The Student Room Group

What do YOU consider a good starting salary for a graduate?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jellybeanjen
Define "proper degree" - I'm pretty sure that the subjects I studied at undergraduate level (politics and law) are considered academically challenging by most people. My degree got me a place on a competitive graduate scheme that paid the fees for my Masters, gave me a large bursary while I studied, and guaranteed me a job afterwards. I can assure you I'm in no predicament at present earning £29k a year from that job, apart from possibly that posed by some of my more difficult service users!

something that doesnt involve fine arts or media studies. i was under the pretence that you hadnt secured a job, but 29k is awesome.
Reply 281
Original post by Quady
Well thats never really been the case anyway.

Of course it has. Think about apprenticeships, people starting work at banks/insurance companies as clerks and working their way up.

Original post by Quady

Whats wrong with it is that being an awesome checkout assistant doesn't mean you'd be a good logistics manager

True, but being a checkout assistant gives you a better chance to demonstrate that you have potential to be a checkout manager and start off by already knowing the job. My point is that having no work experience and a generic university degree proves even less.
Reply 282
Original post by Jake22
Of course it has. Think about apprenticeships, people starting work at banks/insurance companies as clerks and working their way up.

True, but being a checkout assistant gives you a better chance to demonstrate that you have potential to be a checkout manager and start off by already knowing the job. My point is that having no work experience and a generic university degree proves even less.

Compared to a university graduate? You're comparing two different sets of people. University grads completely jumped up the ladder into higher ranking jobs, just as they do now.

Well thats fair enough, but if you come out of uni with no work experience or other redeeming experience and just a generic degree you won't get a job which jumps you ahead of others anyway.
Minimum £20k will be happy with £25-30k
Reply 284
Original post by Quady

Well thats fair enough, but if you come out of uni with no work experience or other redeeming experience and just a generic degree you won't get a job which jumps you ahead of others anyway.

But that is essentially what a graduate scheme is.

I know people from my undergrad who got on those sorts of things and the only 'work' experience they had were summer 'internships' which were essentially week long guided tours of a company.
Original post by Jake22
But that is essentially what a graduate scheme is.

I know people from my undergrad who got on those sorts of things and the only 'work' experience they had were summer 'internships' which were essentially week long guided tours of a company.

Those aren't really internships. Internships will last for 6-10 weeks, are quite often paid and require quite a lot of work (because you can get jobs offered straight off them). This happens in engineering, big computing firms, finance and more.
Original post by hassi94
Almost all accountants, strategy consultants and middle/back office bank jobs pay around £30-35k.

'almost all' accountants pay £30-35k for starting? :eyeball:

You are looking more at £26-27k in London, £20-22k in the regions at Big 4 firms. Less for smaller firms.

Some of those Big 4 accountancy firms might pay £30k+ in London for their corporate finance graduate schemes etc but not for audit, tax etc.
Reply 287
19k bare minimum
Original post by MagicNMedicine
'almost all' accountants pay £30-35k for starting? :eyeball:

You are looking more at £26-27k in London, £20-22k in the regions at Big 4 firms. Less for smaller firms.

Some of those Big 4 accountancy firms might pay £30k+ in London for their corporate finance graduate schemes etc but not for audit, tax etc.

Sorry I did mean in london there (and I guess I was thinking of big 4 when I wrote that). To be honest I sort of threw accounting in there with very little knowledge of it, but I guess a lower salary makes sense considering they're paying for the ACA and stuff. Well I'll retract 'almost all' then, but my point that there are lots of grad scheme jobs that pay over £30k stands :tongue:
Reply 289
I think alot of you are a bit over confident? In your starting wage prospects to be honest. The average graduate wage is £23,000 as the Median. http://ww2.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Main_menu___Research/Labour_market_information/Labour_market_FAQs/What_is_the_average_graduate_starting_salary_/p!epmglcg
Reply 290
Original post by Jonesy12
I think alot of you are a bit over confident? In your starting wage prospects to be honest. The average graduate wage is £23,000 as the Median. http://ww2.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Main_menu___Research/Labour_market_information/Labour_market_FAQs/What_is_the_average_graduate_starting_salary_/p!epmglcg

The average student doesn't come here.
Reply 291
Consider this:

The (median) yearly salary for all workers in the UK is around £20,000 and the (median) average salary for all 20-24 year old workers is about £12,000.

That means, if you are a 21 year old graduate earning £12,000 you are earning more than half of all 20-24 year old workers in the country.

If you are paid £20,000, then you are earning more than half of the entire working population of the country, including people with much more experience than you.

Now reconcile this with the fact that over 40% of people (and this proportion is still rising) are doing undergraduate degrees.
Reply 292
Original post by Jake22
Consider this:

The (median) yearly salary for all workers in the UK is around £20,000 and the (median) average salary for all 20-24 year old workers is about £12,000.

That means, if you are a 21 year old graduate earning £12,000 you are earning more than half of all 20-24 year old workers in the country.

If you are paid £20,000, then you are earning more than half of the entire working population of the country, including people with much more experience than you.

Now reconcile this with the fact that over 40% of people (and this proportion is still rising) are doing undergraduate degrees.

The mean graduate starting salary is £19,500.

Meh for me I was on £15k during my placement year whilst getting my degree and my first real job (ie first job after graduation) was £28k. Admittedly thats just me, but I don't think the sort of saddos that populate TSR are representative of the student popoulation, let alone the wider UK population
Original post by maskofsanity

What's the current UK average?
In this current economic climate anything above £20k can be classed as a good salary. Only the big money professions like Law/Medicine/Dentistry/Finance etc pay the big money starting salaries. Most other professions won't pay you those kinds of salaries even if you've been working in your field for 10+ years.

It's not all about the salary though. If you want a good work/life balance don't be blinded by those big numbers. They often come at a high-price (though not always).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by niels-bohr

If i can do it, so can anyone, even those studying fine arts, or communication studies.

I don't think that's strictly true, there is a large element of luck in these things - luck that you happen to be the person the recruiter has in mind, appropriate manner, skills etc.
xx
Reply 296
True dat. But on much below £25k, you would really struggle to live an adult life in London. A nice office environment doesn't make up for having to sponge off your parents.

Original post by HighestKungFu
It's not all about the salary though. If you want a good work/life balance don't be blinded by those big numbers. They often come at a high-price (though not always).
Reply 297
For those who haven't graduated yet, let me warn you..

Unless you're accepted onto a graduate scheme, you can pretty much forget earning over 20k in your first job.

I graduated in 2008 and am still yet to break any higher than 18k.
The job market right now is awful. Businesses cannot afford to recruit or pay a decent wage. Jobs are oversubscribed.

Even if like me, your grades are good (2.1, ABBC at A level, 10x A*-A grade GCSE) you're going to find it tough. There's a lot of good people out there. I passed all the tests and assessments, got to the final 12 candidates of the IBM graduate scheme but unfortunately wasn't picked.

My advice is once you graduate, take any job you can get. Even if it is part time. Live at home & don't be a job snob :frown:

Being on JSA is NOT fun!!
Reply 298
Atleast 21k.
£20k+

I'm already qualified to band 5 level on the NHS, which is minimum £21k, so I'd have to be desperate for work to accept less than £20k, or the job would have to have some really good benefits.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending