The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL Postgrad Thread - 2011 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
PS, I have a conditional...condition is: verbatim: "formal notification of an upper second class honours or equivalent in your current degree"

Problem is: it doesnt say how to provide them this information.

What counts as a formal notification? I read the offer multiple times but couldn't get any further clarification :frown: Any help would be appreciated
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 201
They are way close. You could kick it with your homies at IC easy.
Got my conditional offer (IELTS 7.0) for MA in American Studies last week. King's would be amazing, but the cost is making me consider taking up a place in Manchester instead (unconditional). Reading the excited postings on this thread has re-upped my excitement for KCL though!
Reply 203
Hi guys,

I applied to King's like 2 or 3 weeks ago for the MA in International Relations, so still waiting for the reply.
I guess I'll need to wait at least for another month..right?:/
Reply 204
Original post by itasammy
Hi guys,

I applied to King's like 2 or 3 weeks ago for the MA in International Relations, so still waiting for the reply.
I guess I'll need to wait at least for another month..right?:/

It varies from department to department.

In my case, it took 3.5 months. In my wife's case, 2 months after submitting her application, she was told the course would not be offered because they lacked the numbers, and suggested she transfer her application to a similar one. She did, and got an offer within 2-3 days!

I think the average wait is 6-8 weeks.
Reply 205
Original post by ultimax
It varies from department to department.

In my case, it took 3.5 months. In my wife's case, 2 months after submitting her application, she was told the course would not be offered because they lacked the numbers, and suggested she transfer her application to a similar one. She did, and got an offer within 2-3 days!

I think the average wait is 6-8 weeks.

Thank's for your answer!! By the way...wow they take sooooooo long...O.O how many applicants do they have per place? I applied to the department of war studies and I'm aware it is a really competitive department, but I'm giving it a shot. I do have what they require in terms of grades and all, but I do understand that a looooot of people apply there

do you mind if I ask you whether you have a first class honours degree or an upper second honours degree?
Reply 206
Thank's for your answer!! By the way...wow they take sooooooo long...O.O how many applicants do they have per place? I applied to the department of war studies and I'm aware it is a really competitive department, but I'm giving it a shot. I do have what they require in terms of grades and all, but I do understand that a looooot of people apply there

do you mind if I ask you whether you have a first class honours degree or an upper second honours degree?

No problem, don't mind you asking - I've got a second upper honours degree.

If you read the blurb on the "admissions process", it says different departments have different ways of selecting applications. Some collect a pool of applications first, before reviewing them against each other. This obviously will take some time. Others assess applications as and when they come in, and decide based on the merits of each application. In this case, the earlier you apply, the better a chance you being admitted. I suspect departments use a hybrid system of both. Regardless, it's hard to tell applicants how long the selection process takes because of the factors involved.

Another issue is a crunch on the admin side of things. My impression is the admin staff are trying their best to keep up with things, but with so many parties involved in the selection process, things may slow down a little. It's the nature of bureaucracies, I think. I'm also not sure if KCL has been affected by funding cuts which has reduced the number of administrators. A friend who was seeking admission to another big-name UK university said he was surprised to find out that the admissions officer he was corresponding with did double-duty for another department. She'd spend half the week in one, and the other half in another. My friend would get lots of "out-of-office" automated replies!

I think it's reasonable to check with KCL on the status of your application about 8 weeks after you've submitted it. Hopefully they would have gotten back to you before then. But if not, just ask. :smile:
Reply 207
SO I just discovered this!
Applied for a MA in Terrorism Security and Society on Feb 1st and got back from them two weeks ago. Am positively excited!
Still have to figure out funding and the likes - btw has anyone heard from scholarships if they applied? I read somewhere they wouldn't let us know until the end of May, but still curious.
Anyway *hopefully* I'll get to see you all in September!:smile:
Reply 208
Original post by ultimax
No problem, don't mind you asking - I've got a second upper honours degree.

If you read the blurb on the "admissions process", it says different departments have different ways of selecting applications. Some collect a pool of applications first, before reviewing them against each other. This obviously will take some time. Others assess applications as and when they come in, and decide based on the merits of each application. In this case, the earlier you apply, the better a chance you being admitted. I suspect departments use a hybrid system of both. Regardless, it's hard to tell applicants how long the selection process takes because of the factors involved.

Another issue is a crunch on the admin side of things. My impression is the admin staff are trying their best to keep up with things, but with so many parties involved in the selection process, things may slow down a little. It's the nature of bureaucracies, I think. I'm also not sure if KCL has been affected by funding cuts which has reduced the number of administrators. A friend who was seeking admission to another big-name UK university said he was surprised to find out that the admissions officer he was corresponding with did double-duty for another department. She'd spend half the week in one, and the other half in another. My friend would get lots of "out-of-office" automated replies!

I think it's reasonable to check with KCL on the status of your application about 8 weeks after you've submitted it. Hopefully they would have gotten back to you before then. But if not, just ask. :smile:

well, it is a really selective university and each department probably found the best method of choosing students.
I'm worried that my application would take a lot longer, since one of my referee didn't receive the automatic mail to upload the reference via referee portal. I asked him to send an email with the reference as an attachment,2 days ago and I sent it as well trough the student portal just to make sure...
Well, I didn't receive their reply either by student portal or mail..I do understand they are busy and probably they are experiencing fundings cuts as well.
i would avoid calling them because I'm not at home and a phone call to London from here would be quite expensive..what do you suggest me?Do they read the mails sent by student portal?Maybe they take long also to reply..

King's college is my first choice and even though is expensive if I get in, I would do everything I can to be in class in september...but I'm not giving it too much hope as I don't want to be disappointed!!
Reply 209
well, it is a really selective university and each department probably found the best method of choosing students.
I'm worried that my application would take a lot longer, since one of my referee didn't receive the automatic mail to upload the reference via referee portal. I asked him to send an email with the reference as an attachment,2 days ago and I sent it as well trough the student portal just to make sure...
Well, I didn't receive their reply either by student portal or mail..I do understand they are busy and probably they are experiencing fundings cuts as well.
i would avoid calling them because I'm not at home and a phone call to London from here would be quite expensive..what do you suggest me?Do they read the mails sent by student portal?Maybe they take long also to reply..

King's college is my first choice and even though is expensive if I get in, I would do everything I can to be in class in september...but I'm not giving it too much hope as I don't want to be disappointed!!

I've only communicated with the War Studies Dept via the application portal, and they've been quite prompt in replying. I usually received a reply within 2 days, usually 1 day. But that was from Aug - Nov last year. Maybe it's a busy period now?

I also don't think they start processing your application till they have both your referees' letters. So maybe there will be a delay.

Anyway, if you've already sent them a msg to check if your application is finally in order, I'd just sit tight and wait. All the best!

BTW, where are you from?
Reply 210
Original post by ultimax
I've only communicated with the War Studies Dept via the application portal, and they've been quite prompt in replying. I usually received a reply within 2 days, usually 1 day. But that was from Aug - Nov last year. Maybe it's a busy period now?

I also don't think they start processing your application till they have both your referees' letters. So maybe there will be a delay.

Anyway, if you've already sent them a msg to check if your application is finally in order, I'd just sit tight and wait. All the best!

BTW, where are you from?

I'm from Rome, Italy! What about you?

Yes I think I will just wait..I mean I don't want to bother again my referee. He's not even Italian, but Swedish(I spent 1 year in Sweden for Erasmus), and he's been kind enough to send all those references..

I'm fine with waiting, even though I'm worried that I might hear from other universities sooner. I know they give you only a certain amount of time to reply to their offer, so even though KCL is my first choice, I might need to accept another one..I am not planning to stay another year in my country
Recieved a conditional offer for MA Intelligence and International Security.
Anyone else on here planning to do the same course?! :tongue:
Reply 212
Original post by dippydelight
Recieved a conditional offer for MA Intelligence and International Security.
Anyone else on here planning to do the same course?! :tongue:

I audit a few of those classes.
Reply 213
Anyone gets a scholarship?

A friend who is going to study MSc Intelligent Systems will receive 5,000!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 214
I got a conditional offer for a Comparative Literature MA at King's! I don't know if I really have to be happy though, because, being French, I'm required to pass the TOEFL with 100/120, and I just got 99/120... Do you think it's going to be ok? Or are they really picky? I asked the director of the department, and she didn't really answer my question, she just said she needed the official paper of the results of my TOEFL so she can make a decision! Why didn't she answer 'yes, 99 is really close to 100, so we accept you'? lol It gets me anxious! Does anyone know the degree of flexibility of King's regarding the English Language proficiency? Do you think it's going to be fine?
Reply 215
I have an offer from King's with a 5000 GBP scholarship. However, I also have an offer from Univ. Glasgow for 10,000 GBP. Since I'm an international student, I'll be paying about 12,000 GBP for King's and 5000 GBP for Glasgow with those scholarships.

I got into Glasgow for a Cancer Mres., and they seemed to rank high on the RAE for Cancer Studies.

Does King's have a better research reputation? What would you lot do? :confused:
Original post by vitruvian
i have an offer from king's with a 5000 gbp scholarship. However, i also have an offer from univ. Glasgow for 10,000 gbp. Since i'm an international student, i'll be paying about 12,000 gbp for king's and 5000 gbp for glasgow with those scholarships.

I got into glasgow for a cancer mres., and they seemed to rank high on the rae for cancer studies.

Does king's have a better research reputation? What would you lot do? :confused:

these are 2 vgood unis and it's is up to u to decide where u want to study. Kcl is notable for its research but glasgow is quite reputable although i suspect it does not get the deserving attn cause it's not situated in london! If funds are not a factor for u, then it's really a matter of whether u want 2 be in london or not. Too many ppl want 2 b in "london" without realising the disadvantage they may be putting themselves in. I would choose glasgow cause i knw of 2 ppl who studied there, 1 a couple years back & 1 more recently - they both were impressed, 1 is working in the uk for nhs & the other is doing phd research in the us. Glasgow seems to be the better option of the 2. Either way, best of luck in whatever u choose.
Reply 217
Original post by daisy taylor
these are 2 vgood unis and it's is up to u to decide where u want to study. Kcl is notable for its research but glasgow is quite reputable although i suspect it does not get the deserving attn cause it's not situated in london! If funds are not a factor for u, then it's really a matter of whether u want 2 be in london or not. Too many ppl want 2 b in "london" without realising the disadvantage they may be putting themselves in. I would choose glasgow cause i knw of 2 ppl who studied there, 1 a couple years back & 1 more recently - they both were impressed, 1 is working in the uk for nhs & the other is doing phd research in the us. Glasgow seems to be the better option of the 2. Either way, best of luck in whatever u choose.

Thanks. What are the "disadvantages" of London?
Reply 218
Hey Guys,

I will be studying at King's next year, doing a master's in War Studies. I come from Brussels and have no clue about accommodation. I have been told that I should look in the private sector, most halls being occupied by freshmen. Any advise ? Thanks so much! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by vitruvian
Thanks. What are the "disadvantages" of London?

2 main disadv: OVERCROWDED / CONGESTED, VERY EXPENSIVE!!

Because of geographic location, you will get less community feel @ KCL. Also, I think you are only considering tuition; what about accommodation, transportation, books, food & other miscellaneous stuff. Have you considered the overall cost - 10000GBP goes a long way! London is one of the MOST expensive places to live, albeit temporary.

Like I said, once finances are not an issue, then it's just a matter of where you want to be. But really, emphasis should be on the course content, social atmosphere of either Uni should be secondary in making a choice.

Both great Unis but like you said, Glasgow has the advantage in terms of your specific area of study. Best of Luck!

As much as I like KCL, I chose St. Andrew's over it to do my Masters. I can always visit London for a holiday (hopefully in the next 10yrs) after I am done studying.

Quick Reply

Latest