The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 1
Paulina92
Hey there,

my parents and I were thinking how to get to St Andrews by car (because of the amount of luggage etc.) We could either drive from Germany (Berlin) or from France (Paris).
Does anyone have any experience with the ferries or the Eurotunnel?

Thanks!

I have been on many ferries and the channel tunnel but ferries are much more entertaining
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Do you know from where the ferries depart?
Reply 3
Paulina92
Do you know from where the ferries depart?

Ostend, Zeebrugge, Le Havre, Dunkerque or mainly Calais.

You can also get the ferry from Amsterdam to Newcastle, and then it's only 130 miles' drive to St Andrews.
Paulina92
Hey there,

my parents and I were thinking how to get to St Andrews by car (because of the amount of luggage etc.) We could either drive from Germany (Berlin) or from France (Paris).

Thanks!

Ferry departs from Calais (northern France), you take the M2, M11 and A1, you then switch over to Carlisle and take the M6, which takes you all the way to Glasgow and from there you're heading north east towards Dundee.

At least, I think that's how I went from France to Glasgow. :smile:
Reply 6
Or, you get the A1 (M) straight to Edinburgh, go around Edinburgh and then follow the local roads to St Andrews.
Reply 7
Stalin
Ferry departs from Calais (northern France), you take the M2, M11 and A1, you then switch over to Carlisle and take the M6, which takes you all the way to Glasgow and from there you're heading north east towards Dundee.

At least, I think that's how I went from France to Glasgow. :smile:

Thanks for that. So do you know how long this would take? Approximately..?
Paulina92
Thanks for that. So do you know how long this would take? Approximately..?

From Calais to St Andrews you've got a full day's worth of driving.
Reply 9

Yeah does it still run i thought the company went out of business ?
Reply 10
Polyraptor
Yeah does it still run i thought the company went out of business ?

Afaik it still runs
Reply 11
Paulina92
Hey there,

Thanks!

Ferries have better view:smile:
Tunnels sucks!:mad:
Reply 12
To be honest with you, I would not recommend driving all the way from Berlin to St. Andrews (I was considering it!). It is time consuming (even more so if you miss the ferry), very stressful and expensive. And bear in mind you can only do 100km/h on UK highways (no unlimited speed zones :frown: ).

Here's a suggestion: fly to EDI with your parents and let them check in your additional luggage (1x suitcase + 1x carry-on luggage + 1x laptop bag per person). From EDI you could either take the airport shuttle or rent a car (although I'm sure it'd be quite confusing with driving on the wrong side :biggrin: ). I would also recommend flying with British Airways, as they allow your suitcase to weigh 23kg and they only make you pay like 30-40 Euro for a suitcase that weighs 32kg or less. However, don't mention that your suitcase is heavier than 23kg at the check in - they didn't make me pay on numerous occasions :biggrin:

As I said, just a suggestion!
Reply 13
CATIII
To be honest with you, I would not recommend driving all the way from Berlin to St. Andrews (I was considering it!). It is time consuming (even more so if you miss the ferry), very stressful and expensive. And bear in mind you can only do 100km/h on UK highways (no unlimited speed zones :frown: ).

Here's a suggestion: fly to EDI with your parents and let them check in your additional luggage (1x suitcase + 1x carry-on luggage + 1x laptop bag per person). From EDI you could either take the airport shuttle or rent a car (although I'm sure it'd be quite confusing with driving on the wrong side :biggrin: ). I would also recommend flying with British Airways, as they allow your suitcase to weigh 23kg and they only make you pay like 30-40 Euro for a suitcase that weighs 32kg or less. However, don't mention that your suitcase is heavier than 23kg at the check in - they didn't make me pay on numerous occasions :biggrin:

As I said, just a suggestion!

Hey, thanks for that but we already found a way. We're going to drive to Zeebrugge from Berlin then get on the ferry and then Rosyth (not far away from Edi, I believe) We already got the tickets :wink:

So, you're from Berlin too?!
Reply 14
Paulina, it's been on the news here that the ferry to Rosyth will close on 15th December 2010 so if your parents ever want to come visit you, they will have to go by a different route.
Reply 15
Delaney
Paulina, it's been on the news here that the ferry to Rosyth will close on 15th December 2010 so if your parents ever want to come visit you, they will have to go by a different route.

Thanks for that. But no worries, it's just to get all my stuff to university. Otherwise, both me and my parents will fly from Edinburgh to Berlin/Paris. :-)

Latest

Trending

Trending