The Student Room Group

Email a professor

May I know can I start the email with ‘Dear Professor’ ?
I know his name, but I don’t know which part of his name is the last name.
His name is in 3 parts.
Original post by Tmntmn
His name is in 3 parts.

It's usually the last part of his name if he follows western conventions. If you're based in Asian countries, it's usually the first part. I do not know any country that uses a convention where the last name is in the middle.
Original post by Tmntmn
His name is in 3 parts.

Hi there,

I think it is okay to address the email that way.
Usually you may be able to find seminar leader’s surname on timetables or emails, but I think it is polite to refer to them as ‘professor’.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
It's usually the last part of his name if he follows western conventions. If you're based in Asian countries, it's usually the first part. I do not know any country that uses a convention where the last name is in the middle.

Take Andrew Lloyd Webber (the composer) as an example. That's a name with three parts.

The question is -- is his surname "Webber" (with forenames "Andrew Lloyd"); or is his surname "Lloyd Webber" (with a single forename "Andrew")?
Reply 4
In the case of Andrew Lloyd Webber, the second and third names are the surname.
( he has a brother and son )

You could say “Dear Professor ABC,

And work from the reply , using whatever they sign as. Many Departments have a short bio on their web site that would give an indication of names.
Original post by martin7
Take Andrew Lloyd Webber (the composer) as an example. That's a name with three parts.

The question is -- is his surname "Webber" (with forenames "Andrew Lloyd"); or is his surname "Lloyd Webber" (with a single forename "Andrew")?

Kind of funny using the name of a famous composer as an example.

If it's something where the middle is part of the surname such as "Lloyd Webber", wouldn't the convention be to include a hyphen in between them e.g. Lloyd-Webber?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #1
Kind of funny using the name of a famous composer as an example.

If it's something where the middle is part of the surname such as "Lloyd Webber", wouldn't the convention be to include a hyphen in between them e.g. Lloyd-Webber?

Generally double-barrelled surnames are written with a hyphen, but not always.

Interestingly, Andrew Lloyd Webber (no hyphen) became Baron Lloyd-Webber (with hyphen) when he was elevated to the Lords.
Reply 7
Hey, I have just found that he hold the title of Dr, how can I email him in this way?
Original post by Tmntmn
Hey, I have just found that he hold the title of Dr, how can I email him in this way?

Dr. So-and-so?

I think you're overthinking this.
Reply 9
Original post by artful_lounger
Dr. So-and-so?

I think you're overthinking this.

But I don’t know his last name
Original post by Tmntmn

They won't care. Just use Professor.
Original post by Tmntmn
His name is in 3 parts.

Original post by Tmntmn

Original post by Tmntmn

You know all this yet he isn't googlable?

Dear Professor is fine. Using Dr when he's a Professor isn't (assuming you are writing to someone in the UK).
Original post by Tmntmn

If you really really don't want to offend him and play it completely safe, just put his full name with "Professor" in front.

You can ask for clarification when you meet him in person or when he corrects you.

As @artful_lounger has said, you're overthinking this.
To put this into context, academic staff receive hundreds of emails a week and they will spend about 0.0001 of a second skimming past the salutation.
Original post by Tmntmn

Just put doctor and write his full name after.
Reply 15
If he is a UK professor, use that.
Almost all teaching staff at uk universities hold doctorates.
The rank of Professor is higher.

If you’re using “professor” in the way that they do in the USA, it’s different

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending