The Student Room Group

Are these GCSE grades good enough to study medicine?

I want to become a doctor. Are these GCSE grades good enough to become a doctor: 6 A's, 5 B's and 1 C.

I'm currently studying for A-levels in Biology, Chemistry, French and Maths.

I'm doing great in my french and maths. However in class tests I keep getting C's and D's in biology and chemistry.

Do you think I could become a doctor? even if I get a lot of work experience?

Please be honest.

Thank you in advance,
I'm not studying medicine yet, but my GCSEs of 2.5A*, 4A, 3B were enough to get me an interview today... So I wouldn't write yourself off yet :smile:
Honestly, I think you'd be at a disadvantage. There are a lot of very good applicants for medicine, and I think you'd be below the band they were looking for. How about natural sciences or just chemistry and biology themselves?
Reply 3
You know how competitive medicine is and how many people there will be with straight A*s. Your GCSEs are good, but they're not fantastic. However, if you get some good work experience and do well in your A Levels your application will be a lot more favourable.

If you're not doing well in bio and chem, are you sure you want to do medicine at uni? If you're struggling now, you might be in trouble at uni.
Reply 4
If you apply smartly then you'll stand a very good chance. Some Universities like Birmingham and Oxford love GCSEs whereas Southampton and St. George's require you meet a criteria (which isn't too demanding) and if you pass it, they won't pay any further attention to your GCSEs.

I suggest focusing on your A-levels/extra-curricular/volunteering and work experience.
Reply 5
Original post by indie94
I want to become a doctor. Are these GCSE grades good enough to become a doctor: 6 A's, 5 B's and 1 C.

I'm doing great in my french and maths. However in class tests I keep getting C's and D's in biology and chemistry.

Please be honest.

Thank you in advance,

They are a good set of GCSEs, but they are a disadvantage for medicine. That's not to say you don't have a chance at medicine, you do, but you would have to carefully pick medical schools that don't put too much weight on GCSEs.

That being said, no matter how much work experience you have, you're pretty screwed if you don't get A's in Biology and Chemistry. So you should really be concentating on those (particularly Chemistry).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
if you're really set on med go for it!! your results are good compared to a lot of people, and while all the SUPER NERDS or dead clever people will apply for med you can defo still compete if you get a good UKCAT score and good A levels :smile: Alsoo research ones that don't require straigh A*s.. i think Birmingham does but loads of good ones don't so relax! Good luck :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by kat2pult
You know how competitive medicine is and how many people there will be with straight A*s. Your GCSEs are good, but they're not fantastic. However, if you get some good work experience and do well in your A Levels your application will be a lot more favourable.

If you're not doing well in bio and chem, are you sure you want to do medicine at uni? If you're struggling now, you might be in trouble at uni.

In my experience, virtually everyone struggles with Biology/Chemistry at the beginning of Year 12. I'm only just now getting into the swing of things with Biology, but Chemistry is still a bit of a bitch (a fun bitch, though).
Reply 8
Could anyone answer this please?

My friend also wants to either study medicine or dentistry. Are her grades good enough: 1A*, 3A's, 7B's and 2C's? She's planning on doing a pre-dental year as the A-levels she has taken are biology, applied science, history and psychology.

Thanks
They are pretty sexy GCSEs to me :awesome:

Certain universities are out of bounds (Birmingham is since it's a GCSE whore slut bitch) but I think with excellent A-Levels you'll make the cut at a top university for sure.
Well, there's no point being dishonest, 6A's are very good gcse results but they do not compare to 90% of medicine applicants who usually have atleast 5A*. However, if you apply for a uni which is probably a little lower in the league tables why not? I mean GCSEs are not the single determining factor in deciding whether you get in, whereas AS levels ARE. Make sure you get AAAA at AS, work like Joel even if you have to
Reply 11
Those GCSE's could pass, but obviously you'll be at a disadvantage to candidates that have straight A's/A*'s.

Whether they'll accept you academically really depends on your predicted A2's... and if you're failing the two subjects that most Uni's (99% really) ask for - Biology and Chemistry, then it unfortunately doesn't sound like you will be good enough. You need AAA. They don't care if you have an A in French if you can't get an A in Biol or Chem.
I have been getting consistent Ds in Chem, too- (Cs when we get to mark our own test :wink: ), but am fairly confident I'm going to get 90+ in the exam.

The content is not hard, and there is not a lot of it. The same questions recur year after year.
Sit down for an hour a day in December and nail it!
Reply 13
Original post by Extricated
Well, there's no point being dishonest, 6A's are very good gcse results but they do not compare to 90% of medicine applicants who usually have atleast 5A*. However, if you apply for a uni which is probably a little lower in the league tables why not? I mean GCSEs are not the single determining factor in deciding whether you get in, whereas AS levels ARE. Make sure you get AAAA at AS, work like Joel even if you have to

RIP JS
Loads of people with straight As apply for medicine so, like mentioned before in this thread, you'd definitely be at a disadvantage
Reply 15
The Top Universities in the UK are Committed to the following Criteria:
1. The predicted AS result based on A2
2. Your personality and Work Experience
3. The Previous acadamic result: GCSEs

For example, If you were in a competition with someone else, who achieved/predicted the same grades, they would look at the second and third Criteria. So if you achieve outstanding grades you would be fine.

Source:
As told by the education officer at Imperial College during the visit of my school.

You could look at the follwoing link, which outlines the GCSE Requirements:
http://www1.imperial.ac.uk/medicine/teaching/undergraduate/medicine/admissions/requirements/

They even accept candidates with GCSE Double Science!!!
Good Luck
(edited 13 years ago)
there are gonna be better applicants than you, so your grades arent good enough
Original post by indie94

Please be honest.

Thank you in advance,

What are your Cs and Bs in? Read this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

There are also admissions tests UKCAT/BMAT which are used to select candidates for interview. A good performance in these can offset sub-par GCSEs at SOME universities.

Your GCSEs are not putting you at an advantage in applying, but if you apply smart and fill out an otherwise solid application, you have a chance. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest