Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What do you think of people who have them?

What would you think of someone who double-barrelled their surname though Deed Poll with a name that died out in their family hundreds of years ago? Snob? Pretentious?

ReputationRep:
    If that's your name, that's your name... it's not something you have control over. I mean generally double barrelled surnames are more common in upper class families, so maybe I would assume someone with a double barrelled name to be snobby if I had never met them, but then it's not always the case.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't care.
    Judging someone just because they have a hyphen in their surname is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I plan to have one when I get married- as I don't want to lose my maiden name! But I'm not upper class, or snobby, or anything like that. I'm actually "common as muck" according to my friends, lol

ReputationRep:
    My friend knows somebody whose double-barrelled surname is O'Toole-Thrower.
    I lol'd when I first heard it.

ReputationRep:
    It's not like they have control over their surname.

I've had a best friend with a double-barreled surname who wasn't a snob.

ReputationRep:
    My kids will probably have one as I intend to keep my name when I get married. I don't think anything of it, unless it's something really posh like Whittington-Smythe or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    When I was about 10 I went through a phase of using my mothers maiden name and double barrelling. It lasted about a week.

I quite like double barrelled surnames though, if they work well together.

ReputationRep:
    No I wouldn't assume someone who has a double barrelled name is a snob, I've met plenty of people who have a double barrelled surname and aren't pretentious. Sometimes a double barrelled surname can sound really nice, and other times it can sound quite funny, i.e. the previously mentioned example 'Whittington-Smythe' :p:

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who has a double-barreled surname, and he is probably one of the nicest people I've ever known. Connotations of being snobby and up your own arse are not entirely true; judging someone on their surname is low.

ReputationRep:
    if its just two surnames like e.g O'brian-smith put together then i its ok...if not quite cool tbh

its when it gets to samuel 'wright-of-warwickshire' or Henry 'duke-of-Canterbury' when you need to get running

ReputationRep:
    I have a double-barrelled surname. It definitely makes you sexy.

ReputationRep:
    I know quite a few chavs who have kids before they get married and they give their kids the double barrelled surname. Classy.
    I don't really think anything of it, if I saw a double barrelled name I probably would assume the person wasn't snobby exactly but definitely upper class. It's just a surname though at the end of the day. I wouldn't double barrell my surname because I realy can't see it going well with anything else!
    eta: and imo it looks stupid when you give yourself the double barrelled name. If you're born with one, fair play. Giving yourself a doube barreller isn't cool to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    I plan to have one when I get married- as I don't want to lose my maiden name! But I'm not upper class, or snobby, or anything like that. I'm actually "common as muck" according to my friends, lol
    Gemma, what will your children be called? Say if you're smith and your husband is wesson, and your kids are called Smith-Wesson, what then if THEY meet somebody who wants to keep their name, what will THEIR kids be called? You'll end up with triple barrelled names! For this reason I think we should stick with the system of the kids being named after one parent, not both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alibobs)
    I know quite a few chavs who have kids before they get married and they give their kids the double barrelled surname. Classy.
    I don't really think anything of it, if I saw a double barrelled name I probably would assume the person wasn't snobby exactly but definitely upper class. It's just a surname though at the end of the day. I wouldn't double barrell my surname because I realy can't see it going well with anything else!
    eta: and imo it looks stupid when you give yourself the double barrelled name. If you're born with one, fair play. Giving yourself a doube barreller isn't cool to me
    I understand what you mean about giving oneself a double-barrelled surname, but what if one's surname is Smith, and they hate the plainness; then they traced their family tree and found a surname of their 6 or 7x great grandparents which died out in the 1700s, and they wanted to 'revive' it by double barrelling?

ReputationRep:
    I don't like them, I think they can sound quite silly and some are a complete mouthful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DirtyPrettyThing)
    Gemma, what will your children be called? Say if you're smith and your husband is wesson, and your kids are called Smith-Wesson, what then if THEY meet somebody who wants to keep their name, what will THEIR kids be called? You'll end up with triple barrelled names! For this reason I think we should stick with the system of the kids being named after one parent, not both.
    Our children will be given a double barrelled name. When they marry, it is their choice what they wish to do.

My children would have my name if I had to pick one, not his.

ReputationRep:
    Try going to countries like Spain and Portugal, and tell me if you think they're snobby then.

ReputationRep:
    The Germans banned triple barreled surnames.

ReputationRep:
    I do make immediate connotations with posh people, yes. I'd rather take my wife's name than have a double-barrelled name TBH, not because I don't want to be seen as posh, I just don't like double-barrelled names.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.