The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm at Durham University, I don't do History or Politics but my top GCSE grades were 5 Cs. The rest is personal.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
redpanda41
I want to apply for BA Geography and I'm predicted AAA in English Lit, History and Geography

I have A*A*AAAABBB GCSEs, do you think this would this hinder my application?

No.
Reply 22
hi... i got pretty good ALevels results.. A* B B C and A D in 2 extra ASlevels.. i am on a gap year now and want to apply to durham to study marketing or human resource management, but they want a C in gcse maths which i didnt get.. i retook it last year and got an E..i have tried loas of other unis and they want at least a C.. what do i do? maths has never been my strong point and i really really want to get unconditionals this year..is there an equivalent i can take?:s-smilie:
tianaluvsu
hi... i got pretty good ALevels results.. A* B B C and A D in 2 extra ASlevels.. i am on a gap year now and want to apply to durham to study marketing or human resource management, but they want a C in gcse maths which i didnt get.. i retook it last year and got an E..i have tried loas of other unis and they want at least a C.. what do i do? maths has never been my strong point and i really really want to get unconditionals this year..is there an equivalent i can take?:s-smilie:

Durham don't do Marketing or HR do they? Just a general business degree.
my mistake, they do offer a Marketing degree from this year!

However no HR degree.

Ring them up and ask - but be aware that even if they did let you in with a C, you would probably struggle with some modules as they'll have a maths element.

"GCSE: if you have not studied mathematics beyond GCSE (or its equivalent) we require you to have achieved at least a grade B at GCSE. Additionally, you must be prepared to develop your mathematical skills and knowledge"

http://www.dur.ac.uk/dbs/degrees/undergrad/business/applying/entry-reqs/
(edited 13 years ago)
seems like it really depends what course you are looking at. History, English, Law, Economics- these are the courses likely to be applied and filled by the oxbridge refuse- so average GCSE standards are bumped up.
Reply 26
How heavily subscribed is politics?
GCSEs (name subjects if you got an A*): 6 A*'s, 5 A's, A* were in English Lang, English Lit, Media, Drama and Double Science.
AS: AAABB
A2: AAB
Mitigating circumstances (if applicable): none.
Course: BA Philosophy

I think my GCSE's may have had something to do with it, as Philosophy usually want AAA, although my B was in A Level Physics.
Reply 28
SoulSparkle
GCSEs (name subjects if you got an A*): 6 A*'s, 5 A's, A* were in English Lang, English Lit, Media, Drama and Double Science.
AS: AAABB
A2: AAB
Mitigating circumstances (if applicable): none.
Course: BA Philosophy

I think my GCSE's may have had something to do with it, as Philosophy usually want AAA, although my B was in A Level Physics.
This is a thread for poor GCSEs...
JCC-MGS
This is a thread for poor GCSEs...

I'm just saying that it might be evidence for using GCSE's as a filter.

Latest