The Student Room Group

As a grad student, should I live in college housing or private accommodation?

Hi everyone,

I'm doing an MSc in Computer Science at Oxford, I'm at Kellogg College. I was on the waiting list for housing, and they just offered me a spot (9-10 Bradmore Road). I can't decide if I want to take this place or find a place privately. Their place has are 15 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, and 3 kitchens in the house, but there are no photos of the inside ("the building is part way through a refurbishment programme and is not finished to the same high standard as other Kellogg properties and this is reflected in the level of rent charged") and I can't tell if it would be hectic and unpleasant like a dormitory, or if would be just like a very large house.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on living in a place like this? They're offering it me at £440/month including everything, and it has a reasonable location, but I can get similar price and location privately. I'm almost leaning towards finding a (shared) place privately, because then at least I'd have some idea of who I'd be living with and I could see photos of the house (I'm an international student and not in the UK yet, but Kellogg wants me to decide if I want their housing by tomorrow).

Since Kellogg is graduate only, has mostly mature part-time students, and doesn't really have much of a "campus," it's not like living in college would allow me to be closer with the college socially (though that's something I'd like); as far as I can tell I think it's more just a house that Kellogg happens to own. Taking it certainly would be the easiest option, but since I don't know what the place is like and it might be irritating (or wonderful?) living with 14 other people that I can't know anything about beforehand, I can't decide which to go for. I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone might have!

Thanks!
Reply 1
I went for college... I think it will be a lot better socially!
In terms of meeting other people, I'd say living in College would be better.
Reply 3
Given the fact that Kellog college mainly has mature, part-time students and it is not like living in college with make a significant difference in so far as meeting people is concerned, I would go for private accommodation, simply because I prefer to know who and in what accommodation I will be living with.
So sad! The poor chap chose Oxford over Imperial because of the social experience and ended up at Kellogg, the ghost-town College. LOL!
Reply 5
Really? You created an account ("tobekYouGotPwned") and read all my threads (this one doesn't mention Imperial) just to tell me that?

Of course, you're somewhat right, though there is a little core community of full-time students at Kellogg which is pretty cool, has some solidarity, and does a lot of stuff. I probably would have preferred another college, but I enjoyed myself and enjoyed Oxford, made a few lasting friends, and met someone with whom I started a company, so all was good.
Closer to the MCR at least, no?
Original post by tobek
Really? You created an account ("tobekYouGotPwned") and read all my threads (this one doesn't mention Imperial) just to tell me that?

Of course, you're somewhat right, though there is a little core community of full-time students at Kellogg which is pretty cool, has some solidarity, and does a lot of stuff. I probably would have preferred another college, but I enjoyed myself and enjoyed Oxford, made a few lasting friends, and met someone with whom I started a company, so all was good.

I honestly feel that Kellogg is one of the best Colleges at Oxford University, not to mention that it's already recognised by most students as the de facto postgraduate College of choice. Kellogg is improving incredibly fast, I can't imagine how much better it will be in a few years' time. I'm incredibly excited by Kellogg's future. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending