Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I'm a 1st year Biology/Psychology student thinking about swapping my modules next semester. Does anyone know much about the above courses, or have they done them?

It's a big toss up for me because on one hand I've heard the teaching in Biochemistry is great, but I'm not feeling to great about having a huge pile of labs next term as well as I didn't get on great with these ones. The Conservation module has a field trip though, which I'd be keen to do, but I've never really done ecology before. I got a D in A-Level chemistry but I got an A for the Biochem module in my a-Level biology, but i don't know how similar they'd be to the Biochem module here. My interest lies in evolution & genetics, so both would probably be equally beneficial. Any thoughts, people?

link. =)

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered switching to straight biology? That way it would surely be possible to study biochem modules in addition to evolution and genetics. I don't think it would be possible to study much evolution/environment on a biochemistry degree and vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    Have you considered switching to straight biology? That way it would surely be possible to study biochem modules in addition to evolution and genetics. I don't think it would be possible to study much evolution/environment on a biochemistry degree and vice versa.
    No, because I want to be a behavioural geneticist. Therefore, I need the psychology background to tie in with my other stuff. I'm not talking about swapping degrees, just picking which optional modules to take next year =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linkaneo)
    No, because I want to be a behavioural geneticist. Therefore, I need the psychology background to tie in with my other stuff. I'm not talking about swapping degrees, just picking which optional modules to take next year =)
    Ah ok then- in that case I would go with the biochem modules as they would potentially encompass some evolutionary genetics.

ReputationRep:
    Basic Biochem is a piece of piss. Easiest A grade ever.

Also, it has nothing to do with A level chemistry. If you did well at A level biochem you should do well in this. It's basically an extension of the principles covered in A levels...proteins, carbohydrates, lipids and cellular respiration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linkaneo)
    Hey
    I'm a 1st year Biology/Psychology student thinking about swapping my modules next semester. Does anyone know much about the above courses, or have they done them?

It's a big toss up for me because on one hand I've heard the teaching in Biochemistry is great, but I'm not feeling to great about having a huge pile of labs next term as well as I didn't get on great with these ones. The Conservation module has a field trip though, which I'd be keen to do, but I've never really done ecology before. I got a D in A-Level chemistry but I got an A for the Biochem module in my a-Level biology, but i don't know how similar they'd be to the Biochem module here. My interest lies in evolution & genetics, so both would probably be equally beneficial. Any thoughts, people?

link. =)
    Basic Biochem would be more beneficial than the other one. And as someone said, easiest A in the world to take. It is a piss take. Whilst the conservation module does have a field trip it is in the Easter which means it will eat up some of your revision time.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, you've been helpful. I'll stick with Biochem for the first week and see how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was just wondering if any of you guys are doing/did the 'Conservation and Environment' module, and if so, are there any notes available that you can share?

Thanks,

Unown

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.