The Student Room Group

GCEAL for HKU/CUHK MBBS

I'm a local student of HK, but now study at a boarding school in the UK for A level. I have chosen biology,chemistry,psychology. Why does HKU and CUHK require 4xA* while even KCL UCL and Cambridge require 2xA* and 1xA. Am I too late to choose an extra subject to get into HKU/CUHK? And how are medical schools in top UK universities differ from HK? I'm quite confused, on the one hand HK has cheaper tuition fees for me but very high requirements.
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Original post by Swiftyzz
I'm a local student of HK, but now study at a boarding school in the UK for A level. I have chosen biology,chemistry,psychology. Why does HKU and CUHK require 4xA* while even KCL UCL and Cambridge require 2xA* and 1xA. Am I too late to choose an extra subject to get into HKU/CUHK? And how are medical schools in top UK universities differ from HK? I'm quite confused, on the one hand HK has cheaper tuition fees for me but very high requirements.

Both unis in HK you've mentioned allow three subject choices (https://non-jupas.info/nonjupas/ranking-your-choices).

While I'm not sure whether this applies to medicine, I have heard of some current students who entered the uni to a subject with a easier threshold, and transfered into their preferred major. This is especially helpful for HKU, which doesn't require you to declare your major until Year 2.
Reply 3

spcs dgs spc: Hello~~~ u pork guy la we all 5A*
Reply 4
Original post by Gayvin
spcs dgs spc: Hello~~~ u pork guy la we all 5A*

during the HKU open day last week, a speaker in the faculty of arts non-jupas talk mentioned the highest grade they previously admitted: 6A* 1A.

needless to say, a ripple of "cheesin" was heard among the audience...
Reply 5

HKU and CUHK are more academic dependent and will definitely require higher grades to get into. On the other hand, KCL UCL or Cambridge medicine have lower requirements because they focus more on the other abilities, eg. problem solving and critical thinking, that's why they take UCAT or BMAT into account, when HKU and CUHK don't (on website saying they take into, but the ppl I know got in, their UCAT lying around 60 percentile, only a few 90). However, it's still competitive for top unis in UK, reckon about 20 ppl for 1 place, and you might end up still needing 4A* for UCL and Cambridge (I think KCL and other less competitive unis not looking at grades, as long as you reach the threshold, it's fine), especially for international students, really competitive. If you are applying to those schools, you might only need decent grades, but greater diversity of ECA, better personal profile and better UCAT or BMAT score.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending