The Student Room Group

Worked abroad for 2 and a half years, am I eligible for student finance?

I am looking for any advice, thank you in advance for anyone who can assist.

I am 28 years old and hoping to do a BSc in physics through the Open University. This would be my second degree (I previously got a BA in history), but it is my understanding that second degrees can be funded if they are in STEM. I am originally from Wales but I have been living in England for the last year for work.

However, from December 2019 to March 2022 I worked in South Korea, teaching English. I only ever went there temporarily and in fact, only stayed as long as I did because of the pandemic. I was on a temporary visa (E2) that had to be updated each year. During that time I maintained a permanent address in the UK at my mother's house, which is where I lived before moving abroad. She received all of my mail. I have some photos that she sent me of mail she received for me at that time. I also have my first contract for my first year of working, and I have my visa in my passport, as well as a photo of my Korean ID which has my visa classification on it. Is this enough for me to be able to successfully apply to Student Finance England?
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by MoonWhale

I am 28 years old and hoping to do a BSc in physics through the Open University. This would be my second degree (I previously got a BA in history), but it is my understanding that second degrees can be funded if they are in STEM. I am originally from Wales but I have been living in England for the last year for work.

However, from December 2019 to March 2022 I worked in South Korea, teaching English. I only ever went there temporarily and in fact, only stayed as long as I did because of the pandemic. I was on a temporary visa (E2) that had to be updated each year. During that time I maintained a permanent address in the UK at my mother's house, which is where I lived before moving abroad. She received all of my mail. I have some photos that she sent me of mail she received for me at that time. I also have my first contract for my first year of working, and I have my visa in my passport, as well as a photo of my Korean ID which has my visa classification on it. Is this enough for me to be able to successfully apply to Student Finance England?

Hi there,

When does your course? Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

When does your course? Thanks, Jason

It would start in February 2024

It would start in February 2024

Hi MoonWhale,

Thank you for confirming. Temporary residency is reviewed on a case by case basis, therefore, it is best to post your evidence of your temporary absence from the UK along with a cover letter to advise of the circumstances. Our current processing timescales are approximately 13 working days, with subject to change depending on our current volumes.

Student Finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington
DL1 9HJ

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending