The Student Room Group

Which medical school should I go to

I'm really confused on which medical school to choose: KCL for the Extended medical degree programme which is 6 years or St Georges for the normal 5 year course. They are both close to me, so distance doesn't matter. Any help is appreciated.
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Original post by 123BCRH
I'm really confused on which medical school to choose: KCL for the Extended medical degree programme which is 6 years or St Georges for the normal 5 year course. They are both close to me, so distance doesn't matter. Any help is appreciated.

Firstly, congratulations on your offers! How lovely to have the choice.

I cant help on the differences between the two courses, teaching style, admin etc, but presumably you have no preferences that way? And if both local to you then the accom costs might not be so very different.

The question for me would be why take 6 years to do a degree (with all its attendant expenses) when you have the option of also doing it in 5?
What extra would the EMDP and the extra year give you and how much do you value that?

There is a high focus on support and extended learning phase in stage 1 that might be valuable to you for example and other things like placement etc might differ? Entry grade requirements etc. It would ultimately be one for you to decide.

Entry requirements might be lower in one course. Some would argue there is no benefit in putting the higher grade one as an insurance choice, because if you make the required grades you would have been accepted into your firm so your second choice loses its "insurance" value. Not so if the second choice has lower grades.

Good luck whatever you decide.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by GGIN
Firstly, congratulations on your offers! How lovely to have the choice.

I cant help on the differences between the two courses, teaching style, admin etc, but presumably you have no preferences that way? And if both local to you then the accom costs might not be so very different.

The question for me would be why take 6 years to do a degree (with all its attendant expenses) when you have the option of also doing it in 5?
What extra would the EMDP and the extra year give you and how much do you value that?

There is a high focus on support and extended learning phase in stage 1 that might be valuable to you for example and other things like placement etc might differ? Entry grade requirements etc. It would ultimately be one for you to decide.

Entry requirements might be lower in one course. Some would argue there is no benefit in putting the higher grade one as an insurance choice, because if you make the required grades you would have been accepted into your firm so your second choice loses its "insurance" value. Not so if the second choice has lower grades.

Good luck whatever you decide.

I feel like at kings I will get more research opportunities and they do have better hospitals (Guys, St Thomas and Kings hospital), Another reason is that they have a way better campus and location in London whereas St Georges is not in such a good part of London and doesn't really have a campus (is inside a hospital). Also KCL gives a bursary of 4.6 k each year for 3 years which is higher than St Georges (1.7 k first year then 1 k for the rest) too. The only thing I prefer about St Georges more is that they are giving me a offer for the 5 year course and that I may be treated differently (by students on the 5 year course) at KCL due to being a EMDP student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending