The Student Room Group
This is compeltely irrelevant, but I've never even heard of it!
Reply 2
Gemma :)!
This is compeltely irrelevant, but I've never even heard of it!

LMFAO, ahh bad times :|. It's in birmingham. What uni do you go too, you enjoying the psych course??
Newman university? What the hell is that? I've never even heard of it.
Reply 4
GodspeedGehenna
Newman university? What the hell is that? I've never even heard of it.

Helpfullllllllllllllllllll..........
EllyElly
Helpfullllllllllllllllllll..........

I aim to please.
Reply 6
GodspeedGehenna
I aim to please.

Oh, I can tell :smile:
Reply 7
The vast majority of us on the psych forum will have thoroughly researched psych courses during our application - the fact that none of us have even heard of it ain't a good sign. My advice would be to retake and apply somewhere decent.
Reply 8
Yeah, I'm with Anna on this one. Being a psychology graduate is a tough thing in itself, let alone if you're trying to apply for competitive jobs with a relatively unknown university on your CV. With psych the university you go to does seem to matter, so try your best to improve your grades and apply somewhere which has a little more gravitas, at least in the field of psychology. I'm not saying you have to go somewhere that's high up in the league tables, but rather that is known for good research in psychology and that sort of thing.
Having gone to a 'bad' uni I'm no snob with tables, but as no one on here has even heard of the university, I would probably avoid it.
It's called: Newman University College :h:

and OP i'm sure you can get into a more well known and better Uni with the entry requirements they want!

What are your grades?
Reply 11
Im hoping for AAC :|. I don't really want to move away from home, can't afford it, and for aston uni i need ABB, and birmingham's AAB. I knew it wasn't great, just wanted to know what the actual uni was like. But yeah i think i'll take you're advice as no one appears to of heard of it lmao! Thanks for the replies :smile:
EllyElly
Im hoping for AAC :|. I don't really want to move away from home, can't afford it, and for aston uni i need ABB, and birmingham's AAB. I knew it wasn't great, just wanted to know what the actual uni was like. But yeah i think i'll take you're advice as no one appears to of heard of it lmao! Thanks for the replies :smile:

Everyone can afford it. Even if you only get 75% loans and no bursaries you can easily make up the difference by working a shift here and there. Of course, it's not always easy getting a job, so it would be good to have a small contingency fund until you do. Fortunately, most highstreet banks offer interest free overdrafts to students. That will set you up with a few grand to fall back on until you work.

Picking a university is like picking a car. Essentially you're investing £20,000 of your own money in something that you will stay with you for a very long time. Subsequently, you don't go out and buy the first heap of **** that you come across. You want to get the most bang for your buck.

At the end of the day, university is an expensive investment and you need to get your money's worth. This is not done by going to a university that is not even on the radar.

Seriously, with AAC you could go to Kent, which has an excellent Psych department and is quite well known for the research that it produces. Failing that, it would be seriously worth retaking a few modules. Bump that up to AAB or even ABB and you're sitting pretty as this seems to be the cut-off between **** ex-swimming pool universities and half decent ones that are actually worth attending.

I seriously advice that you reconsider. It's hard getting a job from a decent university, let alone one that nobody has heard of.

llacerta
Yeah, I'm with Anna on this one. Being a psychology graduate is a tough thing in itself, let alone if you're trying to apply for competitive jobs with a relatively unknown university on your CV. With psych the university you go to does seem to matter, so try your best to improve your grades and apply somewhere which has a little more gravitas, at least in the field of psychology. I'm not saying you have to go somewhere that's high up in the league tables, but rather that is known for good research in psychology and that sort of thing.

lol - So polite.
Reply 13
GodspeedGehenna

lol - So polite.

I aim to please. :p:
Reply 14
GodspeedGehenna
Everyone can afford it. Even if you only get 75% loans and no bursaries you can easily make up the difference by working a shift here and there. Of course, it's not always easy getting a job, so it would be good to have a small contingency fund until you do. Fortunately, most highstreet banks offer interest free overdrafts to students. That will set you up with a few grand to fall back on until you work.

Picking a university is like picking a car. Essentially you're investing £20,000 of your own money in something that you will stay with you for a very long time. Subsequently, you don't go out and buy the first heap of **** that you come across. You want to get the most bang for your buck.

At the end of the day, university is an expensive investment and you need to get your money's worth. This is not done by going to a university that is not even on the radar.

Seriously, with AAC you could go to Kent, which has an excellent Psych department and is quite well known for the research that it produces. Failing that, it would be seriously worth retaking a few modules. Bump that up to AAB or even ABB and you're sitting pretty as this seems to be the cut-off between **** ex-swimming pool universities and half decent ones that are actually worth attending.

I seriously advice that you reconsider. It's hard getting a job from a decent university, let alone one that nobody has heard of.

Okaaayy! I think I get it. I'm not completely oblivious to what uni's are good and which are not, and just how competative it is. I just wondered if I could get an opinion from someone who went there. It's not like it's my first choice, obviously if I get into somewhere decent I'll go there. I might not even apply there. But yeah, thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 15
EllyElly

Have you had an offer from Aston? Because if not (or even if you have, actually), it's possible that they'll take AAC instead of ABB - I started Psychology at Aston last year (so you should blatantly come, as I am here) with an offer for ABB and got in with ABC! The placement year makes it a fairly competitive course, too.

To echo everyone else's response, although I actually have heard of Newman (but that's only because they run a teaching placement thing which... is irrelevant so I'll shush), I really don't think it's a good way to spend 3 years and lots of money :/
Reply 16
midas
Have you had an offer from Aston? Because if not (or even if you have, actually), it's possible that they'll take AAC instead of ABB - I started Psychology at Aston last year (so you should blatantly come, as I am here) with an offer for ABB and got in with ABC! The placement year makes it a fairly competitive course, too.

To echo everyone else's response, although I actually have heard of Newman (but that's only because they run a teaching placement thing which... is irrelevant so I'll shush), I really don't think it's a good way to spend 3 years and lots of money :/

I'm applying for entry in 2011, and ohh really! I'm definatly applying at Aston then. I just didn't wnat to waste space on my UCAS if there was no chance of me even getting an offer. But I've got nothing to lose by trying. How's the course at Aston? Haha I think I won't even bother putting Newman down as a choice now. Thanks
Reply 17
EllyElly
I'm applying for entry in 2011, and ohh really! I'm definatly applying at Aston then. I just didn't wnat to waste space on my UCAS if there was no chance of me even getting an offer. But I've got nothing to lose by trying. How's the course at Aston? Haha I think I won't even bother putting Newman down as a choice now. Thanks

I'm really enjoying the course, except for one module that I hated but I guess that's bound to happen! Gotta start looking for a placement for third year in the next couple of months, exciting stuff! You don't have too many hours (I think I had 7 or 8 hours of lectures a week last term) but you do get a LOT of reading which it's best to keep up with (which I didn't) or you'll panic come exam time (which I did...).

Hope everything works out for you, I'd definitely apply :smile:

Latest