The Student Room Group

procedural error exams appeal university

my university had procedural error in my exams. they did not provide me with extra time even though there is evidence i should be provided with it. i failed one on my modules at 38 percent and now they want me to retake the semester. if my appeal is successful that there was a procedural error will they allow me a compensated pass and allow me to progress? let me know. thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
my university had procedural error in my exams. they did not provide me with extra time even though there is evidence i should be provided with it. i failed one on my modules at 38 percent and now they want me to retake the semester. if my appeal is successful that there was a procedural error will they allow me a compensated pass and allow me to progress? let me know. thanks

What do you mean by " evidence i should be provided with [extra time]"? You would normally need to go through a formal process to be given extra time -- which would involve you providing evidence of a condition that warranted extra time being allowed. These things need to be arranged in advance. If you didn't follow that process, then you wouldn't have been given the alternative arrangements.

If they determine that there was a procedural error then they might give you a compensated pass -- if their regulations allow that.

When you say they want you to retake the semester, do they mean to repeat it doing just the module you failed and then allow you to progress to the next year of your course next September? Or do they mean that you'll have to trail that module this year (i.e. they allow you to progress now, but having to repeat the failed module this year on top of the normal workload)?
Reply 2
Original post by martin7
What do you mean by " evidence i should be provided with [extra time]"? You would normally need to go through a formal process to be given extra time -- which would involve you providing evidence of a condition that warranted extra time being allowed. These things need to be arranged in advance. If you didn't follow that process, then you wouldn't have been given the alternative arrangements.

If they determine that there was a procedural error then they might give you a compensated pass -- if their regulations allow that.

When you say they want you to retake the semester, do they mean to repeat it doing just the module you failed and then allow you to progress to the next year of your course next September? Or do they mean that you'll have to trail that module this year (i.e. they allow you to progress now, but having to repeat the failed module this year on top of the normal workload)?

i have gone through the process of having extra time and had it for all of first year and year two semester one. i did not receive it in semester two as i was studying abroad and they did not send the information over to my new university.

they said i have to repeat year two semester two and start my next course in september.. hopefully i can appeal this
Reply 3
bump
Reply 4
bump, can anyone help advice me what to do in this situation. thanks. is it possible for them to give me a compensated pass for a module reciveing 38 percent, as i can prove that i did not receive extra time in that assessment whereas i recieve it in all other assessments.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
bump, can anyone help advice me what to do in this situation. thanks. is it possible for them to give me a compensated pass for a module reciveing 38 percent, as i can prove that i did not receive extra time in that assessment whereas i recieve it in all other assessments.

It will be up to the univerity's rules to determine what they can/cannot do.

Have you spoken to your student union to get advice on the procedure for appealing?

Some of this might come down to whether or not your university should have disclosed to the university you were visiting that you should be allowed extra time in exams; or whether it was for you to raise the issue with the university ahead of the exams. You probably should not have assumed that information would be automatically passed on.
Reply 6
I sent through all of the documents of proof for my extra time requirements to the university I was visiting ahead of time, and raised it with them again later on in the semester- which I have proof of by email. the only issue is the final step for extra time to be implemented was that I needed an Australian phone number to book an appointment with disability services, which I did not have, as an international student.

the reason I am hoping they will give me a compensated pass for this is because I fit all other criteria, and I know that for one of the modules that I missed due to being abroad in semester 2, they gave compensated passes for one module, as failure was very common as the exam was too hard and under review- so I know that a compensated pass is available under special circumstances in my course, so hope that lack of extra time will also allow this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending