The Student Room Group

Resitting, gap year or clearing

Hi I have just received my results of ABC, A-psychology, B- Economics and C-maths. My insurance and firm was Cardiff and Newcastle both for AAB where they both rejected me. I have done clearing and managed to get offers for BSc Econ at royal Holloway, Surrey and UWE Bristol.
I honestly hoped to do much better than I did, I don't know if I should resit maths to hopefully get an A. I am usually a B grade student at maths as I was 3 marks off the next grade. I am considering resitting Economics as well to hopefully have AAA so I have more options, I aspired going to a good Russel group uni like Exeter or Bristol, Bath, Newcastle etc and I am unsure whether Royal Holloway will give me any career prospects. I am just not sure whether it is worth all the hassle as I am just worried about whether not going to a well ranked uni for Economics will set me back as I want options for banking and economics in the future
Original post by Jasmineb0058
Hi I have just received my results of ABC, A-psychology, B- Economics and C-maths. My insurance and firm was Cardiff and Newcastle both for AAB where they both rejected me. I have done clearing and managed to get offers for BSc Econ at royal Holloway, Surrey and UWE Bristol.
I honestly hoped to do much better than I did, I don't know if I should resit maths to hopefully get an A. I am usually a B grade student at maths as I was 3 marks off the next grade. I am considering resitting Economics as well to hopefully have AAA so I have more options, I aspired going to a good Russel group uni like Exeter or Bristol, Bath, Newcastle etc and I am unsure whether Royal Holloway will give me any career prospects. I am just not sure whether it is worth all the hassle as I am just worried about whether not going to a well ranked uni for Economics will set me back as I want options for banking and economics in the future

you will work at starbucks for eternity

Resitting exams and taking a year out can really serve you if your current uni choices are not meeting your aspirations. Delaying uni by a year is not going to impact you long term.

I think the unis you have offers for are reputable universities. What employers will look for is experience and transferrable skills that are applicable in the workplace. Look at placement opportunities/ internships - these are what make you employable, not the university your degree comes from.

Definitely don't firm a place at a university because you think you should. As you say it is not worth the hassle.
So university in general can give excellent career prospects pretty much wherever you go - if you use your time there effectively, if you are a high achieving student who networks, takes on leadership positions, does volunteering & internships then employers will be interested.

If you want to working specific areas banking such as corporate finance, investment banking, s&t, AM, ER. Then going to a strong reputation university will be a significant weight in breaking through to interview (however these roles are very competitive & from a non-target students need to be applying day 0 of university for spring weeks, strong understanding of markets etc.)

If you are less keen on ‘high finance’ and are happy for a general finance job in a more typical company then university is less important & what i said in my first paragraph is more important.
Hi @Jasmineb0058

Happy to hear you’re considering Surrey.

Studying at Surrey, I don’t see any disadvantage from not being at a Russell Group uni, and I think people only realise that once they actually start university. Our students often go on to work for Big 4 firms, and banks such as J. P. Morgan. Your only barrier is yourself, really, when it comes to job prospects. If you engage enough with your university and employers visiting campus for job fairs, opportunities will come your way in droves.

I think an important factor to consider is location. If you want to focus more on job opportunities, you can only gain from being close to London. Guildford has 30-min links to London from the central train station.

Hope this helps!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc
Mate if you want to go into corporate finance (IBD / Consulting), I highly recommend resitting your exams, aiming for A*AA / AAA and getting into a strong semi-target [Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, KCL and Bath], or a regular semi-target [Exeter, Edinburgh, St Andrews, City Business School].

It's a competitive industry to break into especially at a time like right now where markets aren't doing that well.

You have nothing to lose by taking a year out & resitting. It's not a big deal at all in the grand scheme of things. Firms might even like it if you're able to really turn things around and show them that when you failed, you were able to get up & become stronger - it shows real grit & maturity to be able to turn things around, and firms love perseverance.

Don't study at a university you don't want to be at.

You got this :smile:

If you really had the potential to get at least AAB and stronger unis, I do suggest resitting. Surrey is quite mediocre and a bit bad, royal holloway is great for music but not great for too much else, uwe bristol is honestly crap.

If you were 3 marks off next grade in Y13 you could probably have resat math. To me you should take a year out to resit, maybe aim for A/A* in econ/math. Back then i received BBC and despite all my disruption and circumstances achieved AAB. I think you can achieve more than three grades higher if you set your mind to it.

I think you should get into at least a fine uni like newcastle/cardiff. With B in econ and C in maths, since econ is a mathematical degree, I worry you have significant gaps in your education.

A* means minimal gaps. A you probably have some gaps. B/C you have significant gaps. As uni ramps up quickly it's imperative you have a strong foundation. ABC is not a strong foundation. AAB is a bit borderline, but depends on subject.

I suggest resitting Econ and Math. Aim for at least A, ideally A*. Maybe even A* A* A if you resit. It's idealistic but y'know, you can try. And maybe aim for different unis, learn a new skill/hobby, earn some cash while you do so.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending