The Student Room Group

Britain should compensate former inhabitants of their colonies

For the cruel tyranny of their rule. I mean Britain started concentration camps for goodness sake. What is the matter with them?
we are paying them by not recolonizing them. tremble world, for Britain is afoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeC0hlsDcqc
Don't you mean inhabitants of former colonies? This is an idea I toyed with in a Political Theory thesis at Uni. xx
Reply 3
Send them signed pictures of Kerry Katona...?
Reply 4
Well in one sense colonization was grossly unfair - subjugation, limitation of political freedom etc. i guess you could even argue that in some cases the conlict caused as a result of all the tension left behind has left a lasting effect on countries

but wouldn't it be really hard to quantify their grief?

also, colonization did have certain economic benefits, if nothing else - diversification of exports, improvement of export facilities, training etc...it's difficult to tell what the state of these countries would be if they hadn't been colonized
Reply 5
We compensate by not invading them and bending them to the British will. As a result they are free which should be enough. I can't stand idiots that say we should compensate every past morally questionable act. There is hardly a major mass movement for it.
So you would want people who weren't born at the time of the Empire to pay people who did not suffer its rule? You can't blame children for the deeds of their forefathers
Reply 7
Lol at the thought of going back 400 thousand years and compensating ancestors for past hardship.

Obvious troll, but people need to be about 400 thousand times more realistic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending