The Student Room Group

SAAS question

Hi,
first off, im new here so tell me if this is the wrong place for this thread - and im in Scotland

Im in a situation where, for a few different reasons, Im not sure if I want to stay in my course or drop out. Im in college doing a HNC Music course. Ive been receiving a handy sum each month from SAAS - both loan and bursary - and am worried that if I do drop out ill have to pay it all back.

I do intend to apply for University next year and believe that I could get in if I put in the practice.

So im basically wondering if SAAS will want me to repay my bursary for the first term if i drop out

If you want me to clarify anything about my situation, just ask

cheers,
Bryce
Reply 1
I would phone SAAS to find out, they're not as busy this time of year (they're really busy in September/October, for obvious reasons) so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting through. I did this once to ask about possible future funding issues and they were really helpful.
I'm not absolutely sure about funding when it comes to an HNC course, but I know that with university degrees there's the 'false start' facility, where if you drop out in your first year, you can apply for another course, and when you apply for funding it'll be treated like a clean slate, so you'll get funding for the whole degree. If you've taken any money from the Student Loans Company, that'll have to be paid back I think.
As for whether to drop out or not.. is the course relevant to what you want to do at university, because if it is you're probably best doing it, but otherwise, then it is up to you.
But seriously phone SAAS, they're the ones in the know!
Reply 2
Is your HNC a standalone HNC? Or is it the first year of an HND? a standalone HNC is not taken into account when assessing your entitlement to degree funding. But the first year of an HND would be counted under the false start rule mentioned above.

Either way, you will only pay back any loan once you have finished your studies and are in employment earning at least £15k.

As for your bursary. SAAS will calculate how much bursary you are due up until the date you left the course and any additional money paid will become debt. But this debt can just be deducted from your bursary entitlement for next year.

Finally your fees. Whether or not SAAS pay your fees depends on the date you leave the course and whether you were in attendance on the "fee cut off date" see here for more info: http://www.saas.gov.uk/student_support/fees.htm#fees_cut

Good luck with Uni.
Reply 3
The cut off date was during the chrismas holidays (1st dec), but im still on the college register now so if i were to leave at the beginning of next term, just over a week, the fees would be paid for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending