The Student Room Group

Home fee status but living in England

Hi I’ve been granted a home fee status by a Scottish university do I apply to SAAS for funding or just change the amount of my tuition fee loan in student finance ?I reside in England but got home fee status due to being a settled status with national
Original post by kakunek765
Hi I’ve been granted a home fee status by a Scottish university do I apply to SAAS for funding or just change the amount of my tuition fee loan in student finance ?I reside in England but got home fee status due to being a settled status with national

You apply for funding based on the country where you are normally resident - so Student Finance England.

Can you clarify if you have been granted home fee status or 'rest of uk' status? The latter would be the norm if you live in England.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2

Could you tell me your circumstances?. Did you live in scotland before moving to England? Do you have to be living in Spain before course starts?
Original post by kaipahead
Could you tell me your circumstances?. Did you live in scotland before moving to England? Do you have to be living in Spain before course starts?

The OP has said that they live in England. If you have a question about student finance, please start a different thread.
Reply 4
Original post by normaw
The OP has said that they live in England. If you have a question about student finance, please start a different thread.

Sorry but thought it was useful to know as the OP claims to have Scottish home fee status( free tuition) and lives in England and is not uk national. To get home status they would have at least have had to previously lived in Scotland for 3 years before living in England( and before 2020 Brexit dealine). Providing that information is useful for other persons who might have similar circumstances
Reply 5
Original post by normaw
You apply for funding based on the country where you are normally resident - so Student Finance England.

Can you clarify if you have been granted home fee status or 'rest of uk' status? The latter would be the norm if you live in England.

Hi I’ve been granted the home fee status due to being an EU citizen and having settled status so when I have applied to Scottish universities I’ve been given the home fee status ,however I’m unsure where too apply for funding as I’ve been told it normally goes through saas however I already started an application theough student finance as this is where I live so I’m unsure on what to do ?
Hi I’ve been granted the home fee status due to being an EU citizen and having settled status so when I have applied to Scottish universities I’ve been given the home fee status ,however I’m unsure where too apply for funding as I’ve been told it normally goes through saas however I already started an application theough student finance as this is where I live so I’m unsure on what to do ?

Tagging in @PQ for advice as now you've clarified I'm unsure which funding body you apply to.
Reply 7
Original post by kaipahead
Sorry but thought it was useful to know as the OP claims to have Scottish home fee status( free tuition) and lives in England and is not uk national. To get home status they would have at least have had to previously lived in Scotland for 3 years before living in England( and before 2020 Brexit dealine). Providing that information is useful for other persons who might have similar circumstances

Original post by normaw

My apologies. I have just read the relevant legislation for Scotland and the OP as a EU nat with settled status in uk will be eligible for Home status in Scotland and is funded by SAAS.
it's actually more complex than this.

SAAS will cover any tuition fee support, SFE will provide living cost loans and a tuition fee support to cover any tuition fees the university does charge that aren't covered by SAAS

So continue your SFE application as normal
But also apply for tuition fee support from SAAS using their forms: https://www.saas.gov.uk/full-time/eu-student-funding-full-time
Unlike SFW and DFNI SAAS is completely independent of SFE so their systems aren't linked until SAAS pass information on to SLC if you have any loans with them.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
it's actually more complex than this.

SAAS will cover any tuition fee support, SFE will provide living cost loans and a tuition fee support to cover any tuition fees the university does charge that aren't covered by SAAS

So continue your SFE application as normal
But also apply for tuition fee support from SAAS using their forms: https://www.saas.gov.uk/full-time/eu-student-funding-full-time
Unlike SFW and DFNI SAAS is completely independent of SFE so their systems aren't linked until SAAS pass information on to SLC if you have any loans with them.

So should I apply to saas aswell then ? My application with SFE is started and I changed the tutition fee loan on SFE to 1820 should I leav it at that and apply to saas aswell?
So should I apply to saas aswell then ? My application with SFE is started and I changed the tutition fee loan on SFE to 1820 should I leav it at that and apply to saas aswell?

Yep - leave it as that for now and apply to SAAS as well.
If SAAS approve it then your university will charge them and won't send a charge to SFE for your tuition fee

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending