The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Basic Biochemistry or Conservation & the Environment?

Hey
I'm a 1st year Biology/Psychology student thinking about swapping my modules next semester. Does anyone know much about the above courses, or have they done them?

It's a big toss up for me because on one hand I've heard the teaching in Biochemistry is great, but I'm not feeling to great about having a huge pile of labs next term as well as I didn't get on great with these ones. The Conservation module has a field trip though, which I'd be keen to do, but I've never really done ecology before. I got a D in A-Level chemistry but I got an A for the Biochem module in my a-Level biology, but i don't know how similar they'd be to the Biochem module here. My interest lies in evolution & genetics, so both would probably be equally beneficial. Any thoughts, people?:smile:

link. =)
Have you considered switching to straight biology? That way it would surely be possible to study biochem modules in addition to evolution and genetics. I don't think it would be possible to study much evolution/environment on a biochemistry degree and vice versa.
(edited 13 years ago)
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by kbountra
Have you considered switching to straight biology? That way it would surely be possible to study biochem modules in addition to evolution and genetics. I don't think it would be possible to study much evolution/environment on a biochemistry degree and vice versa.

No, because I want to be a behavioural geneticist. Therefore, I need the psychology background to tie in with my other stuff. I'm not talking about swapping degrees, just picking which optional modules to take next year =)
Original post by linkaneo
No, because I want to be a behavioural geneticist. Therefore, I need the psychology background to tie in with my other stuff. I'm not talking about swapping degrees, just picking which optional modules to take next year =)

Ah ok then- in that case I would go with the biochem modules as they would potentially encompass some evolutionary genetics.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Basic Biochem is a piece of piss. Easiest A grade ever.

Also, it has nothing to do with A level chemistry. If you did well at A level biochem you should do well in this. It's basically an extension of the principles covered in A levels...proteins, carbohydrates, lipids and cellular respiration.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by linkaneo
Hey
I'm a 1st year Biology/Psychology student thinking about swapping my modules next semester. Does anyone know much about the above courses, or have they done them?

It's a big toss up for me because on one hand I've heard the teaching in Biochemistry is great, but I'm not feeling to great about having a huge pile of labs next term as well as I didn't get on great with these ones. The Conservation module has a field trip though, which I'd be keen to do, but I've never really done ecology before. I got a D in A-Level chemistry but I got an A for the Biochem module in my a-Level biology, but i don't know how similar they'd be to the Biochem module here. My interest lies in evolution & genetics, so both would probably be equally beneficial. Any thoughts, people?:smile:

link. =)

Basic Biochem would be more beneficial than the other one. And as someone said, easiest A in the world to take. It is a piss take. Whilst the conservation module does have a field trip it is in the Easter which means it will eat up some of your revision time.
Reply 6
Thanks guys, you've been helpful. I'll stick with Biochem for the first week and see how it goes.
Reply 7
Hi,

I was just wondering if any of you guys are doing/did the 'Conservation and Environment' module, and if so, are there any notes available that you can share?

Thanks,

Unown

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending