The Student Room Group

Warwick or UCL? Which do you think is better and why?

For an Economics course..

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
UCL - should be self-explanatory, as good as Warwick is.
Reply 2
I would not rate either higher than the other (at undergraduate).
Reply 3
Original post by danny111
I would not rate either higher than the other (at undergraduate).

Which would be a better option if I was choosing solely on employment prospects? Or is it the same? And how would you rank them for postgraduate?
Reply 4
UCL has a higher reputation imo but I doubt going to one will open doors that the other won't. Warwcik asks for A*AAA for econ ffs :lolwut:. But I'd choose UCL cos it's in London.
They're both good. Take your pic.
Reply 6
Original post by sabbath_92
Which would be a better option if I was choosing solely on employment prospects? Or is it the same? And how would you rank them for postgraduate?

Postgraduate UCL is better.
Reply 7
I'm sitting on offers from both and I prefer Warwick.
Reply 8
They're both at they're in terms of employment prospects. UCL and Warwick are definitely target universities for the top companies. Really just depends where you think you will enjoy yourself. Warwick has the campus feel and UCL is in london. The experience will differ quite a bit because of this.
Both are excellent unis for economics so in terms of reputation, there is little to separate. Personally I prefer the campus feel to Warwick so that would be my choice. I don't like the idea of being a student in London cos it's so expensive and a little segregated.
Reply 10
London > industrial place near Coventry.
Reply 11
Original post by Acerbic
London > industrial place near Coventry.

Err...in what way is Warwick campus industrial? If anything, it's decidedly rural and pleasant.
Landaan mate
Reply 13
Well I had offers from both and I decided on UCL for the following reasons: Much stronger international reputation and global rankings (I'm international so it matters to me), being able to living in a vibrant global city, probably if you're looking for a job in the city the london factor may help a bit. Probably helps to note that UCL is part of the golden triangle and Group of 5 (G5) universities.
(edited 13 years ago)
Even I have offers (albeit conditional) from both and I'd definitely choose UCL over Warwick owing to mostly the London factor plus the fact that UCL is much more recognized internationally. Also, I noticed something strange in the Times Rankings. Warwick is not even listed there for some strange reason while UCL is 22nd overall and 14th in the social sciences.

Also, many people have told me that attending career fairs etc would be easier from UCL owing to its proximity to all the banks. Plus scoring internships is easier when you are in London itself. I guess it would be a bit of a pain in the ass to travel from Warwick to major cities for career fairs and interviews and ****.
Plus, you can work part time in London and offset the extra costs of living here. And honestly, living in one of the greatest cities of the world would be amazing from a social point of view.
UCL.
For economics solely probably Warwick but overall definitely UCL in my opinion.
UCL
UCL
Reply 19
I'm quite certain that UCL has more international recognition than Warwick has, but I'm not really sure about UCL being more preferred than Warwick in terms of employment opportunities. If you have to take the word of Tobias Wagnert, an Executive Director of UBS Investment Banking, he says:

"As a leading global investment bank, recruiting the best graduates is critical for our continued success. We are very excited about our strong relationship with the University of Warwick, which is one of our key target universities in Europe. In 2010 our Investment Banking Department recruited more graduates from the University of Warwick than from any other university in the UK." http://www.wbs.ac.uk/news/releases/2010/11/19/WBS/undergraduates/win

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending