The Student Room Group

Is the Monarchy essential for Britain?

Personally, I think the constitutional monarchy is a great idea in Britian, because it separates government and state. Additionally, it allows sharing of power between the Prime Minister and the Monarch. I am curious to hear your views?
How does it separate government and state? Both still fall under the branch of the executive, and ministers exercise royal prerogatives on the monarch's behalf. Even Acts of law have to always be given by Royal Assent as a matter of convention. Constitutionally, the monarch plays a ceremonial role, and only exists due to historic tradition.
So, no, the monarchy is not essential for Britain.
Reply 2
Essential? No, obviously not.. plenty of countries get by happily without one. Does it work for the UK though? I'd say so. It doesn't suffer from the same distain as politcians have and is relatively unifying - well, except for those nut bars harping on about colonialism and sins of the father and all that nonsense but hey ho.
On a purely pragmatic level, it offers a nice bit of soft power and an economic boon though.
Reply 3
The monarchy will probably be the last of the UK population still to be working while everyone else of working age waits for the money to roll in from the UK benefit gravy train.
No I don’t think that monarchies are in essential in general (I make an exception for Spain).

But making Rishi or Kier President? No thank you.
Original post by Kingdragon
Personally, I think the constitutional monarchy is a great idea in Britian, because it separates government and state. Additionally, it allows sharing of power between the Prime Minister and the Monarch. I am curious to hear your views?
no not really. the monarchy is mainly ceremonial. for government, it isn't really. the main argument is tourism and tradition for keeping it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending