The Student Room Group

Physics Exam on 12th

I have a Physics AS exam on 12th Jan. I have done No revision. I need to scrape at least a B in this module. Even if it is the minimum marks required. Does anyone have any advice or anything I can do so I don't end up with a fail grade. Which please do not neg me but is a C or below because I want to study medicine (or some related course)

Please help. Because I know from now on I shall AND WILL Know better

God. I wish this could go as Anon
Past papers and a good revision guide.
I am an aspiring medical student also. Im predicted an A in physics but I am struggling to cope with the revision even when doing a load of revision.

I sincerely wouldnt aim for a B/C in the january module, even if your going to drop physics at the end of AS. A lot of med schools look for 4 A's at AS and then 3 A's at A2. They also do not look highly on resits either.

You still have time to revise; take my advice, if your that determined to do medicine, turn off facebook and your whole computer altogether and do some hard revision!

I agree with boromir, do lots and lots of past papers; you want to go into that exam knowing that you can tackle anything that comes your way. I find the revision guide that my school gives me sufficient for revision most of time but sometimes the wording is difficult in that book so I turn to the Physics AS CGP book to help me understand certain aspects.

Exam questions is the way to go. If you find a question you cant do, turn to your revision guide to look the topic over.

Finally: Doing NO REVISION is not an excuse for failing an exam. It's harsh but thats how it is, especially if you want to study medicine after all.
Original post by House of Jonny
I have a Physics AS exam on 12th Jan. I have done No revision. I need to scrape at least a B in this module. Even if it is the minimum marks required. Does anyone have any advice or anything I can do so I don't end up with a fail grade. Which please do not neg me but is a C or below because I want to study medicine (or some related course)

Please help. Because I know from now on I shall AND WILL Know better

God. I wish this could go as Anon

Medicine? You'd better hope for an A*.
Reply 4
i am also doing the physics exam in january and have also done no revision.However i manged to scrape a c in my mock again with doing no revision so my advice to you would be to aim to do around two hours of physics revision up untill the exam, this should ensure that you are fully prepared for anything that comes up on the exam. And finally, it is never too late to start revision and another thging to remember is that it is easier to get an A/B in physics than it is in say biology due to the lower grade boundaries.
Physics is common knowledge to be fair. You don't need heaps of revision, you need to know the applicability to reality.

Source: A* in GCSE Physics.
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Physics is common knowledge to be fair. You don't need heaps of revision, you need to know the applicability to reality.

Source: A* in GCSE Physics.

lol @ you using GCSE physics as a source in a thread about A level physics.
OP, past papers are your best bet.
Reply 7
AS long as you revise definitions and learn to apply your knowledge then you should be fine. I also got A* in gcse physics with only two nights revision, however as physics is a big step up from gcse.
Reply 8
Thank you guys for your support and ideas if you have anymore coming in. I just wanted to say the ones I feel have given me a good one may get subbed in the New Year.

Thanks guys
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Medicine? You'd better hope for an A*.

No you dont need A*'s to study medicine unless you are thinking of applying to Oxbridge or a BMAT uni.

Showing your GCSE physics mark is NOT a source, especially on an AS/A2 thread. You can get an A* in gcse physics without any revision, as I did. Physics AS is a new level
Original post by Scapepicture
No you dont need A*'s to study medicine unless you are thinking of applying to Oxbridge or a BMAT uni.

Showing your GCSE physics mark is NOT a source, especially on an AS/A2 thread. You can get an A* in gcse physics without any revision, as I did. Physics AS is a new level

Well, good luck with that.
Reply 11
How about this site.
http://www.antonine-education.co.uk/Physics%20A%20level/welcome_to_as_physics.htm
Create small notes of each topic and continue. Helps a lot you try
ahaa, i have one on the 12th too :/ soo excited, definitely gonna be fun...
im doing the AQA one, idk if that is what you're doing, but for the AQA, my advice would be to go through the book and do the questions at the end of each chapter etc..
and then do the past papers
but yer i am struggling and i sorta wanna do medicine at uni tooo
oh and if you ever get distracted while doing revision... my advice would be to shut the laptop/computer off, and no music :frown:, no nothingg, just you and your revision stuff :frown:
but after the exam... hurray, freedom xD
Reply 13
Are you doing AQA spec A? I know I have that exam on the 12th.
Original post by Hudzy
Are you doing AQA spec A? I know I have that exam on the 12th.

Yup :cookie:
Reply 15
Is anybody doing the wjec exam??
I am and have found it difficult to get revision material as most of the revision guides are for aqa or ocr.:confused:
Reply 16
I would recommend going through the text book, first completing the summary questions, then end of chapter and then the exam questions. Once you've done that do all the past papers possible. There are 3 up on the AQA website and also some from the older specification (haven't done any of those so not sure how much they vary). Although reading from a textbook will give you a good amount of knowledge about the theory, it's through past papers that you'll learn how to answer the exam. Set yourself targets for each day, e.g a chapter from the text book each day and once that's done a past paper each day. Effective revision, done little and often, will commit the information and techniques involved in answering exam questions to long term memory, which will greatly reduce the stress the week before the exam. Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending