The Student Room Group

University Accomodation

Hi,
I have a choice between university accomodation and private student accomodation, and I don't know which one to choose. The university accomodation is cheaper and has better social life while the private accomodation has better facilities and an en-suite bathroom.
Any advice would be helpful.
Thank you!!
Original post by SPHYS
Hi,
I have a choice between university accomodation and private student accomodation, and I don't know which one to choose. The university accomodation is cheaper and has better social life while the private accomodation has better facilities and an en-suite bathroom.
Thank you!!

Hi there @SPHYS !
I always think in first year the best thing you can do is go into university accommodation. It's the best way to meet new people as you're all in the same boat and can go through things together. It's better to do it that way and try it for a year and then if you would prefer living privately after that then that's a discussion for second year. I just think in first year especially, you've got to give yourself the best chance of meeting people and setting yourself up for the next three years or so. There's so many experiences and memories you'll only get by trying out student accommodation. I think living privately is something that should wait until second year but that's completely your choice. Half of the experiences in student accommodation is living in those stereotypical student conditions. They're not supposed to be penthouse hotel stays and it's something everyone should experience once. It's like camping at a festival for the first time only it's less gross and it lasts a full year. Give it a try and then come second year if you fancy it, go into private accommodation.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
@SPHYS

How many people would you be sharing with in student accommodation?
How far is the private accommodation from the university?

It depends on your personality and what would make you feel most comfortable. If you are someone who does get annoyed when an area is left in a mess and want more space for things in the kitchen and the luxury of having your own bathroom then it might be an idea to go for private accommodation (if it's not too expensive and not too far from the uni).

If you can tolerate some mess and you are quite easy going in general about most things, then maybe student accommodation is fine, especially if you are worried about getting to know people.

It really does depend on your preferences.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Hi there!

I would agree that going into the Universities own halls is the best option for the first year. That way you know you will all be studying at that University, and be in first year, therefore you have lots in common with the other residents! There is lots of support available in the halls, and they often put on social events all through the year! In the following years then you can move in another type of accommodation.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Reply 4
Original post by University of Huddersfield
@SPHYS

How many people would you be sharing with in student accommodation?
How far is the private accommodation from the university?

Thank you for your reply! Around 10-12 people in uni accommodation, and 6 in the private accomodation. Both are exclusively for students, but the private one has better facilties and the uni one has a better social scene. It's a 40 minute walk to the uni but very close the city centre, while the uni accomodation is 25 min walk to uni and 30 min walk to the city centre. I am leaning more towards the private student accomodation.
Original post by SPHYS
Hi,
Thank you!!

Hi there,
I'd recommend considering what is important to you. For example, although the university accommodation may be cheaper, the private accommodation having additional facilities and the ensuite may be better value for money - if these things are important to you! I'd also say that private accommodation (or at least us) are big on hosting events and activities in their facilities, which makes them quite social and helps you get to know other residents.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
No brainer, halls.
Original post by SPHYS
Thank you for your reply! Around 10-12 people in uni accommodation, and 6 in the private accomodation. Both are exclusively for students, but the private one has better facilties and the uni one has a better social scene. It's a 40 minute walk to the uni but very close the city centre, while the uni accomodation is 25 min walk to uni and 30 min walk to the city centre. I am leaning more towards the private student accomodation.

@SPHYS
Sorry, I have just seen your reply.

You may find it easier sharing with less people and there is not that much difference in the commute, so it might be an idea to opt for the private accommodation, as you will still be sharing with students and the facilities are better and you will be close to the city centre which is handy.

When it comes to the social scene, you can still go to socials runs by different societies and the university.

There's no reason for you to miss out!

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by SPHYS
Hi,
Thank you!!

Hello,

I'd be pleased to offer some helpful guidance as a student ambassador who has direct experience with university housing. There are several aspects to consider while deciding between university housing and private student housing.

Accommodation at the University: It's fantastic that university housing is less expensive. Affordability is a significant consideration, especially if you have a limited budget or wish to save money for other expenses during your university years. University housing frequently provides a dynamic social atmosphere. Living with other students might make it simpler to meet new people, create friends, and engage in activities organised inside the residence or on campus. It's a terrific opportunity to form a solid support network.

Private Student Accommodation: Private student housing often has nicer facilities, and having an en-suite bathroom can be very useful. It gives you more solitude and eliminates the need for you to use communal amenities with others.

The decision between university and private student housing is based on your particular preferences and priorities. Consider what is most important to you during your academic experience.

If you appreciate a vibrant social life and want to immerse yourself in a community of other students, university housing may be the best option for you. Affordability is also a key benefit, since it allows you to allocate your budget to other important items. Private student accommodation, on the other hand, may be a better option if you require more modern amenities and the seclusion of an en-suite toilet. It may be slightly more expensive, but the extra comfort and convenience may be worth it for you.

Finally, remember that whichever housing option you choose, university life is what you make of it. Regardless of where you reside, you may create an enriching and delightful experience with the correct mindset and active participation in campus events.

I would also suggest contacting existing students or the university's housing office for further information and insights particular to your institution. They can provide extra information and assist you in making an informed decision depending on your circumstances.

Good luck with your selection, and enjoy your time at university regardless of which housing you choose!

I hope this is helpful.
Kind regards,
Mrunali Kalbhor,
University of Sunderland Student ambassador
Original post by SPHYS
Hi,
Thank you!!

Hi there :smile:

It is completely up to you where you would prefer living at uni. From my experience I would say the living on campus for your first year is better as it exposes you to a larger pool of people. I have met some of my closest friends at uni through sharing accommodation. I have also lived in private accommodation and whilst I prefer it for my final year, I am very glad that I lived in student accommodation for the first few years of my course. Remember that you will be living at university for longer periods of time so its always nice to be surrounded by others who are going through the same experience. Uni can be tricky and times and its nice to have a support system if you ever feel lovely or need someone to talk to. Hope this helps a bit

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep
Original post by SPHYS
Hi,
Thank you!!

Hi there,

Everyone has different experiences in both! I was in university accommodation in my first year and enjoyed it, but some people were in private and loved that it wasn't on campus and had other people in it. I think it depends what you want from the accommodation, if you are looking for more of the typical student life the university one is probably better, but if you are wanting more of a quiet flat or something abit more out of the way you may prefer private.

Ellen
Y3 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador
Original post by SPHYS
Hi,
Thank you!!

Hi there,

Are you able to afford the private student accommodation? If yes, then go for it. Although, if you are in your first year, a university accommodation would be a wiser option; it's cheaper, offers more support, see other university students, get news faster and you adapt quicker. If you don't like it when you in are in your 2nd year, you can switch to a private accommodation, they still treat you like a student, it's just pricier and has stricter rules to follow but they're are better facilities and more privacy, there are also quite a number of students in private accommodation. Uni accommodation doesn't necessarily mean a better social life, as long as you have good flat mates, you'd enjoy your experience in either place. Also, check the location of both places and distance to different things like transport, shops, uni etc. To conclude, just go for what suits you better.

Benedicta
Digital Ambassador-UoS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending