The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I find the adverts misleading and bisexual.
I also hate all those "student" adverts. They've clearly been made by people who've never met an actual student in their lives and just base everything off this stereotype.
The worst thing though is when you see students portrayed in sit-coms and other TV shows. It's so vomit-inducingly cringe worthy, especially if you're watching it with family and they say **** like "oh I bet that looks familiar to you!". :nooo:
I hate the way whenever I tell people I'm a "student" they tend to look at me a bit weird. I know they're thinking "dosser", but it couldn't be further from the truth.

I mean sure, I don't have a part time job during term time, but this is because I have to work myself half to death to get the grades I get- whereas a lot of other people could probably get what I do with their eyes closed.
Just out of interest, would those who have said they hate the adverts be turned off by advertising that portrayed students as more hard working. For example an advert for a newsweekly that was along the lines of "students, read this news weekly and get a good internship" obviously not in those words, but you get the gist. Is it targeting in general you hate or the bad stereotype.
Reply 24
GodspeedGehenna

PS - tl;dr'ers will be negged. :top:

lol so tempted, but since i've recently worked hard to get out of - 500 i wont bother this time :smile:

It is annoying, but its a stereotype, and so there are some people who are like that, its like the stereotype that all indian parents are like this

when clearly not all are. Its just something that you'll have to live with i think.

halfoflessthan50p

:biggrin:

She's a tad bang tidy :sexface:

GodspeedGehenna
:yawn: One stock image is hardly what I am complaining about.

Lol, im hardly complaining either. In fact, give me MOAR!!! :awesome:
I dislike that and I hate the way some adverts, directed at students seem to imply that we're all scroungers too. Yea that's going to make me want to buy/watch your product.
Reply 26
Even more annoying is ironic marketing where they acknowledge the other silly advertising, but then still don't manage to come across as genuine.

GodspeedGehenna
For example, the channel E4 commonly does this, obviously due to the age range of their typical audience. What I'm referring to is the use of phrases like

'Oi you lazy students! Check out this cool new xxxxx'.

Or the KFC ad with generic scene student munching on chicken with the voice over going on about how this 'species' is usually found 'asleep until the afternoon' or some **** like that.

Or say, a bank advertising a student deal of some sort, trying to be all off-the-wall by getting some rapping bank manager or some ridiculous crap.

Am I the only one who finds this kind of weak marketing just poorly thought out and terribly contrived? Yeah, I'm a student, but hey I work ******* hard. I'm not lazy. In addition, I'm not going to be opening my wallet just because you whacked the word 'student' in there somewhere. It just makes me cringe to think of these mid 30's-40's men in some ****** pre-fab building 'blue sky thinking' to try and appeal to the 'student' market.

Even worse is when the word 'student' is used as an adjective which, in reality, means 'we're going to shaft you'. This is particularly apparent in 'student rentals' where you cough up £120pw for ONE ROOM in a shared house that is falling apart and with milk crates for furniture. **** that. Go to a proper real estate agent and don't even mention the fact that you're a student and suddenly your £120pw gets you a refurbished and furnished one/two-bed flat.

Ultimately yes, I understand that we are a prime market audience, but don't patronise me by advertising your product with a big dancing cow or Mr T. Some deals to reflect the typical interests of the audience are fantastic, but don't insult me by calling me lazy or by pushing the 'student' stereotype down my throat.

Am I the only one? :dontknow:

PS - tl;dr'ers will be negged. :top:

You're not exactly helping the stereotype are you now?

Imo, it seems you are representing the opinions of all students. I don't really care about that. What I find interesting is that to another person you are representing students as "complaining little kids who have yet to grow up in the real world :blah:"

Note, that's not my personal opinion of you.

The fact is, you're not going to get anywhere by complaining. Also, how did you come to be aware of "student targeted marketing"? Oh, you must have watched those programmes and those advertisements etc.

If you don't like it - turn it off. That's why the "turn off" button was created for.

Why don't you act upon your words and study as opposed to complaining about pathetic advertising?

You're not doing the world are favour now, are you? If you don't like it, just don't watch it. But I guess a "complaining little kid" can't really grasp that concept...

No surprise that advertisers have played that reality to get money off of untight students who do not care about their budgets.

The reality is that there are so-called "students" who don't care about their work, party all night, highly promiscious, on the verge of failing, waste their student loan on drinking. I don't blame advertisers for trying to get even more money from "these sort" of students.

Get over it. :hmmm:
TKC
Even more annoying is ironic marketing where they acknowledge the other silly advertising, but then still don't manage to come across as genuine.

I do hate that advert with a passion. :mad:
Reply 29
im so academic
Also, how did you come to be aware of "student targeted marketing"? Oh, you must have watched those programmes and those advertisements etc.

If you don't like it - turn it off. That's why the "turn off" button was created for.

It's a little more sophisticated than that. I am in email contact with UCAS, UEA, TSR and Student Finance, and as a result I get to see student-targeted adverts pop up everywhere from Googlemail to Youtube.
Jez RR
It's a little more sophisticated than that. I am in email contact with UCAS, UEA, TSR and Student Finance, and as a result I get to see student-targeted adverts pop up everywhere from Googlemail to Youtube.

Just ignore it, ffs. :rolleyes:
Reply 31
Meh, I find most of it is pretty accurate. Most of the students I know are dossers who could work a lot harder if they wanted to. If the majority of a group do behave a certain way, then of course the stereotype will exist, and products will be targetted accordingly.
Reply 32
im so academic
Just ignore it, ffs. :rolleyes:

I do - I have never purchased anything from any offer.

But that's not to say that I am unaware of it.
im so academic

*what the 'power' button was created for
*why the 'power' button was created

I personally have never seen a television remote with a separate on and off button.
What you said was incorrect. Sorry if you don't like me correcting you, but please correct yourself before criticising others.
You are talking about the company: advertising worked. Well done, you fell for it.
Reply 35
GodspeedGehenna

Even worse is when the word 'student' is used as an adjective

This. I agree wholeheartedly. I really, really hate the idea that everyone undertaking tertiary education should be boxed off and compartmentalised as some fringe group existing seperately from mainstream society. What about those men and women who live normal lives in mainstream accomodation with normal people who drink at normal pubs but just happen to be studying at a university?
oscarwildelike
You are talking about the company: advertising worked. Well done, you fell for it.

Erm, not really.

Advertising doesn't really work along the lines of 'any publicity is good publicity' now, does it?
GodspeedGehenna
Erm, not really.

Advertising doesn't really work along the lines of 'any publicity is good publicity' now, does it?

Some does. You are talking about KFC and their student aimed adverts, which will have connected KFC and student to anyone reading this, and anyone you told in real life. Many adverts have been made so bad/distasteful that people talk about them all the time, and so the product is in ones head.
oscarwildelike
Many adverts have been made so bad/distasteful that people talk about them all the time, and so the product is in ones head.

Erm, an advert might attempt to be bad/distasteful in a way that is humourous and subsequently leaves a positive impact. Any advert which insults or offends its audience will only leave consumers with a bitter taste and a resentment for that product.

Do you honestly think an advert where the spokesman just went '**** YOU. **** YOU, CONSUMERS' would actually make people go and buy that product? Are you stupid?

oscarwildelike
Some does.

For someone who apparently likes Oscar Wilde, you're not very eloquent. Some does? Really?
GodspeedGehenna
Erm, an advert might attempt to be bad/distasteful in a way that is humourous and subsequently leaves a positive impact. Any advert which insults or offends its audience will only leave consumers with a bitter taste and a resentment for that product.

Do you honestly think an advert where the spokesman just went '**** YOU. **** YOU, CONSUMERS' would actually make people go and buy that product? Are you stupid?

For someone who apparently likes Oscar Wilde, you're not very eloquent. Some does? Really?

Look at my statement in context. The student stereotype is obviously intended with a degree of irony, the aim being to get people talking about it and getting the brand into people's heads. If one hears people laughing about KFC adverts or bitching about them they might try it for a laugh. They might even go and complain at the local store. With fast food outlets many people stick to one brand: McDo/BK/KFC/Subway. The aim is to bring people into KFC any way they can. Of course they will offend a few people, but those who aren't offended are in the majority. Inversely there are probably some people that don't like you, and if they hear you bitching about KFC they'll think "what a weirdo, lets go to KFC". Often ones negative reaction will provoke a positive action in others.

Thanks for the correction, I didn't notice that :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending