The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

St John's College DURHAM

Hey all

Anybody else applied to St John's?? or at St John's?

I think it looks awesome but thats just me. I am sure its not everyones cuppa.

Scroll to see replies

i really like johns but not the idea of sharing a room which seems pretty likely there...bit of a bummer..
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I've applied for chemistry at St. Johns, I liked the feel of it, but also the whole christian ethos that St. John's seems to have, although I have to admit that may put some people off.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Applying for English and Philosophy at St. John's. Good luck everyone.
Reply 4
I did... last year.
Reply 5
Original post by hayley22
Applying for English and Philosophy at St. John's. Good luck everyone.

Hey iv applied for English at johns

and Kent e/a literature so may see you hopefully at Durham
Reply 6
Original post by moomin-matt
Hey iv applied for English at johns

and Kent e/a literature so may see you hopefully at Durham

Eek that's definitely a 'hopefully'. For me, of course. This is my second time doing UCAS so I'm terrified about my application.

I was re-checking the Durham prospectus last night, and realised that St. John's is really close to the English department. I didn't even pick the college for this reason, but it's a bonus!
Reply 7
Eek that's definitely a 'hopefully'. For me, of course. This is my second time doing UCAS so I'm terrified about my application.

I was re-checking the Durham prospectus last night, and realised that St. John's is really close to the English department. I didn't even pick the college for this reason, but it's a bonus!

I'm very doubtful of gettin in, havnt got the grades but I'm technically mature, so hoping they may interview me. I'm sure you will get in. Why you choose johns
Reply 8
Original post by moomin-matt
I'm very doubtful of gettin in, havnt got the grades but I'm technically mature, so hoping they may interview me. I'm sure you will get in. Why you choose johns

I wanted a traditional college, so I took out the ones that weren't gowned; didn't have so many traditions first. Then I took a look at all of the older colleges like St. Mary's, St. Chad's, Hatfield etc. and came down to University and St. John's.

I figured that St. John's would be more likely to take me than University; I also like the location and the links with the Christian church.
Reply 9
I wanted a traditional college, so I took out the ones that weren't gowned; didn't have so many traditions first. Then I took a look at all of the older colleges like St. Mary's, St. Chad's, Hatfield etc. and came down to University and St. John's.

I figured that St. John's would be more likely to take me than University; I also like the location and the links with the Christian church.

Why not Hatfield? :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Melanie-v
Why not Hatfield? :smile:

Hmm not too sure haha. Are you a Hatfielder? I think I preferred the look of St. Johns. Things that I hear are important to Hatfield ie. sports don't really matter to me either.
Reply 11

I am exactly the same! Hatfield for me from what my friend (who was at Durham and worked there) didn't seem my cuppa. Quite 'rah' and rugger-ish. Plus johns is good at theatre. Plus it's beautiful. My only concern is my friend said during his time at Durham johns was having a homophobic spell, but sure thats just individuals rather than college.
Wow, a lot (relatively) of applicants this year! I'm at John's so any questions feel free...
Reply 13
Original post by maybeshescrazy
Wow, a lot (relatively) of applicants this year! I'm at John's so any questions feel free...

Excellent! I've got a couple of questions for you, or anyone else for that matter...

I'm strongly considering applying to St John's for an MA starting next year - I was wondering whether you knew if postgrads and undergrads are more integrated than some other colleges I was looking at. Others prefer to stuff us off in our own (usually self-catered) isolated accommodation blocks, but I'm not sure this is for me. From what I've gathered all John's accommodation is in John's Hall and open to under- and post- grads - is this the case? Also, what would you say the relationship between under- and post- grads is? With such a small college I don't want to be limited in making friends.

Also, the more predictable question of faith; I was raised Protestant, but I'm an agnostic. I'm also bisexual. I'm concerned there might be some real hard-core Christians who are more close-minded towards the LGBT community and intolerant of other beliefs. Is this the case? St John's looks beautiful, and the drama and music opportunities strongly appeal to me. I'd hate to have to cross it off my list.

Thanks, and sorry for the essay!
Original post by popcornfan
Excellent! I've got a couple of questions for you, or anyone else for that matter...

I'm strongly considering applying to St John's for an MA starting next year - I was wondering whether you knew if postgrads and undergrads are more integrated than some other colleges I was looking at. Others prefer to stuff us off in our own (usually self-catered) isolated accommodation blocks, but I'm not sure this is for me. From what I've gathered all John's accommodation is in John's Hall and open to under- and post- grads - is this the case? Also, what would you say the relationship between under- and post- grads is? With such a small college I don't want to be limited in making friends.

Also, the more predictable question of faith; I was raised Protestant, but I'm an agnostic. I'm also bisexual. I'm concerned there might be some real hard-core Christians who are more close-minded towards the LGBT community and intolerant of other beliefs. Is this the case? St John's looks beautiful, and the drama and music opportunities strongly appeal to me. I'd hate to have to cross it off my list.

Thanks, and sorry for the essay!

I have no idea about other colleges, but I've really found it integrated here. I've been here a month and already I've made friends with a few postgrads - I wouldn't say that the size limits the amount of friends you make, rather that it encourages it. Everybody is really friendly regardless of age or year. It helps if you join a lot of societies too, but I'd say that as long as you eat in, you'll meet and make friends with most of the college eventually.

As for the faith thing I'd say that the only thing which makes John's different to other colleges is the slightly higher percentage of people who are going to church every Sunday. I've not experienced any intolerance towards gay people here.
Reply 15
Ah, I see. Thanks very much maybeshescrazy, that's great to hear. Looks like I'm applying to St John's this year... :smile:
Reply 16
I've applied to St John's for law :smile:
Reply 17
Feelin the Johns love.
Reply 18
Can I just ask two more quick questions? They're rather trivial...what's the food like, and how often are there formals? Thanks. :smile:
Original post by popcornfan
Can I just ask two more quick questions? They're rather trivial...what's the food like, and how often are there formals? Thanks. :smile:

from what i have heard Johns has the best food oh all the colleges :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest