Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any unis that offer low grades for a biomedical degree.

ReputationRep:
    Define low. Not saying I know but low is objective

ReputationRep:
    brunel BBC...
    kingston 200-280 points....biolodgy D
    westminster -CCD -CC from 2 science subjects

ReputationRep:
    How low are you speaking?

ReputationRep:
    Hertfordshire 240 points, which is equivalent to CCC

ReputationRep:
    i got reading for medical microbiology for bcc and its a very similar course
    if not, the nottingham trent, kingston, surrey and essex are always very attainable
    basicly my choices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    How low are you speaking?
    BBB -CCD

i want to make sure i get offers

Also if i go to a lower ranking uni, will i be able to work in the city/graduate route to med?

ReputationRep:
    OP what are your predicted grades?

Lets say for example you are predicted BBC
    Go for a mix like:
    1 x ABB
    1 x BBB
    2 x BBC
    1 x BCC or CCC as a backup

Also if i go to a lower ranking uni, will i be able to work in the city/graduate route to med?
    That question stinks of "I want a well paying job and I don't care what I do." In the city much harder without further courses at a more prestigious uni. Medicine - do you really want to or just think it sounds good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by js374)
    OP what are your predicted grades?

Lets say for example you are predicted BBC
    Go for a mix like:
    1 x ABB
    1 x BBB
    2 x BBC
    1 x BCC or CCC as a backup

That question stinks of "I want a well paying job and I don't care what I do." In the city much harder without further courses at a more prestigious uni. Medicine - do you really want to or just think it sounds good?
    AB?

i want to be a consultant

what if i get a first (thnking too far ahead lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyn_08)
    AB?

i want to be a consultant

what if i get a first (thnking too far ahead lol)
    If you get a first in an accredited course then you have a good chance of getting into most unis for a masters. Grad med is very competitive so is tricky but definitely possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by js374)
    If you get a first in an accredited course then you have a good chance of getting into most unis for a masters. Grad med is very competitive so is tricky but definitely possible.
    Most Russell Group and red brick universities that offer Biomedical Science, are not accredited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princes)
    Most Russell Group and red brick universities that offer Biomedical Science, are not accredited.
    Really? I stand corrected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by js374)
    Really? I stand corrected.
    Biomedical Science = not accredited
    Biomedical Sciences = accredited

... generally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princes)
    Biomedical Science = not accredited
    Biomedical Sciences = accredited

... generally.

Wow. Just had a look on UCAS. Of the 229 Biomedical Science courses, only 26 are professionally accredited. Do you know why they are so few and far between?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by js374)
    Wow. Just had a look on UCAS. Of the 229 Biomedical Science courses, only 26 are professionally accredited. Do you know why they are so few and far between?
    Depends on the instituion whether they wish to be accredited or not. Accredited courses tend to be more lab based, whereas the russell group unis such as KCL, Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle etc that aren't focus more on research.

ReputationRep:
    accredited also mean you can work in an NHS lab straight away as you are a registered scientist. not accredited means you have to do top up courses and then apply for registration as a biomedical scientist.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.