The Student Room Group

**** just got real, North Korea deploys missiles at South Korean ship

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The CNN video of the guy reporting on the protests in south Korea is hilarious, the dude seems like he is scared for his life
What does this mean for our war in the middle east? Are we capable of supporting two wars at the same time?
Reply 22
I recommend the word 'peace' to be taken off from the dictionary !
**** it, its about time there was another war, its been what, like 7 years for America? Time to finally completely destroy their economy
down with the imperialists
Reply 25
:O
Whoop! i hope north korea wins!
Kim Jong Il is my second favourite lovable foreigner who I'd love to see win something before christmas. Right after this guy.

Reply 28
IF a war breaks out,North korea doent stand a chance.

Will be nice to see them try.
Reply 29
Original post by Fabtastic
Why did they have to do their military excercises so close to the disputed border ? Sounds like a provocation - they should know better as NK will retaliate. I knew only the USA could be involved something like this - which may lead unnecessary loss of life. Tragic.

Do you honestly think the military exercise is just for training purposes?

It's part of power projection. Read up on military policy young one.
Reply 30
Original post by Amuroray
IF a war breaks out,North korea doent stand a chance.

Will be nice to see them try.

If war breaks out, the question isn't who wins. We all know the answer to that. The question is how China reacts and who will control the territory.
Reply 31
Original post by asdfg0987
Whoop! i hope north korea wins!

This, but they likely won't - China is sitting on the fence (despite previously condemning the nuclear tests) and Russia has already ordered North Korea to stop misbehaving and calm down.

You have to remember that China keeps North Korea afloat for the following reasons among others:

They don't want instability in the region - if NK collapses, you'll get rogue generals selling nuke technology, guerrilla warfare and all sorts of hideousness

A collapse in the regime would see gazillions of NK refugees flowing into China

A collapse in the regime would likely see SK and US troops pouring across the DMZ, and China doesn't want the west that close

TL;DR - the status quo suits Chinese interests just fine, thank you very much. I think calling the foreign staff home is a significant move. It reeks of conscription and the country needing all hands to the pump for a war effort.

The North Korean army probably won't fight a terribly wonderful conventional war as your average squaddie is poorly fed and has outdated kit, but their special forces are apparently excellent and they've got some decent armoured units. You have to remember that the country has been on a permanent war footing, Nineteen Eighty-Four style, pretty much since Kim Jong Il took power in 1997 (Kim Il Sung didn't place as much emphasis on the military and, arguably, North Korean living standards were an order of magnitude higher when he was still alive and in direct control) so chances are they're prepared for pretty much everything.
(edited 13 years ago)
No worries gents. I have already completed Black Ops included the special ops missions. I am a trained SAS, NAVY SEAL and Task Force 141 operative. I can take down North Korea myself.
Reply 33
Original post by ch0llima
This, but they likely won't - China is sitting on the fence (despite previously condemning the nuclear tests) and Russia has already ordered North Korea to stop misbehaving and calm down.

You have to remember that China keeps North Korea afloat for the following reasons among others:

They don't want instability in the region - if NK collapses, you'll get rogue generals selling nuke technology, guerrilla warfare and all sorts of hideousness

A collapse in the regime would see gazillions of NK refugees flowing into China

A collapse in the regime would likely see SK and US troops pouring across the DMZ, and China doesn't want the west that close

TL;DR - the status quo suits Chinese interests just fine, thank you very much. I think calling the foreign staff home is a significant move. It reeks of conscription and the country needing all hands to the pump for a war effort.

The North Korean army probably won't fight a terribly wonderful conventional war as your average squaddie is poorly fed and has outdated kit, but their special forces are apparently excellent and they've got some decent armoured units. You have to remember that the country has been on a permanent war footing, Nineteen Eighty-Four style, pretty much since Kim Jong Il took power in 1997 (Kim Il Sung didn't place as much emphasis on the military and, arguably, North Korean living standards were an order of magnitude higher when he was still alive and in direct control) so chances are they're prepared for pretty much everything.

Two questions for you, as you probably have more insight on this topic than anyone else on the forums.

1. Do you think China views North Korea as a significant trade partner?
2. If NK goes to war, what do you think would happen afterwards as far as a new government. Do you think it would be restructured internally? Or would an outside force takeover?
Reply 34
Original post by Lord_Farquad
No worries gents. I have already completed Black Ops included the special ops missions. I am a trained SAS, NAVY SEAL and Task Force 141 operative. I can take down North Korea myself.

Imagine how easy world war 2 would have been if we had video games to train us all in Special Warfare.
Apparently China are going to announce something urgent regarding the situation within the next hour or so.

http://www.koreaherald.com/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20101128000305
Reply 36
Original post by King_Blumpkins
Apparently China are going to announce something urgent regarding the situation within the next hour or so.

http://www.koreaherald.com/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20101128000305

In b4 ww3.
The British Empire along with the EU will step in to keep the balance.... The loyal Dominions of Australia, Canada, New Zealand etc... be bound to join with them...
New Zealand won't join ****.
Reply 39
The outcome of this is all down to China.
If they realise Kim Jong Ill is ****ed up then the out come should be fine.
If they don't and stick by his side anyway, the outcome won't be pretty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending