The Student Room Group

In text citation

I am in my first year and I recently uploaded my first essay assignment for university, but after reading through it again after submission I noticed that I included the authors surnames and initials within my actual in text citations. Will I be marked down for this? As I think I am only meant to include surnames
Original post by Anonymous #1
I am in my first year and I recently uploaded my first essay assignment for university, but after reading through it again after submission I noticed that I included the authors surnames and initials within my actual in text citations. Will I be marked down for this? As I think I am only meant to include surnames

Hey!

It's understandable to be concerned about citation formatting. Generally, in-text citations should include only the author's last name. However, the impact on your grade depends on your instructor's preferences. I suggest reaching out to them or a teaching assistant for clarification on citation style expectations for your course. Most educators appreciate proactive students, and it's all part of the learning process. In the future, double-checking citation guidelines before submission can help ensure you're following the correct format. Best of luck with your assignment!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Student Ambassador
University of Southampton
Reply 2
Original post by UoS PG students

Hey!

It's understandable to be concerned about citation formatting. Generally, in-text citations should include only the author's last name. However, the impact on your grade depends on your instructor's preferences. I suggest reaching out to them or a teaching assistant for clarification on citation style expectations for your course. Most educators appreciate proactive students, and it's all part of the learning process. In the future, double-checking citation guidelines before submission can help ensure you're following the correct format. Best of luck with your assignment!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Student Ambassador
University of Southampton

Thank you so much for your help! I’ll contact my tutor and ask her about it. Hopefully it doesn’t go against me too harshly as it was an honest mistake :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending