The Student Room Group

What do YOU consider a good starting salary for a graduate?

Scroll to see replies

Role & Responsibility, Expense Account, Location, Benefits - You must factor these in when considering how well your job 'pays'.
...and arguable how you can best fit your pay with your tax payments.
Here's a depressing statistic: when I was working as a janitor, I made 17k per year (had I worked the entire year). I was 15.
Reply 83
over £20k

It said 'good salary' not what you would expect to be paid. I would happily settle for a lot lower then that.
Reply 84
£25k - ok
£28k - good
£30-35 - very good
£40k+ - excellent
Reply 85
£72,000 anyone?
Lozza_00
Wow, What degree did you do and what job aer you going into?

I did a law degree and I'm going to be a trainee solicitor in the City. TBH though a simple glance at my profile would have told you the former.
Reply 87
maskofsanity
So you've graduated and got your first job, what do you consider a good starting salary for this job? :smile:

£6 an hour.

However for graduate level entry positions (rather than general jobs that people with degrees apply for), £20k+.

For the highly sought after, can be much higher starting point. Mature student with management experience for several years can start higher than a 21 year old with no management experience but freshly printed degree certificate joining the same company.
maskofsanity
So you've graduated and got your first job, what do you consider a good starting salary for this job? :smile:

I'm picky but has to be >£35,000

Anything else is...well underpaid but i guess there still some people can manage with crazy salary of £12,000, £15,000, £18,000, etc.
Reply 89
Good would be £25k+.
Reply 90
fourdigit
I'm picky but has to be >£35,000

Anything else is...well underpaid but i guess there still some people can manage with crazy salary of £12,000, £15,000, £18,000, etc.

I hope you're planning to be a City lawyer - that's currently the only graduate job that pays over £35k, according to this summer's Association of Graduate Recruiters' survey.

According to your figure an investment banker would be underpaid..
Reply 91
£20k+, £25k would be sweet.
Reply 92
Typical TSR. This place makes me lol.
Reply 93
no less than 22k
£25kish+, I'd hope for. :laugh:
15mil
Reply 96
Roughly what percentage of graduates walk into a job sstarting at 18k or above?
Working full time in retail for minimum wage earns exactly half that, £9k a year. Are these well paid grad schemes very hard to get into?
lol £12k+ would be a good starting point, even though im earning more than that now.

What are these £35k+ a year doing.
meebodied
Roughly what percentage of graduates walk into a job sstarting at 18k or above?
Working full time in retail for minimum wage earns exactly half that, £9k a year. Are these well paid grad schemes very hard to get into?

The median graduate starting salary is 19.5k. So 50% walk into a job paying more than that.
Reply 99
meebodied

Working full time in retail for minimum wage earns exactly half that, £9k a year.

Im not sure what planet you are on but min wage is £5.80 and full time is generally considered 37 hours a week. You do the maths, it certainly isnt 9k!

I know there is the lower development rate but i dont know of any retailer who would pay you that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending