i still have two more, my knees caps are literally about to explode and the bottom of my feet are rock hard xDDD

oh wow! that must have been amazing still :biggrin: oh my your 5th week! that's determination! How much work experience do you have altogether then? you must have loads!!
Original post by totallyme
Congrats on the results, Ellieblah - they're fantastic!! :biggrin:

I got mine due to the error also. Unfortunately only achieved BBC (bio, chem and physics respectively) at advanced higher (really shocked as I felt sure I'd got ABB at least!). I feel a bit like the veterinary dream is slipping away but I'm trying to "man up" as my boyfriend tells me and make the best of it. It's the Scottish minimum so I've still got every chance with them and I'm just going to try my luck and apply to 2 in England because I can anyways :tongue: Not hoping for much but it's probably better that way! I'm still going to talk to my school on Monday and see if there's anything they can do, such as get them remarked....fingers crossed!! :s-smilie:

Sorry for late reply, have been busy (no prize for guessing I was busy with work exp!) Thankyou I was very relieved, although a bit disappointed that the B was in human bio, was one of my strongest subjects through the year! And I think your boyfriend is right, don't worry about it til you know because BBC is still up there with a chance, especially as your Bs are in Bio and Chem which is what they want
Also, whose going to which open days? I missed out on a place at Edinburghs open day so I think i'm just going to Glasgow, Liverpool and Nottingham open days this year, what about you guys?
Original post by jordanelouise
oh wow! that must have been amazing still :biggrin: oh my your 5th week! that's determination! How much work experience do you have altogether then? you must have loads!!

^
he was a bit crazy and almost punched the vet in the face twice D:
right now this is my seventeenth week of work experience but i still have a tiny bit more to do -tired- xD
^
he was a bit crazy and almost punched the vet in the face twice D:
right now this is my seventeenth week of work experience but i still have a tiny bit more to do -tired- xD

What. The. ****. SEVENTEENTH?! You need a break! (so the rest of us don't look bad :tongue:) I've done my sixth week. Wow. I feel like crap now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ellieblah
Also, whose going to which open days? I missed out on a place at Edinburghs open day so I think i'm just going to Glasgow, Liverpool and Nottingham open days this year, what about you guys?

I'm going to Notts open day on the 10th September :smile:
O.M.G. you know i was so calm about results day until about two minutes ago when my friend posted the grade boundaries for ocr (all my exams were with them) and now i'm panicking, the boundaries are so high this year ;A;

and LOL giblets it won't look good if i sit there in interview dazed and not knowing anything about my w/e xD
O.M.G. you know i was so calm about results day until about two minutes ago when my friend posted the grade boundaries for ocr (all my exams were with them) and now i'm panicking, the boundaries are so high this year ;A;

and LOL giblets it won't look good if i sit there in interview dazed and not knowing anything about my w/e xD

I'm not nervous just yet. I'm prolonging the agony by going to the stables in the morning. Apart from now I'm worried I won't get back in time to get results..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending