The Student Room Group

Do I need to take physics to apply for engineering?

So I start yr 12, the problem is I have no idea what I want to do when I'm older. I have a wide range of interests, so I've taken chemistry, biology (for medicine), maths, and english literature (to keep my options open instead of taking all science and maths)

I was considering engineering aswell, but I dropped physics for english lit.
Now I am wondering if I DO decide to look at engineering, would Maths and one AS in further maths (Mechanics) be enough for me to apply to universities, and have a good choice of universities? Lets say I got A/A*s in maths and mechanics module 1, would I need physics to apply for engineering? Or does not taking physics limit the number of universities I can apply to?

Thank you
Reply 1
IMO it depends on the type of engineering you're looking at.

I think for courses like Civil Engineering, more emphasis is on Maths and the mechanics module in particular and Physics is just preferred in addition but is by no means necessary. While with Electronic and Electrical Engineering, a fair amount of circuits and relevant information is covered in Physics so might be more helpful with your application for that course.

Mechanical/Aeronautical Engineering I would think will be somewhere in between.

Hope I could help :smile:
Reply 2
Dependson the uni as well. In general though, it's a safe bet to assume they'll want physics. Failing that, you should email them and ask if they'd be willing to accept Maths and FM with a few modules of mechanics in (probably about 3)...
hmm ok thank you for your help both of you :smile:
I was thinking of aeronautical engineering. def not electrical for me :tongue:
Aeronautical engineering is something that interests me.. having said that, I can't imagine there is a huge need for aerospace engineers right? :P
ty
Reply 5
pinkstormtrooper
Aeronautical engineering is something that interests me.. having said that, I can't imagine there is a huge need for aerospace engineers right? :P
ty

If you graduate from a good University with a good mark in your degree I would imagine you would be very well placed to find a job.

In the UK we have BAE, Airbus, Rolls Royce and a multitude of other aerospace companies that employ graduates.
(to keep my options open instead of taking all science and maths)

False economy.
Reply 7
Exchange physics for English, you seem like a very sciency person and I don't see what benefit you'll gain from English, maybe you enjoy it but depends what you want from a degree I guess.
Reply 8
ekul

I think for courses like Civil Engineering, more emphasis is on Maths and the mechanics module in particular and Physics is just preferred in addition but is by no means necessary. While with Electronic and Electrical Engineering, a fair amount of circuits and relevant information is covered in Physics so might be more helpful with your application for that course.

How do you know this when you aren't even in University?
Reply 9
pinkstormtrooper
ty

You don't even have to become an aerospace engineer when you graduate with a degree in it. You could go into research, teach, banking, finance, commerce. The list is virtually endless.
Reply 10
Brainss
How do you know this when you aren't even in University?

Did you not see the 'I think...'?
Reply 11
ekul
Did you not see the 'I think...'?

Well you're wrong.
Reply 12
Brainss
Well you're wrong.

Well you could be a little more polite about it and not be so blunt.

It's not as if I'm incompetent to give advice on subjects such as these, I am applying to do Civil. I just said what I thought was correct, to be honest I don't think it's far from the truth, you just like to have a dig for the sake of it.

Sorry OP.
Reply 13
ekul
Well you could be a little more polite about it and not be so blunt.

It's not as if I'm incompetent to give advice on subjects such as these, I am applying to do Civil. I just said what I thought was correct, to be honest I don't think it's far from the truth, you just like to have a dig for the sake of it.

Sorry OP.

The purpose of this thread is to give the OP advice. It is entirely wrong to claim that Civil Engineering entails little Physics, when in fact it is quite the opposite. As I have said before, many universities don't require A-level Physics but the top ones do, and it is strongly recommended anyway. Physics isn't as essential as Maths, because the level of physics in Civil Engineering isn't very deep, but it exists in virtually every module that you do in a Civil Engineering degree.

You don't think you're far from the truth? What do you mean? You still reckon Physics isn't prevalent in a Civil Engineering degree even to some extent? No you are wrong. And I couldn't care less if you're a Civil Engineering applicant. Your knowledge of Civil Engineering is very superficial.

I'm a second year Civil Engineering student, hopefully the OP will find my response more credible.
Reply 14
ekul

I agree with this post (EDIT: He's not saying that there is no physics in civil engineering... I don't know where the poster above me got that form...)

I'm currently doing Mechanical Engineering at Birmingham University, I didn't do Physics at AS or A level.

IMO, Engineering is very maths based, In first year, the lecturers go through all of the AS/A level maths and physics you need for each module anyway.

Looking at OP's choices, maybe have a look at chemical engineering and biomedical engineering as well...

English lit seems a bit of a random choice with the others... just saying
So is it fine if I dont take physics in as or a level if I want to be a mechanical engineer? I really dont understand physics but I want to be an engineer. Will I get admitted in unis in Canada as engineer if I dont take physics in as ir a level?
Reply 16
Original post by Marianna 2
So is it fine if I dont take physics in as or a level if I want to be a mechanical engineer? I really dont understand physics but I want to be an engineer. Will I get admitted in unis in Canada as engineer if I dont take physics in as ir a level?

For Mechanical Engineering, I'm sure you'll have to take Physics.

Quick Reply

Latest