The Student Room Group

Calling all 2012 VetMed entry hopefuls, *VERY* Early i know!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cetacea
All of mine were from Edexcel so I just got an A5 slip with my results on.

What did you get for Latin? I did GCSE Latin and got an A* and would have liked to carry on, but my school didn't offer it to A-level! Latin certainly looks impressive on an application though!

i did latin and classical greek for GCSE (predicted A*s) and couldnt decide which to do for A level. so im doing greek :colondollar:
Original post by Leigh303
i did latin and classical greek for GCSE (predicted A*s) and couldnt decide which to do for A level. so im doing greek :colondollar:

^
i did classical greek for as level too, it was craaaazy. but mostly because my school tried to cram the six year course into two years o_O
Reply 1202
Original post by Leigh303

That's good! They're both amazing languages to learn and no doubt help with our own English language. Certainly the Latin may come in useful in the anatomy module at uni! :wink:
Original post by Robert McGeachan
With the Glasgow vet school is it the same as Nottingham in which you spend all five years out in the sticks?

Hey there, the Glasgow Vet school isn't as far out of the city as it seems! I know people who cycle and there are many buses, and it is a beautiful place out there (can anyone tell where I want to go hehe)
Original post by dizzeedollee
^
i did classical greek for as level too, it was craaaazy. but mostly because my school tried to cram the six year course into two years o_O

haha hopefully it wont be tooo bad, theres only 2 of us doing it and we have to have revised all the GCSE vocab/grammar by sept so we're ready to go. :wink:
congratulations to everyone on results - managed to get AAA in biology, chemistry and physics so very happy! :biggrin:
Reply 1206
Hi all, I'm new around here and too want to become a vet! Check out the Certificate of Health Science at Lincoln, it seems quite good for those of us with average grades.
I got an A in bio and maths for my AS levels but a B in chemistry. If I get predicted an A for chem, do I still have a chance???
Original post by Liam1993
Hi all, I'm new around here and too want to become a vet! Check out the Certificate of Health Science at Lincoln, it seems quite good for those of us with average grades.

can you go on to study veterinary though? it doesn't mention it yet it mentions alot of other things more human related?
Reply 1209
http://www.lincoln.ac.uk/fabs/_courses/undergraduate/health_science/default.asp

Take a look at the first PDF and it has a little more info for the animal related subjects
Reply 1210
Original post by Cetacea
What have you done in the 9 weeks out of interest?

couple of weeks in small vet practice, week in a horse vet, three weeks worth at a stables, three weeks worth at a wildlife rescue place and a week on a farm

didn't manage to get lambing or dairy though, which are looked highly on
Reply 1211
Original post by Boooooooooom!
I got an A in bio and maths for my AS levels but a B in chemistry. If I get predicted an A for chem, do I still have a chance???

they should accept that. well I hope they will, I am in the same boat :frown:

it is probably still a disadvantage, but I doubt they would throw out the application because of it
Original post by Boooooooooom!

That will be fine :smile: There are plenty of people who don't have AAB/AAA at AS, but the right predicted grades. Some people don't even put their AS grades down on their UCAS (because of their schools system of 'cashing them in' or something like that!), but provided you have AAB or higher predicted it's fine. Especially since you are so close anyway, to it does look like you could def bring it up, there are people I know who had lower AS grades than that but managed to convince teachers to predict them what they needed, but it looks like it isn't as realistic.
Original post by Liam1993
http://www.lincoln.ac.uk/fabs/_courses/undergraduate/health_science/default.asp

Take a look at the first PDF and it has a little more info for the animal related subjects

I looked at that earlier this year, I'm not entirely sure if it's still running for Veterinary. The page was last updated in 2009 and their course doesn't seem to be on the UCAS website :frown:
ok, A in chem, B in biology, only 9 off an A tho!!! grrr. B in maths(C1=87, C2=83, STats=56 :frown: bloody stats!!!) C in spanish, im happy with that i thought it wud be like an E, haha, and a B in gen studies. resitting stats and biol 2 i think
Hi everyone! I applied for vet school last year and I'm leaving in September :smile: I beat the odds and did it, even though no one thought I would get in first time. So if you have any questions about applying, personal statements and interviews feel free to ask me. Good luck everyone!
Reply 1216
Original post by lucaf
couple of weeks in small vet practice, week in a horse vet, three weeks worth at a stables, three weeks worth at a wildlife rescue place and a week on a farm

didn't manage to get lambing or dairy though, which are looked highly on

That sounds good. It wouldn't hurt to book the lambing for the next season so that you have something. It can start as early as December/January.
Well done, Wildflower.

And to introduce myself on this year's thread:

I got three straight rejections over the year, then a final rejection in March from RVC after my interview there in December. I got my results yesterday (AAAB), so I'm reapplying this year, not sure of everywhere I'm applying just yet, but I am using the fifth option this year.

More worried about my first driving lesson which starts in about ten minutes. :woo:

Edit: Well, I didn't crash or stall but I met the kerb once or twice. I got up to 50mph and fifth gear so I'm fairly optimistic. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey Guys.

Well, it looks like I will be reapplying this year :smile:
Starting my personal statement soon and hopefully things turn out for the best :smile:
Original post by Irishguy2K10
Hey Guys.

Well, it looks like I will be reapplying this year :smile:
Starting my personal statement soon and hopefully things turn out for the best :smile:

WHAT? :eek: I was certain you'd get in for this year.

How are you, anyway? I haven't been on here since January so I've lost track of everyone from the 2011 thread.

I'm already signed up on Apply 2012. :smile: Now I'm alternating between staring at the blank Personal Statement box and pretending the section doesn't exist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending