The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Mr_Deeds
I think that's the picture at every university up and down the country. Places were definitely at a premium this year :frown:! Still, QM have definitely made massive progress in recent times and you'd be splitting hairs in trying to distinguish it from the other top law schools. :smile:

Yeah most probably! I've come to notice from my two weeks here that it really doesn't matter what university you graduate from provided it is in the top half of the universities in the UK; the most decisive factor in gaining pupilage/TC is the applicant themselves! I don't think this view is something people believe until they get to university, but it's clear that there isn't 100 students from one university migrating to Clifford Chance every year, it's a small proportion from varying universities who are in the end successful with MC TCs, the best few candidates from any given university, and every university will have top notch candidates!
Reply 41
Jakko247
Yeah most probably! I've come to notice from my two weeks here that it really doesn't matter what university you graduate from provided it is in the top half of the universities in the UK; the most decisive factor in gaining pupilage/TC is the applicant themselves! I don't think this view is something people believe until they get to university, but it's clear that there isn't 100 students from one university migrating to Clifford Chance every year, it's a small proportion from varying universities who are in the end successful with MC TCs, the best few candidates from any given university, and every university will have top notch candidates!

Probably one of the more accurate statements in the law forum at the moment.

You do tend to find that city firms/chambers recruit more heavily from certain universities but that's because, at a very general level, the better candidates tend, naturally, to go to the top schools. About 80% of the vac schemers at A&O from my intake came from some of the "typical" universities but there were also students from York, Leeds and Exeter, for example, who were equally impressive. :smile:
Reply 42
Mr_Deeds
Probably one of the more accurate statements in the law forum at the moment.

You do tend to find that city firms/chambers recruit more heavily from certain universities but that's because, at a very general level, the better candidates tend, naturally, to go to the top schools. About 80% of the vac schemers at A&O from my intake came from some of the "typical" universities but there were also students from York, Leeds and Exeter, for example, who were equally impressive. :smile:

I've just come to realise how much work is actually involved with this law degree haha!
Got my precedence tutorial on wednesday! I hope that goes better than the statutory interpretation one :<
Reply 43
Jakko247
I've just come to realise how much work is actually involved with this law degree haha!
Got my precedence tutorial on wednesday! I hope that goes better than the statutory interpretation one :<

QMUL has started already? We have Week zero tomorrow and Week one next week, at Bristol
Reply 44
vnupe
QMUL has started already? We have Week zero tomorrow and Week one next week, at Bristol

Yeah, our foundation course started last week!
We start the real course tomorrow :smile:
Reply 45
vnupe

Yeah we (qm people) moved in on the 18th, did foundation from the 27th for the first week and then started yesterday with our proper lectures. I have already found myself spending hours in the library which was a massive surprise. I thought I would at least get a few weeks of easy going :frown:
Reply 46
jmat
Yeah we (qm people) moved in on the 18th, did foundation from the 27th for the first week and then started yesterday with our proper lectures. I have already found myself spending hours in the library which was a massive surprise. I thought I would at least get a few weeks of easy going :frown:

I hear you, this is week 0 (introduction week) for us, and next week we start properly... And already they are throwing stuff (information) at us, which wwe have to figure out for ourselves... It will be interesting :smile:
Reply 47
Focus08
Are you liking it so far?

Yeah so far, but no classes yet, so hard to really get a grip on how things are going to be... but we have your first class on Friday and it is a two hour one, so it should be interesting... I am getting a portable handheld scanner so I can scan texts and papers, download them to my computer and then print, review, and highlight them at my own discretion...
Reply 48
Mr_Deeds
I think that's the picture at every university up and down the country. Places were definitely at a premium this year :frown:! Still, QM have definitely made massive progress in recent times and you'd be splitting hairs in trying to distinguish it from the other top law schools. :smile:

Definitely, I've been at QM doing law as an undergraduate and then masters for four years and I'm also doing a PhD at QM - can't leave! It seems to have rocketed since 2006.
Reply 49
LawQueen
Definitely, I've been at QM doing law as an undergraduate and then masters for four years and I'm also doing a PhD at QM - can't leave! It seems to have rocketed since 2006.

We have a lecturer in property law that teaches both at QM and UCL and he said there's no difference in the quality of students nowadays, there used to be a stark difference 20 years ago, but now there's no difference at all he said :smile:
Reply 50
Focus08
421 vs 497 UCAS points is no difference at all. You're right..

Yes, that extra D in A-level Media makes all those UCL law students considerably more superior :p:! /Joker.
Reply 51
Focus08
421 vs 497 UCAS points is no difference at all. You're right..

I think he's in a better situation to comment than you, having experienced both universities!

He also said KCL was a bad environment and he didn't enjoy teaching there! (and reading back this could sound like I meant UCL, but no, he has also taught at KCL :smile: )

He's quite old, I'd say about 70s and he was previous to his academic roles, a solicitor.

Nice guy :smile:

Also, having 80 more UCAS points than another student, means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. It certainly isn't indicative of a higher quality of student, but someone who has taken music lessons and gained a high qualification in that, or has some an additional subject and for all you know, got a D in it.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending